Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

IBF's Refusal of Ortiz-Molina Leaves Hole on 12/14

By Rick Reeno

Golden Boy Promotions' scheduled Showtime pay-per-view, on December 14th, took a big hit on Tuesday, when the International Boxing Federation refused to sanction a junior middleweight title fight between IBF champion Carlos Molina (22-5-2, 6KOs) and the returning Victor Ortiz (29-4-2, 22KOs).

Golden Boy was working hard on trying to get Ortiz ranked at 154, but the sanctioning body held their position on refusing to allow the Molina fight to go forward (at least as a title fight). Ortiz, inactive since June 2012, was returning from back to back knockout defeats and had never fought above the welterweight limit.

"I just heard about it. I knew they were trying to get Ortiz ranked and obviously we wanted the fight, it's a high profile fight, number two on the card," said Molina's promoter, Leon Margules of Warriors Boxing, to BoxingScene.com.

The fight between Ortiz and Molina was the co-featured attraction to the headliner of Adrien Broner vs. Marcos Maidana, taking place at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Golden Boy's CEO, Richard Schaefer, is on his way to the East Coast, where his company is staging a Showtime televised tripleheader on Saturday night from the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City.

Because the IBF's decision came down a few hours ago, no determination had been made on whether or not Ortiz will remain on the card against a different opponent or if Golden Boy will put together an entirely new contest.

One possible option could be a fight between Ortiz and former three division world champion Shane Mosley, who on Monday officially withdrew from his Wednesday fight in Sydney with Anthony Mundine. The fight was scheduled to take place at junior middleweight and Mosley has gone through a very tough training camp.

Mosley had previously been offered a fight with Ortiz, but took a pass on the opportunity because Australian promoter Vlad Wharton promised a fee of $1 million dollars to face Mundine. Wharton advanced a sum of $300,000 but breached the agreement by failing to pay Mosley the remaining $700,000 before the fight.

James Prince, who manages Mosley, told BoxingScene that his fighter is certainly interested in fighting on December 14th with Ortiz - if the financial terms could be worked out.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by bizzle113 on 10-23-2013

[QUOTE=Tommy Gun;13865896]Come on bro its for the international title. Lol that bs don't count as a real championship. Wow, Pac is fighting for International titles now..... Lmfao how the mighty have fallen.[/QUOTE] it may seem smiall but its Arum way…

Comment by HeroBando on 10-22-2013

[QUOTE=ShoulderRoll;13865754]Meanwhile Lomachenko is getting a title shot in his next fight. I guess Arum greased a few palms and Schaeffer didn't. :dunno:[/QUOTE] None of those guys have a strong record of failure like Vic

Comment by Warrios on 10-22-2013

gb took anyone that's anybody from their roster over to showtime when hbo started refusing their bullsht fights (before the final break up). I wonder what they would do to the IBF, if anything, for refusing to sanction this fight.…

Comment by ShoulderRoll on 10-22-2013

[QUOTE=The Weebler I;13865990]It's a different sanctioning body.[/QUOTE] Yeah I know. Which just proves my point that there is no consistency in boxing across the different governing bodies.

Comment by thuggery on 10-22-2013

I like Ortiz Mosley but I don't want to leave the homie Molina hanging.

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (45)
Top Headlines Charlo's Trainer, Hatley Argue About Results of Spence Sparring Frank Warren: 1 Mill For Crolla To Face Flanagan, is Hearn Joking? Liam Smith Hopes To Land Miguel Cotto Showdown Thomas Stalker To Return In Leicester, April 22 Gervonta Davis vs. Liam Walsh: Anthony Yarde Added To Card Tony Bellew Admits He May Possibly Fight "Three" More Times Carson Jones: Kell Brook Will Beat Errol Spence! Marcos Reyes Plans Shocker: David Lemieux is NOT Invincible 30 years later, Tim Ryan on Leonard-Hagler and the Golden Age Mikey Garcia: If Gamboa Can Get a Title, I Would Fight Him Miguel Cotto Ring Return Being Positioned For June 24 Jermell Charlo: Hatley Hasn't Fought Near My Level of Competition Kudryashov-Durodola Rematch - WBC Final Eliminator, May 20 Juan Manuel Marquez Files Lawsuit Over Fraud, 2.3 Million Stolen Luis Ortiz: After My April Fight - I Want Wilder, Joshua or Parker! Srisaket Sor Rungvisai Receives Hero's Welcome at Home Arum Tired of Waiting, Gives Pacquiao Deadline To Decide on Horn Sullivan Barrera: Parker Fight is Another Step To a World Title Luis Ortiz vs. Derric Rossy Possible For Berto-Porter Card Froch: We May See The 'Best and Last' of Klitschko With Joshua Photos: Alberto Machado, Juan Jose Martinez - Go Face To Face Mayweather Gets Partial Win Over Ms. Jackson in Court Ruling Fonfara: Training With Virgil Hunter Will Make Me a Better Fighter Francisco Vargas Might Not Return to Ring Until Sometime in 2018 Samuel Clarkson: I'm Ready To Go To War With Dmitry Bivol! Josh Kelly will face Jay Byrne in Pro Debut on Burns-Indongo Luis Ortiz Inks Pact With Al Haymon Frank Warren Hits Golovkin With Deadline To Ink Saunders Deal Canelo vs. Chavez - Movie Theater Information Photos: Marco Huck, Mairis Briedis - Face To Face at Final Presser Joe Cordina To Make Pro Debut on Murray-Rosado Card, April 22 Roach Hopes Cotto Still Gets in Two Fights Before Retirement Mikey Garcia: If I Go Up To 140, I'd Be Interested in Crawford Fight Roach: 'I Would Love' to Have Pacquiao Fight Keith Thurman Roach: I've Changed My Mind, Golovkin CAN'T Beat Andre Ward! Anthony Joshua Reflects on His Roots, Connection To Nigeria Juanma Continues To Motivate as Clash With Entrenadorcito Nears Liam Smith Vows To Use Williams To Make Statement To Critics Video: Freddie Roach on Pacquiao, Cotto, Golovkin, More Amir Khan Not Ruling Out Conor McGregor Fight in UFC or Boxing
Advertisement
Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement