Massive underdog Jeff Horn won a bloody and brutal 'Battle of Brisbane', scoring a unanimous decision victory over eight division world champion Manny Pacquiao on Sunday [Saturday in the United States].
In front of a packed hometown crowd, with over 50,000 fans at Suncorp Stadium, Horn punched his ticket to boxing's big time with an incredible performance to claim Pacquiao's WBO welterweight championship.
The three judges scored the closely-fought bout 117-111, 115-113, 115-113 in Horn's favour. But, a lot of experts believe the outcome was controversial and Pacquiao did more than enough to win the fight.
Horn immediately called out Floyd Mayweather Jr. after the fight and declared himself "no joke" to the legions of boxing experts across the world who gave him no chance and mocked his credentials. He wants to face Mayweather, after the former pound-for-pound king finished up with UFC superstar Conor McGregor on August 26th at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
However, a rematch with Pacquiao later in the year looks a near-certainty after one of the biggest boxing upsets in recent memory.
INSIDE THE COMPUBOX NUMBERS
• Pacquiao outlanded Horn 182-92 in total punches, bolstered by a 29-8 edge in round nine
• Pacquiao had a 19-7 edge in power punches landed in round nine
• Horn threw more punches than Pacquiao in nine of twelve rounds (one even)
• Horn landed more power punches than Pacquiao in three rounds
• Pacquiao had a six punch or less edge in power shots landed in six rounds
• Horn out landed (7-5) and out threw (40-26) Pacquiao in power punches in round ten after getting battered in round nine
• Pacquiao landed 32% of his power punches vs. Horn- 10% lower than in his previous five fights
• Pacquiao's 32% landed power punches vs. Horn is his third lowest power connect percentage in 40 of his fights tracked by CompuBox (9/17/99 KO by 3 Singsurat-22% & 5/2/15 L 12 Mayweather- 27%)