Groves Shocked With Froch Statement Over Rematch
George Groves is still desperate for a rematch against Carl Froch despite turning down "unsatisfactory" terms from the WBA and IBF super-middleweight champion's team.
Froch claimed on Friday that British rival Groves rejected "a seven-figure sum" worth twice as much as his purse for their controversial fight in November.
Groves admits he has turned down an offer to avenge that ninth-round defeat but is adamant he is as eager as ever to get back into the ring with his 36-year-old conqueror.
Underdog Groves, 25, had Froch down in the first round and was ahead on the scorecard when the veteran champion rallied and forced a contentious ninth-round stoppage in Manchester last year.
Both Groves and the British public immediately called for a rematch which Froch seemed to consider only grudgingly. However, the Nottingham man on Friday insisted he has given the Londoner a shot at revenge.
"There has been plenty of speculation over the last few weeks regarding my future," Froch said.
"As it stands we are looking closely at two options - George Groves and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
"Yesterday, we made a seven-figure offer to George Groves for a second fight that would have seen him earn around double that of the first.
"Disappointingly, George rejected this offer so we are continuing our talks with (Chavez's promoters) Top Rank and (American broadcaster) HBO regarding Chavez Jnr.
"I understand the demand for the Groves fight in the UK, but also the demand in the US for the Chavez fight.
"Talks are ongoing and no doubt some further news will break soon. I'm happy to fight anyone, as I have done throughout my entire career."
Hammersmith fighter Groves responded: "I am unsure why Carl Froch has today released a statement implying I do not wish to take the fight, as I was under the impression we are still in negotiations.
"The Matchroom offer in question came with many stipulations and options I felt were unsatisfactory.
"I am currently awaiting an improved offer from his promoter, as well as speaking to other promoters interested in promoting this fight."
Groves, who felt referee Howard Foster stopped the fight too early when Froch had him briefly in trouble, added: "If I didn't want to fight Carl Froch then I wouldn't have invested so much time and money into appealing with the IBF over the dubious outcome of the first fight."
The IBF has since sided with Groves, ordering Froch to face him in a rematch within 90 days.
[QUOTE=LacedUp;14168235]Lol, ok pal. Froch is by far a bigger favourite of mine than Groves :rofl: that's why you are so dumb to listen to. You have this twisted idea that someone could not possibly criticize one of his favourite fighters.…Comment by killerbunny88 on 01-25-2014
[QUOTE=LacedUp;14168198]Who are you dude?[/QUOTE] LOL..why that question... :)Comment by kardsufur on 01-25-2014
[QUOTE=Weebler I;14167157]19,000 tickets sold in half an hour and it was PPV TV fight. If everything goes well the rematch could do 80,000 and approach the 1 million mark on PPV. In terms of spectator interest, a rematch is one…Comment by LacedUp on 01-25-2014
[QUOTE=Dirk Diggler UK;14168225]When you start ascribing things to people then you've already lost. When did I say Groves was sh1t? That's just your vagina twitching whenever someone says anything remotely negative about one of your man crushes. You're a guy…Comment by Dirk Diggler UK on 01-25-2014
[QUOTE=LacedUp;14168200]:pat: when that's all you got..[/QUOTE] When you start ascribing things to people then you've already lost. When did I say Groves was sh1t? That's just your vagina twitching whenever someone says anything remotely negative about one of your man…Post a Comment/View More User Comments (83)