Hugo Ruiz Faces Yonfrez Parejo After Apolinario Falls Out
By Ronnie Nathanielsz
John Mark Apolinario’s crack at the WBA bantamweight interim title held by Mexico’s Hugo “Cuatito” Ruiz who has an awesome record of 26 knockouts in 29 wins with only one defeat has been called off.
Apolinario’s manager Dr. Rajan Yraola told BoxingScene.com/Manila Standard that they failed to get a US visa on time since the interview for a visa had been scheduled for March 29 and the interim title fight was scheduled for March 31 in Los Cabos, Baja California, Mexico which clearly didn’t give the fighter a chance to get to Mexico on time.
Ruiz will now face Venezuelan Yonfrez "Executioner" Parejo (11-0-1, 4 KOs)
Dr. Yraola said Apolinario was disappointed since he had trained hard for the past three months and was quietly confident even though there are those who believe the 22 year old, unranked Filipino was being rushed too soon against a hard-hitting Mexican.
Promoter Sammy Gello-ani who is a partner of well-known international promoter Sampson Lewkowicz who was co-promoting the bout said “this is an opportunity for Apolinario and he has been preparing for this title fight since last year.”
He said Apolinario looked good in his last bout when he scored a 2nd round technical decision over Menardo Zaragoza in Imus, Cavite on December 23, 2011 and he believes the promising young fighter “is ready for a big fight.”
Apolinario who won the vacant WBO Oriental super flyweight title with a unanimous twelve round decision over Vicente Palicte on September 26, 2010 was set to battle Ruiz, nicknamed “The Little Twin”, who is ranked No.1 by the WBA .
Apolinario’s manager said he is hoping that his fighter could get a crack at Ruiz at some later date.