By Osiris Mendez Cruz
Former multi-division champion Jhonny Gonzalez (52-8, 45KOs) is hoping to get his hands on Daniel Ponce de Leon in the first half of the year. Gonzalez lost his title to Ponce De Leon on September 15 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. A clash of heads opened up a bad cut in the eight round, forcing the figtht to an early end and giving Ponce a unanumous decision win to win Gonzalez's WBC featherweight title.
Ponce will defend the title against dangerous Puerto Rican boxer Jayson Velez on March 2. Gonzalez plans to fight in early February with a venue and opponent to be determined in the coming days. Gonzalez's team have a rematch clause to face Ponce and plan to meet him by the midway point of the year.
"Ponce will defend his title in March and we will fight in early February. What we want is to get into a rhythm and then collect our revenge. I'm sure that we will recover the WBC featherweight title and we will work hard to do so. If Ponce wins the fight, the rematch with him could be in June or July," said Gonzalez.
"Last week I spoke with [WBC President] Jose Sulaiman and discussed this situation regarding the pending fight with Ponce de Leon and he handed me his full support. He said that the WBC supports me - so automatically whoever wins that fight will have to face me, and that makes me happy and motivated to resume being a world champion."
Tags: Jhonny Gonzalez , Jayson Velez , Dib-Velez , Ponce De Leon-Velez , Ponce De Leon vs. Velez