Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Holt Livid: I Want Josesito as My First 2013 KO Victim!

By Keith Idec

Kendall Holt respects what Josesito Lopez has accomplished the past three months.

The former WBO junior welterweight champion liked Lopez’s aggressive approach to his junior middleweight title fight last week with Saul “Canelo” Alvarez. What Holt didn’t appreciate was something Lopez said in the days preceding the biggest fight of his career.

While mildly amused by Lopez saying Holt would be added to his Christmas card list, the Paterson, N.J., native took exception to Lopez’s flippant explanation for Holt not fighting him June 22. To place it in proper context, here’s what Lopez told reporters in Las Vegas: “Come Christmas time, maybe I should [send Holt a card]. I was really mad at him for pulling out, but then we got the news basically the following day [about the Victor Ortiz fight]. I guess now I got to thank him.

“Without him punking out, I would never have gotten the opportunity to be here today.”

Holt hadn’t signed a contract for what was to be an ESPN2 “Friday Night Fights” main event, but agreed to contract terms before the site for the fight was secured by Dan Goossen, Lopez’s co-promoter. Once Holt learned the fight would take place at an outdoor venue in Southern California, during daylight hours, he passed on the fight.

The 31-year-old Holt (28-5, 16 KOs) reiterated recently that he would’ve fought Lopez (30-5, 18 KOs, 1 NC) that night if the fight was indoors, but also was concerned that the Soboba Casino in San Jacinto, Calif., is about a 30-minute drive from Lopez’s hometown of Riverside, Calif. Lopez and Holt also would’ve been paid less than a tenth apiece of what Lopez earned to oppose Alvarez ($212,000), largely because ESPN’s weekly budget for its “Friday Night Fights” series pales in comparison to those of HBO and Showtime.

“First, I’ve never punked out of a fight in my life,” Holt said. “I signed to fight inside a casino, away from his hometown, on his promoter’s TV date. If his people didn’t change the venue I would have happily beat his [butt] at the Morongo [Casino Resort & Spa in Cabazon, Calif.], where I had my last knockout [a two-round, four-knockdown destruction of Tim Coleman on March 16].”

For the record, it was about 80 degrees in San Jacinto at the exact time when Holt and Lopez would’ve fought. The bigger problem was that the ring was not properly covered and the sun was shining into the eyes of other boxers who fought on ESPN2 that night at Soboba Casino.

Lopez exploited a huge opportunity the next night, when he broke Ortiz’s jaw and made the former WBC welterweight champion quit after the ninth round at Staples Center in Los Angeles. The 27-year-old Lopez promptly moved up another weight class to challenge Alvarez (41-0-1, 30 KOs), who stopped Lopez in the fifth round at MGM Grand.

He is expected to move back down to welterweight or junior welterweight for his next fight.

Re-enter Holt, who is recovering from surgery last month to repair partial tears to the rotator cuff and labrum in his right shoulder.

“He got a lucky punch in on Ortiz in a fight he was clearly losing,” Holt said. “I want him to move back down to [140]. He can be my first victim of 2013 and my first KO victim that I fight with two arms instead of one, like I’ve been doing the last six or seven years.”

Keith Idec covers boxing for The Record and Herald News, of Woodland Park, N.J., and BoxingScene.com. He can be reached on Twitter @Idecboxing.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by the_ilest on 09-26-2012

thats a good fight. i hope they make it morongo or pechanga casino. thats like 20 minutes from my house.

Comment by Mr. Philadel on 09-26-2012

[QUOTE=kiaba360;12550029]Dayum, Josesito is coming off an ass whupping against a 154lber, and fighters are trying to pick up the scraps lol[/QUOTE] vultures!!!...eating off another man's kill!!...with that said, Rated R is my dude...but he's fallen off and I think Lopez…

Comment by LeG00N on 09-26-2012

[QUOTE=Ringlife;12552722]Holt nobody cares.[/QUOTE] This.......

Comment by Ringlife on 09-26-2012

Holt nobody cares.

Comment by Corelone on 09-25-2012

[QUOTE=kiaba360;12550029]Dayum, Josesito is coming off an ass whupping against a 154lber, and fighters are trying to pick up the scraps lol[/QUOTE] He is aiming low, but maybe that's all he feels he can handle. Mr. Holt, please wait for the…

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (10)
Top Headlines Tony Bellew Has Options in Fallout of David Haye Rematch Zolani Tete Explains Record Breaking Knockout, The Aftermath Frank Warren on Frampton's Win, Tete's Big KO, Conlan's Loss Saunders: Khan on Celeb Show For 100K, Fight Brook For Millions! Golovkin's Promoter: We're Ready, Canelo Just Has To Say "Yes' Bellew's Coach: We Are Devastated That David Haye Withdrew Arum: HBO's Nelson is an Amateur, SHO's Espinoza is Competent! Kovalev's Return a Reminder of Prolonged Stevenson Frustration Jacobs: First Fight Was 50-50 - 100% I Win The Golovkin Rematch! Zolani Tete Dares Ryan Burnett To Get in The Ring, Unify Belts Cyborg Still Plans To Pursue Boxing Run Despite New UFC Deal Photos: Miguel Cotto Grinding Hard For Sadam Ali Showdown Photos: Devon Alexander, Walter Castillo - Ready For Battle Photos: Mayweather Foundation Annual Thanksgiving Giveaway Photos: Gennady Golovkin Visits Children's Hospital in Mexico Amir Khan Fails, Screams in First 'I'm A Celebrity Bushtucker Trial' Golovkin: If Canelo Doesn't Want To Fight, I Want The WBO Belt Mayweather Boxing + Fitness Readies For Launch in Los Angeles Bellew Could Have Interim Fight Depending on Haye's Rehab Time Hearn: David Haye Was Distraught, I've Never Seen Him Like That AIBA, Wu Reach Agreement - Wu To Step Down From His Post Nico Hernandez vs. Jozsef Ajtai Set For December 2 Dillian Whyte Throws Hat In Ring To Fight Bellew, Replace Haye Tyson Fury Ready To Step In For David Haye, Fight Tony Bellew Weekend Review: Zolani Tete's Stock Rises, Frampton Wins Tough David Haye Forced Out of Bellew Rematch With Bicep Injury Warren: Carl Frampton 'Won’t Wait Around' for Leo Santa Cruz Peterson's Long Layoff 'No Concern at All' Before Spence Fight Golovkin: I'm Ready For The Rematch - Is Canelo Ready? Josh Taylor: The Next Step Could Be Anthony Yigit, Euro Title Frampton Admits: Performance Was Mediocre, But Win is a Win Eric Donovan Back on December 2, National Stadium in Dublin Bellew's Coach Expects Haye To Shed Weight, Come in Lighter Macklin Gives His Take on Frampton's Win, Conlan's TKO Loss Golovkin: If There is a Big Fight at 168 - I Would Move Up Dela Torre Vows To Bounce Back After Loss To Nyambayar Evander Holyfield Helps Boxing Take Major Fighter Safety Strides David Price: I Felt Joshua Would Wipe Wilder Out - Not Anymore Shawn Porter: I'm Ready For Keith Thurman as Soon as Possible! Custio Clayton vs. Carlos Molina on Saunders vs. Lemieux Card
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement