Haye Feels He Won't Get Klitschko, May Retire After 7/14
By Nick Parkinson, courtesy of The Daily Star
DAVID HAYE has given up on facing the Klitschkos after his clash with Dereck Chisora.
He had hoped to take on WBC champion Vitali, 40 – but the Ukrainian is set to face Syrian Manuel Charr on September 8, before hanging up his gloves to go into politics.
Wladimir, 36, has said he has no interest in facing Haye again, after adding the Londoner’s WBA belt to his IBF and WBO world titles in a points triumph last summer.
Londoner Haye, 31, admits his comeback at Upton Park on July 14 – after announcing his retirement in October – is set to be for one fight only, after being left frozen out by the brothers.
“The Klitschkos’ manager Bernd Boente said to fight Chisora and then the winner fights Vitali,” said Haye.
“Now it seems like he is fighting someone I’ve never heard of called Jimmy Carr, or something.
“There’s a reason for him choosing this opponent because they know Vitali will knock him out, look good and get a nice win before going into politics.
“This one will be a KO and it won’t be like his last one with Chisora, which was a tough one for Vitali. Whether he’s happy with that I don’t know but he won’t have had the big fight he wanted.
“Wladimir has said he doesn’t want to fight me again, which is fair enough, so I don’t think a rematch is realistic. That fight would only have happened if I had fought Vitali and won.
“I’ve not thought beyond this fight but if there’s no Klitschko fight, it’s going to be back for one fight only.
“My last fight was a loss and if I had to stay retired it’s not ideal to go out on a loss – but I can put that right against Chisora.”
Bad-boy Chisora, 28, insists he is not trying to clean up his image with his recent charity work.
He brawled with Haye at a post-fight press conference in February, after spitting water into the face of Wladimir and slapping Vitali across the face at the weigh-in.
Chisora is sparring with the unbeaten Welsh WBO world light-heavyweight Nathan Cleverly, as he prepares to fight Haye.
He said: “I went to a Nordoff Robbins charity event and there was a guy there named Andy, who had been hit by a car when he was very young and became wheelchair-bound.
“They told him he would never even talk again but here he is playing the piano and
even teaching me how to play.
“The charity made me feel I wanted to do more of that work.
“I thought, ‘Stop taking things for granted, always be true to yourself’, because what I saw at that event broke my heart.
“It doesn’t matter if you are the baddest guy on earth – if you want to do charity work then you do it, you don’t worry about your street cred.”
[QUOTE=Cloud;12253562]Why did Haye back out of the Vitali fight a few years ago...[/QUOTE] Because he had only 1 fight at heavyweight at the time: Monte Barett. Now that Haye has real HW experience Vitali wants no part of him. If…Comment by Boxing Bob on 06-17-2012
Given the non effort Haye put in vs Wlad, if anyone will acually pay money to see this loudmouth coward fight it says more about you that it does Haye.Comment by Weebler I on 06-17-2012
I wish Haye would stfu about retiring, it's just a cynical ploy to increase his value.Comment by TaurusJ27 on 06-17-2012
[QUOTE=Daïa;12253802]:sleeping: Stay in retirement...[/QUOTE] I agree. Guy doesn't deserve another fight with either Klitschko after that dumb performance last year from him.Comment by loui_ludwig on 06-17-2012
The next move of Haye after retirement is do a domestic abuse, plead guilty, then go to jail. Then he can ask for house arrest because of the lack of food and world class training.Post a Comment/View More User Comments (19)