Hearn: I'm Still Confident I Can Make Froch-Groves II

By Phil Barnett, Press Association Sport (@BarnettoPA)

Promoter Eddie Hearn admits negotiations over a rematch between Carl Froch and George Groves are proving "frustrating" but remains confident the scrap will eventually happen.

Animosity between the two fighters is not helping the process as Groves seeks revenge following his controversial ninth-round defeat by the WBA/IBF super-middleweight champion last year.

Many felt Groves was unfairly stopped by referee Howard Foster after having floored Froch early on and dominated much of the fight. The IBF agreed, ordering a rematch between the British pair, but Hearn confirmed they are still some way from agreeing the clash.

He told Press Association Sport: "We're still going. I think purse bids will be called this week and it will take 28 days until they happen.

During that time you can still negotiate.

"It's frustrating. Earlier this week it felt like we were quite close and then it was not so close a few hours later.

"I'm still hopeful we can get there, as I have been from the start.

"Both fighters have probably got to loosen their belts a little bit and then hopefully we can get there.

"It's frustrating at the moment but we're still hopeful."

Matchroom boss Hearn added: "It would be a crime for it not to happen but I believe it will.

"As the promoter I have to look at all the options for Carl Froch, including Julio Cesar Chavez Jr and Gennady Golovkin as potential opponents . But, ultimately, this is the biggest fight out there, I've said that from day one.

"The IBF's decision to call for the rematch both helped and hindered the possibility of the fight. It helped because Carl doesn't want to vacate his IBF belt really, so he probably will fight George.

"But it hindered because they ordered the purse bids with an 85 percent-15 percent split, which ultimately lowers George's bargaining position, which doesn't really work that well in negotiations between two people who don't particularly like each other.

"So it's helped and it's hindered the process but I'm still confident we can make it happen."

Nottingham veteran Froch climbed from the canvas after a first-round knockdown to battle his way back against the Londoner in their initial bout, swinging the action in his favour before piling on the pressure and prompting referee Foster's stoppage at the Manchester Arena in November.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by Dirk Diggler UK on 02-05-2014

[QUOTE=FrankieBruno;14208584]fight has to happen hern is not letting either of them walk away from millions[/QUOTE] The only one who'd be walking away from millions is Ugly Kid. Froch can walk away from millions and walk back into millions.

Comment by MDPopescu on 02-05-2014

I've started actually the same thread with this one here -- I didn't notice that the article on the SkySports website was mentioned here already... [url][/url]

Comment by FrankieBruno on 02-05-2014

[QUOTE=MDPopescu;14208620]Of course... Away from "his" millions...[/QUOTE] well yea lol

Comment by MDPopescu on 02-05-2014

[QUOTE=FrankieBruno;14208584]fight has to happen hern is not letting either of them walk away from millions[/QUOTE] Of course... Away from "his" millions...

Comment by FrankieBruno on 02-05-2014

fight has to happen hern is not letting either of them walk away from millions

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (12)
Top Headlines Tim Bradley: I Need To Retire A Winner, Capture One More Title Eric Molina: I'll Fight Anthony Joshua or David Price on Dec. 10 Canelo: It Would Be an Honor To Rematch Miguel Cotto Kevin Lerena Confident of Knocking Micki Nielsen Out Dejan Zlaticanin: I'm Fighting Mikey Garcia on January 28 Custio Clayton Stops Ramses Agaton in Eight Rounds in Montreal WBO Prez To Canelo Critics: Why Did Golovkin Reject Andre Ward! Terence Crawford Seeks Foe For 12/10, Antonio Orozco Next? Chavez Sr. Expects His Son To Return Stronger, Better Than Ever Jessie Magdaleno, Oscar Valdez Discuss Their PPV Fights Golovkin, Sanchez Frown at Golden Boy's Offer To Face Canelo Charlo-Williams, Cuellar-Mares, Promoted By Schaefer, on Dec. 10 Photos: LaRon Mitchell, Scott Alexander Ready For Battle Photos: Valdez, Magdaleno Putting in Work For PPV Fights Golovkin's Promoter Willing To Make Concessions To Get Canelo David Price: If I Land Joshua, I'm Going in There To Do Damage WBO Prez: No Doubt Canelo Knocks Mayweather Out in Rematch! Orlando Salido's Adviser Provides Update on Back Injury Abel Sanchez Has High Expectations For Alex Saucedo Photos: Gennady Golovkin is a Big Hit in Mexico City Parker-Ruiz Approved For WBO Belt, Winner Must Face David Haye Sam Soliman Over The Moon With Court Victory in Germany Coyle-Hibbert, Scarpa-Davies, Bellotti Set For Nov 26 at Wembley Hearn Frustrated: Klitschko-Browne is Huge Letdown For Fans! Carl Frampton Says Rematch Deal Finalized With Leo Santa Cruz Chilemba Training With Roy Jones Jr. For Oleksandr Gvozdyk Alberto Palmetta, Olympian, Inks With Sampson, Maravilla Photos: Frankie Gavin, Sam Eggington Square Up at FInal Presser Abel Sanchez: Golovkin Can Be Nice, Gassiev Wants To Hurt You! Tony Thompson: That ‘Fool’ Dillian Whyte Is C-Level, Easy Work Roberto Duran: Canelo Alvarez Will Beat Gennady Golovkin! Magdaleno: I Want To Send Nonito Donaire Into Retirement Hooker: 140 is a Tough Division, Terence Crawford is Top Dog David Price Willing To Replace Klitschko, Fight Anthony Joshua Hearn: I Think Klitschko Might Be Looking For Easier Fight Micki Nielsen-Kevin Lerena: Muller Breaks Down The Fight Jeff Horn, Rico Mueller on Weight - Both Promise To Win Big Canelo Says Saunders, Golovkin Both on The Agenda for 2017 Robert Helenius, Sauerland Settle Dispute - Will Work Together HBO and The Good Ol' Days Mythology

Latest Active Forum Threads