Advertisement
Advertisement

Holt-Allakhverdiev Fight Canceled Due To Visa Issues

By Keith Idec

A June 20 bout between former junior welterweight champion Kendall Holt and Khabib Allakhverdiev was canceled Friday due to Holt’s visa issue.

Holt, of Paterson, N.J., was scheduled to fly to Moscow on Wednesday for a 10-round, 140-pound fight against the unbeaten Russian southpaw.

His attorney, Patrick English, said Friday that Holt’s undisclosed visa problem could not be resolved in time for the ex-WBO titleholder to make the trip halfway around the world. Holt’s contract called for him to arrive in Moscow no fewer than six days before the fight for promotional purposes.

“It’s something that could’ve been resolved if we had more time to work it out,” English said. “This time frame wouldn’t allow it, so unfortunately the fight had to be canceled.”

It was not known Friday if Vladimir Hryunov, Allakhverdiev’s promoter, would try to reschedule the Holt-Allakhverdiev fight for later in the summer or go in a different direction. Hryunov agreed to pay the 31-year-old Holt (28-5, 16 KOs) a six-figure purse for the opportunity for Allakhverdiev to face a proven American junior welterweight, but the 29-year-old Allakhverdiev (16-0, 7 KOs) will have to continue waiting for that chance.

Allakhverdiev, who is trained by former undisputed junior welterweight champ Kostya Tszyu, is ranked No. 11 by the WBA. Holt is ranked No. 6 by the IBF and No. 5 by the WBO.

This cancelation marked the second time in three weeks one of Holt’s fights did not proceed as planned.

Holt had agreed to box Josesito Lopez (29-4, 17 KOs) on June 22 in an ESPN2 “Friday Night Fights” main event, but he decided not to sign a contract after Dan Goossen, Lopez’s promoter, secured Soboba Casino in San Jacinto, Calif., as the site for the fight. Holt was concerned about boxing Lopez, of nearby Riverside, Calif., outside during the summer in Southern California, especially since their 12-round IBF elimination match would’ve started before the sun went down.

Holt had hoped to get the Lopez fight rescheduled for sometime in July, at another venue, but Lopez pounced on a more lucrative opportunity to face former welterweight champ Victor Ortiz (29-3-2, 22 KOs) on June 23 at Staples Center before those talks took place between Goossen and Gary Shaw, Holt’s promoter.

Keith Idec covers boxing for The Record and Herald News, of Woodland Park, N.J., and BoxingScene.com.
User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by macman on 06-09-2012

Damn, was looking forward to this one. Allakhverdiev looking very good so far, but this is a good step up against a dangerous fighter - do hope it's rescheduled. Also, sloppy damn work from Holt's people - this is the…

Comment by LAPete on 06-09-2012

This might be a blessing in disguise. Smart money would have a fighter travel half way around the world to fight at least one month in advance to insure that the fighter gets adjusted to the time change and the…

Comment by anonymous2.0 on 06-08-2012

Incompetent. Visas, passports, and all that other paperwork should have been done beforehand during negations so there wouldn't be this issue. Now you lose money because the team was unprofessional enough to say 'Hey, am I all set to go…

Comment by tripper on 06-08-2012

Zab judah is over there so he should step up and avenge his daft chicken dance knock out. Why do people wait until 1 week before a fight to try get a visa. Numptys

Comment by Unseen on 06-08-2012

Holt was going to make 100K which is more than what he normally gets.

Post a Comment/View More User Comments (6)
Top Headlines Arum: Gilberto Ramirez is The Complete Opposite of Chavez Jr. Early Fight Results From Ontario, California: Rudy Puga Wins Thurman: Brook Went 12, Do I Stop Porter? I Plan To Hurt Him! Marquez, Sulaiman Disagree on Canelo-Khan Being Mismatch Photos/Weights: Alex Saucedo vs. Clarence Booth, More Roy Jones Jr. To Fight Again - Against a 'Fan' in Odd PPV Event! Gabriel Campillo Explains Decision To Retire From Boxing Eddie Gomez Extends Pact With Golden Boy Promotions Roman Martinez-Miguel Berchelt Lands at Poliforum Zamna, 3/12 Thurman: Khan Took 'Easier' Canelo, Brook Tougher For Him McJoe Arroyo-Jerwin Ancajas Heads To The Philippines on 4/16 Povetkin's Promoter: I Think We'll Reach Wilder Deal Without Bids McWilliams Arroyo Confident He Can Shock Roman Gonzalez Froch: I Think About a Comeback Every Day, But I'm Realistic Felix Verdejo Has April Fight Set For Puerto Rico Willie Monroe Return is Pushed Back After Opponent Snafu Santa Cruz vs. Martinez: Hunter, Mendez, Marrero Added Marquez: Khan Can Win, But Canelo Can KO Him at Any Time Roman Gonzalez-McWilliams Arroyo Done For Golovkin-Wade Avtandil Khurtsidze, Giovanni Lorenzo Set For Broadway Boxing Vargas Predicts He'll Make Sadam Ali Quit; 'Not On My Level' Wlodarczyk Faces Brudov on 3/4, Shumenov in Play For April Abel Sanchez Not Viewing Andre Ward's Inactivity as Advantage Quigg Motivated By Fear of Losing as Frampton Bout Nears Khan: Mayweather, Pacquiao Would Be Easier Than Canelo! Ballisai Replaces Kevin Mitchell in Tatli EBU Title Fight on 3/18 Pungluang Sor Singyu Retains WBO Belt With Technical Nod Win Mayweather Stumped on Who Would Win Fury vs. Wilder Floyd Mayweather: Timing Was Not Right For Amir Khan Bout Roy Jones Jr. and Kevin Mitchell: A Tale of Two Retirements McWilliams Arroyo Creeps In, Eyed For Roman Gonzalez Bout Marquez Says There Have Been Talks For Miguel Cotto Bout Photos: Povetkin Getting Jacked, in Beast Mode For Deontay Wilder Estrada's Promoter Questions Chocolatito's Pound For Pound Rank Luis Ortiz Content With Random Testing To Prove He's Clean Bob Arum: I Don't Ever Want To Retire! Why Would I? Robert Garcia Hopes Brother Mikey is Back in First Half of 2016 Tarver's Suspension Upheld, Fined $50K For Positive PED Test Lucas Matthysse-Pablo Cesar Cano Showdown in Talks Bob Arum Continues To Be The Master of Salesmanship
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement