By Kevin Francis, courtesy of The Daily Star
SHAWN ‘Sioux Warrior’ Hawk is ready to go to war with Nathan Cleverly for his world title.
The native American replaced Ryan Coyne, who pulled out of his fight against WBO world light-heavyweight champion Cleverly last week.
Hawk is a member of the Crow Creek Sioux tribe of South Dakota.
And he admits he will be fighting for tribal honour as well as personal glory in the early hours of Sunday morning.
“It is a great opportunity for someone like me to showcase my talent in a world title bid,” he said.
“I am, of course, very patriotic and going into a fight like this as a member of the Sioux tribe is marvellous for everyone I am connected with. We are all very close to each other in the tribe.
“To get this shot at a world title will be good exposure for us all. I know everyone in the tribe will be following me.
“There are no native American boxers successful at the highest level and I want to make my community proud.”
Despite his late call-up the 30-year-old says he is ready and is out to shock Welshman Cleverly in his fourth title defence.
He said: “I’m 100% good, in great physical shape and I am ready to shock the world. My mentality is good. I’m not scared of anyone.
“I would accept a fight with anybody and this one just happens to be against a world champion.
“I know I’m expected to lose. I’m coming in with nothing to lose and everything to gain.”
Hawk has won 23 of his 26 pro bouts and added: “I hope he trained hard for this fight. I’ve been in shape for the last year-and-a-half. I’m hungry and I want this fight.
“I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t think I could win.”
The fight is live and exclusive on the home of champions, BoxNation, on Sky Ch. 437 and Virgin Ch. 546.
Tags: Nathan Cleverly , Cleverly-Hawk , Cleverly vs Hawk , Shawn Hawk