by Ronnie Nathanielsz
WBC Diamond Belt and WBO super bantamweight/junior featherweight champion Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire’s IBF belt, which he should have received after winning the title from Jeffrey Mathebula last July in California, is on the way.
When Donaire decided to relinquish his IBF title claiming he didn’t wish to pay the sanction fee amounting to $42,000 for the title fight against Japan’s Toshiaki Nishioka last October 13 and mentioned that he hadn’t received his IBF belt, we contacted IBF Championship Committee chairman Lindsey Tucker about it.
Tucker told BoxingScene.com/Manila Standard that Donaire “did not receive his IBF Championship Belt because Top Rank did not pay for the Belt until Aug. 24. A week later we sent an E-Mail to Top Rank asking them where do they want the IBF to send the Belt. Since then we sent at least one other E-Mail requesting an address to ship the Belt to. The IBF E-Mailed Top Rank again this morning and they told us where to ship the Belt. It will go out this morning. That is why Donaire never got his Belt. ”
Regarding the sanction fee mentioned by Donaire, Tucker said “the amount that we got was $750,000.00. 3% of that is $ 22,500.00. That was his purse amount. Plus, because we want everyone who fights for our Title to join the IBF Retirement Plan, Donaire was charged 2% of his purse or $ 15,000.00.”
The IBF executive told us that Donaire “is already in our Retirement Plan because he fought for our Flyweight Title and defended it at least once. The total deductions were $ 37,500.00, not $ 42,000.00.”
At the same time Tucker indicated “I don't know what the WBO charges but I think it's 3%. I'm willing to bet the WBC sanction fees were 3% or higher. He didn't have a problem paying those fees.”