By Danny Winterbottom
Despite previous insistence that Stuart Hall must next defend his bantamweight title versus mandatory challenger Randy Caballero, the International Boxing Federation (IBF) has since changed its stance and will allow a second voluntary title defense.
The ruling clears the way for Hall to proceed as planned for a showdown with unbeaten countrymanPaul Butler, which takes place June 7 in Newcastle, England.
The IBF board was initially opposed to the fight, stating that Hall must instead defend against unbeaten American Randy Caballero, who stopped Kohei Oba in Tokyo last month.
However, things changed Wednesday evening in he fast moving world of boxing politics.
"At 5.30pm yesterday the IBF were told by Golden Boy promotions, promoter of Randy Cabellero, that they were not opposed to Hall defending against Butler first so the fight will go ahead as planned" said Jeanette Salazar, IBF Public Relations Director.
Hall (16-2, 7KO) makes the second defense of the bantamweight title he claimed in a points win over Vusi Malinga in their vacant title fight last December. His lone defense ended in a two-round technical draw after voluntary challenger Martin Ward suffering a cut from an accidental clash of heads.
Butler (15-0, 8KO) enters his first title fight. His last bout took place in March, scoring a 4th round stoppage of Oreste Bernabe Nieva in Liverpool.