By Nick Parkinson, courtesy of The Daily Star
TYSON FURY has been warned he will have to wait for a clash of the giants against David Price.
Both British heavyweights extended their unbeaten records at the weekend and Price’s promoter Frank Maloney has offered £650,000 to make a fight with Fury.
Liverpool’s 6ft 8in British champion Price stopped 45-year-old Matt Skelton in two rounds on Friday, before 6ft 9in Fury moved one fight away from a WBC world title shot with a points win over American Kevin Johnson in Belfast on Saturday.
But Fury’s promoter Mick Hennessy has dismissed Maloney’s offer as “a joke” and is demanding much more to get it on.
Hennessy said: “If David Price doesn’t step up to the plate on our terms, the fight won’t happen. I don’t think it will happen soon because he doesn’t want any of Tyson Fury really. Without Tyson there’s no story with David Price.
He’s just trying to get publicity by calling out Tyson.
“If Price and Maloney are going to put out offers, they need to make the offers serious.
“Tyson has said he will do the fight but he doesn’t want anything to do with Frank Maloney after he called him a coward.
“If the fight is to happen, Price needs to accept it will not be 50-50 because Tyson has a much higher ranking and profile.
“If Frank Maloney believes it’s a massive fight that could happen in a stadium, he is not in the right ball park with that figure of £650,000. That sort of talk is the talk of a village idiot and the offer is a joke.”
Hennessy has other plans for the Morecambe-based former domestic champion after Fury edged closer to a world title shot by grinding down Johnson.
Fury earned two scores 119-108 along with a 119-110 to move second in the queue to face WBC champion Vitali Klitschko.
But Ukrainian Klitschko, 41, is considering retirement and that could mean Fury would face the winner of Chris Arreola against Bermane Stiverne for the vacant title.
Hennessy says Fury could be back in action in an interim fight in February or March, while he waits to learn if Klitschko will be boxing on.
He added: “We are going to see what Vitali decides to do this month. If there’s no decision and they drag it out, Tyson will box again in late February or early March, possibly making his American debut.
“Vitali or the vacant title is the fight we would like.”
Tags: David Price , Tyson Fury