Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Jaro Protests Zhong-Cuello Over Anti-Doping Violations

By Ronnie Nathanielsz

The manager of WBC minimumweight Silver champion Denver Cuelo, Aljoe Jaro, has filed a formal administrative protest with WBC president Jose Sulaiman over what his lawyer claims was “a serious breach of protocol, in the conduct of the championship.”
 
Atty. Richard Flores of the law firm of Flores, Mendiola and Associates pointed out that under Rules 4.7 and 4.8 which require urine samples to be taken before the fight and Rule 4.9 where it is mandatory to take the urine samples of both boxers for laboratory examination for compliance with anti-doping rules, were not done.
  
The formal administrative protest pursuant t Rule 5.2 of the WBC Rules and Regulations maintained that “it is the responsibility of the WBC Supervisor in charge (Patrick Cusik) who should have strictly enforced the rules since it was for the World Championship belt of our prestigious World Boxing Council.”
 
The lawyer told Sulaiman that the “serious charges should merit an immediate reaction and would justify, after due investigation, your issuance of an order for a rematch.”
 
At the same time Cuello’s manager requested Sulaiman to issue an order to champion Xiong Zhao Zhong who retained his title via a majority decision last Saturday at the World Trade Center in Dubai, not to engage in any fights “while the investigation is going on.”
 
However, the lawyer said that “in the unlikely event that our request be denied, may we, in the alternative, seek the mandatory right to challenge the winner” even as he warned that they will be “constrained to file the necessary legal action in a competent Court of jurisdiction, to protect the legal rights of manager Aljoe Jaro and challenger  Denver Cuello.
 
Cusick who was also the fight supervisor when Zhong won the vacant title beating unheralded Mexican Javier Hernandez Resendiz in Kunming last November was roundly criticized for his failure to ensure that Zhong and Cuello were paid their purses right after the official weigh-in even as Aljoe Jaro said the WBC supervisor was nowhere to be found after the fight ended with even the officials not being paid by KO Promotions headed by Zach Taumafai.
 
BoxingScene.com/Manila Standard’s contacts in Dubai revealed that after KO Promotions announced that the fight card had been called off an unidentified Chinese businessman offered to advance $60,000 which reportedly covered payment for the venue, security, the ring, chairs and venue personnel.
 
Zhong’s manager Liu Gang confirmed that the champion, like Cuello, did not receive his purse with Taumafai submitting an agreement to Aljoe Jaro and an initial payment of $2,500 while promising to settle his obligations including the money advanced by the manager for their airline tickets by installments up to the end of July.
 
Cuello’s purse, originally reported to be $40,000 was actually $24,000 or what KO Promotions said was 40 percent of the purse of the champion which was $60,000.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Post a Comment - View More User Comments (0)
Top Headlines Cotto Could Be in Line For WBO Shot - When Canelo Goes To 160 Cleverly: Braehmer Fight Has Been Five Years in The Making Wladimir Klitschko vs. Anthony Joshua? Yes, Please. Photo: Canelo Alvarez, With Splint, is Back To Putting in Work Victor Ortiz Arrested For Driving Under The Influence Joseph Parker Avoids Social Media as Fight Rumors Swirl Walters Warns Lomachenko: Remember Donaire? I Want a KO! Milan Melindo vs. Fahlan Sakkreerin, IBF Interim on November 26 Mayweather: If McGregor Stole My Blueprint, It's a Good Thing! Lomachenko vs. Walters Made Official For November 26, HBO Ganigan Lopez Injured: Pedro Guevara Will Now Face Tomogdan Robert Helenius To Return on December Date in Helsinki Randy Petalcorin Domintes Donnie Mabao Over Ten Rounds Joseph Parker vs. Andy Ruiz For Vacant WBO Title? Tyson Fury Will NOT Return in 2016, Says Peter Fury Sosa-Smith Winner is Contractually Bound To Face Fortuna Next Photos: Braehmer, Cleverly - Face To Face at Final Presser David Price Wants Parker or Top Name on Nov. 26, Not Allen Kell Brook Has Surgery - Wants Canelo, Cotto, Khan in 2017 Dennis Ceylan in Toughest Camp Ever For Ryan Walsh Clash Michael Conlan, Donnelly Named in Olympic Betting Judgement Diego Magdaleno vs. Art Hovhannisyan Set For October 7 Parker's Trainer: Dimitrenko is Bigger Challenge Than Haumono Tommy Langford-Sam Sheedy For Vacant British Belt, Oct. 22 Lou DiBella, Gary Shaw Fire Back at Jose Pedraza's Manager Duva: 'Modest Aspirations' For Kovalev-Ward PPV Performance Mayweather Sr: If Pacquiao Lost To Floyd Again, He'd Claim Injury Roach Will Have Pacquiao, Zou Shiming Spar as Bouts Near Parker's Title Prospects Increase as WBO Pressures Tyson Fury David Price vs. David Allen Clash in Play For October 15 Photos: Joseph Parker, Alexander Dimitrenko - Go Face To Face Miguel Cotto Return Targeted For February at Barclays Center Jose Ramirez: Pacquiao is Very Strong, Very Fast in Sparring Cecilia Braekhus Achieves Dream of Headlining on Home Soil Arum Rips: Golden Boy's Flat Fee Offer To Golovkin is Bullsh*t! Video: Bob Arum on Pacquiao Card, Future of PPV, More Estrada's Promoter Expects Chocolatito To Get KO'd in Rematch Photos: Mike Lee, Chris Traietti - Go Face To Face in Chicago Yordenis Ugas Demolishes Bryant Perrella in Four Rounds Magdaleno Confident of Making 122, Feels Donaire Has Aged
Advertisement
Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement