By Francisco Salazar
Super welterweight prospects Hugo Centeno Jr. and Nick Brinson will square off in a 10 round bout on June 6th, manager Joel De La Hoya told Boxingscene.com on Wednesday afternoon.
De La Hoya manages the unbeaten Centeno.
The bout will headline a “ShoBox: The New Generation” telecast that will take place at the Turning Stone Resort and Casino in Verona, NY.
Centeno (20-0 1NC, 11 KOs) hails from Oxnard, CA and stopped Angel Osuna in the 10th round in his last bout on December 13th. Centeno was down on the cards and had been dropped during the bout before rallying in the final round.
Osuna suffered a head injury when he fell through the ropes and hit the back of his head on timekeeper’s bell. He spent several weeks in the hospital and is in recovery.
In his previous bout on September 12th, Centeno fought to a no contest against Juiian Williams when the bout was stopped in the fourth round due to a cut Centeno suffered from an accidental headbutt.
Brinson (16-1-2, 6 KOs) from nearby Albany is unbeaten in his last 10 bouts in a row. His most impressive victory to date was a 10 round unanimous decision over hard-hitting Jorge Melendez on June 7th.
Gordon Hall, the Vice President of Production at Showtime and Executive Producer of ShoBox, told Boxingscene.com on Tuesday that unbeaten junior middleweight Eddie Gomez will fight Francisco Santana.
Gomez (16-0, 10 KOs) defeated Daquan Arnett by unanimous decision over 10 rounds on January 30th in Brooklyn, NY.
Santana (19-3-1, 9 KOs) has won his last seven bouts in a row, three by stoppage.
Francisco A. Salazar has written for Boxingscene.com since September of 2012 and has covered boxing in Southern California and abroad since 2000. He also covers boxing for the Ventura County (CA) Star newspaper, RingTV, and Knockout Nation. He can be reached by email at email@example.com or on Twitter at FSalazarBoxing Tags: Hugo Centeno