By Miguel Rivera
The tension is building in Mexico. Former WBC lightweight champion Humberto "Zorrita" Soto is upset that Erik Morales, coming off a loss, was given the opportunity to fight for the WBC's vacant 140-pound title on September 17 against Lucas Matthysse, who also comes off a loss. Soto vacated his title and moved up in weight with the expectation that the WBC would reward him for his loyalty. The Mexican boxer has fought, and held their titles, for many years.
As previously reported, Soto (56-7-2, 32 KOs) made a request for the WBC to sanction his upcoming fight with Jose Alfaro (25-7-0, 22 KOs), scheduled for September 3 in Los Mochis, as a bout for the vacant interim-title, and that would make him the winner the mandatory for the Morales-Matthysse victor. Soto even said that he was willing to sign a promotional agreement with Golden Boy Promotions to secure a fight with Morales, should he win on 9/17.
Soto warns that if the WBC does not assist him with his latest title run, he will take his business elsewhere and fight for another sanctioning body.
"If I can not fight for the WBC championship, then I will look for another sanctioning body to win the junior welterweight belt," Soto said.