By Nick Parkinson, courtesy of The Daily Star
DAVID HAYE and Dereck Chisora are set to settle their differences in the ring at Upton Park on July 14 – without boxing licences if need be.
After their brawl at a post-fight press conference in Munich three months ago, it now seems likely the Londoners will meet in the ring for the biggest heavyweight fight of the year.
Over 20,000 fans will be expected to watch Haye and Chisora at West Ham’s ground and thousands more potentially on the satellite channel BoxNation.
There will be a backlash from those insisting the pair should not profit from the ugly brawl that shocked the world – but the Daily Star Sunday understands the fight is ON.
And the fact that neither has – or can get – a boxing licence for July 14 does not seem to be a problem that will stop the fight from happening.
Chisora, 28, had his boxing licence withdrawn by the British Boxing Board of Control for scrapping with Haye following his points loss to Vitali Klitschko in Germany.
Chisora’s appeal against that decision has been postponed by the Board with no new date set and the Board insists he must be seen to be a ‘fit and proper person’ before he can resume his career.
Haye, 31, also does not hold alicence and has not applied for one after announcing his retirement in October after losing his WBA world title to Wladimir Klitschko last summer in Germany.
But the lack of licences will not stop the pair from meeting in the ring with the possibility it will happen as an unlicensed fight which will be outside the British Boxing Board of Control’s jurisdiction.
Chisora’s manager and promoter Frank Warren is holding a press conference at Upton Park on Tuesday where it is expected the showdown will be announced.
Warren did not want to confirm the rumours yesterday and said: “It’s difficult for me to comment on it at the moment. There’s a lot of stuff that has happened.”
But Warren has previously said the fight is ‘inevitable’ and is ‘the biggest fight out there’.
Scotland’s Ricky Burns, 29, will also defend his WBO world lightweight title against East End hero Kevin Mitchell, 27, on the same bill, it is expected to be announced.
Chisora, who is expected to be at Tuesday’s press conference, clashed with Haye following his points loss to Vitali Klitschko.
German police are currently investigating the incident and last week contacted journalists at the press conference to give accounts of what they saw during the confrontation between the two boxers.
Haye smacked Chisora before the pair fell to the ground scrapping. Haye then allegedly chinned Chisora’s trainer Don Charles and hurled a camera tripod across the room.
Chisora had previously slapped Vitali Klitschko in the face at the weigh-in and then spat water in the face of the Ukrainian’s brother, Wladimir.
Another option for Warren if there are problems staging it at Upton Park is taking Haye-Chisora abroad but there is a possibility the BBBC may reluctantly sanction the fight.