Advertisement
Advertisement

Hekkie Budler To Defend His Titles in February

By Mesuli Zifo

Newly-anointed WBA minimumweight champion Hekkie Budler will have to risk his new belt as early as February 15 when he will feature on a Golden Gloves Promotion (GGP) tournament scheduled to be held at Emperors Palace, Kempton Park in South Africa.
Budler is basking on the glory of his upgrading as the full WBA champion following the granting of his request by the Panama-based world body in the wake of Ryo Miyazaki's abdication of the title to move up to the junior flyweight.

Having acquired an interim crown following his four rounds destruction of over-matched Argentinian Hugo Verchelli last November, Budler's elevation has now made him the second WBA champion from South African with Simpiwe Vetyeka being the other after his six rounds victory of Indonesian legend Chris John for the featherweight version this past December.

While GGP was waiting for the response of the WBA regarding the elevation of Budler to a full champion status, the diminutive fighter who also holds the IBO crown was slotted into the February 15 event following the withdrawal of the IBO junior featherweight title defence by Thabo Sonjica to Tshifhiwa Munyai.

Sonjica turned down the fight after his demands for a better purse were shot down by GGP boss Rodney Berman.

Berman hastily secured Budler to defend his IBO title on the card but then the news of his upgrade as the full champion came, forcing for a change of an opponent.

“We are still searching for an opponent for Hekkie and this opponent has to be approved by the WBA as he will be defending his new title as well as the IBO,” Berman says.
Berman is however confident that the new foe will be secured before the press conference next Tuesday officially announcing the fight.

The 25-year-old Budler( 24-1, 7 Kos) has defended his IBO title four times with the biggest win being the one he obtained over Nkosinathi Joyi in June last year.

Tags: Hekkie Budler image  
User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by giacomino on 01-09-2014

[QUOTE=hougigo;14117248]I see thy approved his request[/QUOTE] Yup. The story says he's "basking on the glory" of getting to beat up a novice nobody for an interim belt and then getting upgraded when the real champion vacated. Hard to imagine anything…

Comment by Hougigo on 01-09-2014

I see thy approved his request

Comment by artfuL_ on 01-09-2014

Raymi is waiting and is hungry to rip those titles away.

Post a Comment/View More User Comments (3)
Top Headlines Sanchez Will Have Barrera Ready For Andre Ward's Clinching Ovill McKenzie-Dmytro Kucher Purse Bid Won By Frank Warren Manny Pacquiao and Timothy Bradley: Defying Newton's Laws Golovkin-Wade Title Fight Confirmed For April 23 At The Forum Williams-Matano Title Eliminator Tops March 5 SHO Tripleheader Jason Quigley To Return on March 25th at Fantasy Springs Lightweight Contender Kevin Mitchell Announces Retirement Trash-Talking Lundy Admits Crawford Has ‘Got The Goods’ Sanchez on Facing Andre Ward With Barrera Instead of Golovkin Nielsen-Marghetti Tops March 19 Bill In Copenhagen Daily Bread Mailbag: Canelo vs. Khan, Brook, Kovalev, More Stephen Ormond is Hoping To Raise Irish Spirits Joshua-Martin: Eddie Hearn Hoping To Get The Fight Done Anthony Joshua To Parker: Talk is Cheap Until The Bell Rings Khan: Canelo Deal Was So Smooth, Finalized Within Days The Real Comeback of Andre Ward Amir Khan Confident: If I Hit Canelo Clean, I Can Hurt Him! Herring Dominates Flores; Williams Survives Late Scare Mayweather Not Concerned With Canelo-Khan on 5/7 Date Roman Gonzalez Says Return Will Happen on Golovkin-Wade Rey Vargas To Return on Leo Santa Cruz-Kiko Martinez Card Timothy Bradley Formally Vacates WBO Welterweight Title Chavez Sr. Not Happy With Canelo-Khan, Wants Canelo-Golovkin Andre Ward-Sullivan Barrera Confirmed For March 26 in Oakland Photos: Manny Pacquiao Flexing His Political Muscle Back Home Golden Boy VP: Shabranskyy Was Willing To Face Andre Ward Billy Dib: Thank God I Finally Got Away From 50 Cent! Francisco Vargas vs. Orlando Salido Still a Possibility? Martinez-Berchelt On Course For March 12 After WBO Rejects Appeal Julio Ceja, Hugo Ruiz Ready For Rematch War on Feb. 27th Anthony Joshua-Charles Martin in Serious Talks, Says Hearn Zou Shiming Ring Return Draws 36.5 Million Viewers in China Gabe Bracero Arrested After Allegedly Beating Up Cop Rigondeaux To Train At Derry Mathews' Gym In Liverpool Oscar Duarte Signs With Golden Boy, Returns February 19 Juan Hernandez Has Chocolatito In Sights After Latest Win Gallagher: Canelo is Not Golovkin, Amir Khan Can Win K. Porter: Shawn Will Punish Keith Thurman Until He Breaks Lomachenko on When He Learned Mike Tyson Was Not Ukrainian Masternak Returns on Loaded April 2 Bill In Krakow
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement