By Rick Reeno
Moments ago, Kevin Cunningham, the manager/trainer of Cory Spinks, told BoxingScene that the proposed battle between IBF junior middleweight champion Cory Spinks and Floyd Mayweather, Jr. is likely off.
Earlier in the week, Cunningham had stated to the media that the fight between Spinks and Mayweather was a 99% done deal, with a press conference to officially announce the fight being the other 1%.
It appears that Mayweather has stepped away from a Spinks fight and decided to go with WBC welterweight champion Carlos Baldomir, as the opponent of choice for the November 4 pay-per-view event in Las Vegas.
"Everything was agreed upon. We signed on for the fight with Mayweather. We went to the IBF and they approved the fight, and then they (Mayweather's team) went and did something with Baldomir," Cunningham said.
Spinks still remains a possible opponent for Mayweather in February 2007.