By Francisco Salazar
Unbeaten junior middleweight Hugo Centeno Jr. will fight hard-hitting veteran Allen Conyers on December 15th, manager Joel De La Hoya told Boxingscene.com last week.
The bout will take place on the undercard of the Amir Khan-Carlos Molina fight, which takes place at the Sports Arena in Los Angeles, CA.
Centeno (16-0, 8 KOs) hails from the fight town of Oxnard, CA. He is coming off a one-sided, six-round unanimous decision over Justin Williams in his last fight this past October.
The 21 year old Centeno is promoted by Golden Boy Promotions.
Conyers, who hails from the Bronx, NY, is best known for his first round war with James Kirkland back on November 30th, 2007. Conyers dropped Kirkland once before he was stopped by the hard-hitting southpaw.
In his last fight on April 26th, Conyers (12-7, 9 KOs) was stopped by Carson Jones in the ninth round. He has lost five of his last six bouts.
De La Hoya, who manages other unbeaten prospects including Centeno, hopes the young Oxnard fighter will make a statement in his fight against Conyers.
"Hugo has a lot of talent, but it's taken him a while to develop that talent to the next level," said Joel De La Hoya who is the brother of Oscar De La Hoya. "We want him to be a more aggressive and want to make a good statement on Dec. 15."
Centeno's fight with Conyers will likely be scheduled for eight rounds and could be televised on Showtime Extreme.
Tags: Golden Boy Promotions , Allen Conyers , Hugo Centeno