Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Groves Eyes Activity, Anderson, Stieglitz-Abraham Winner

Undefeated British & Commonwealth Super-middleweight champion George ‘The Saint’ Groves is looking for a swift return to action as he waits for an Autumn showdown with mandatory challenger Kenny Anderson.

24 year-old Groves hasn't boxed since a two round demolition of Paul Smith back in November last year. The Saint was set to travel to Germany to fight for a world title in only his 15th professional contest, but injury ruled out him out of the fight and, having returned to full fitness, he's now raring to get back in the ring.

"I can confirm I haven't retired. I am still a boxer", Groves joked.

"At this moment in time, I still have the British title, and I have a mandatory which is Kenny Anderson. Frank Warren won the purse bid to promote that fight, and as such I'm waiting for him to put that fight on."

That fight was originally slated for June 30th but the bout has now been delayed, with purse bids not due until July 11th, after promoter Frank Warren could not find a suitable venue to stage the match. Groves is now keen to fight in the interim, rather than wait for the Anderson show to be put together.

"It feels like I have practically retired I have been out for so long, so I want to get some quality rounds in if I can soon", said Groves.

"I've spoken to my promoter Frank Warren and I understand with the football European Championships and then Olympics it has been difficult for them to get the venues and put shows together.

"Purse bids are not until July now and then it will take eight weeks to put on the Anderson show. But I've spoken to Frank about keeping busy. It's not practical to be out of the ring so long.

"I'm fit and ready so if it means an eight-rounder or even boxing in the States on a Golden Boy show I'm willing to do it. I could fight next week. Frank knows how desperate I am for that Anderson fight and knows I also want to box in the meantime."

And Groves still has his sights on the WBO crown, as he hopes victory over Anderson will set up a shot at the winner of the WBO world title clash between Germans Stieglitz and Arthur Abraham on August 25.

"It was bitterly disappointing [withdrawing from the Stieglitz fight]. I was out training in Cyprus, training very hard, in great shape. Ready to rock, and then injury struck me. It didn't really hit home until I got home, and Adam (Booth) said I'd been pulled out, and I realized Stieglitz was gonna fight someone else, and then I was bumped out of the picture completely. So obviously that was a real shame and a real bitter pill for me to swallow. But since then, I've tried not to let it get me down.

"I should imagine Anderson will be my next big title fight. Stieglitz now fights Arthur Abraham in August and hopefully I can fight the winner at the end of the year."

Tags: George Groves image  
User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Post a Comment - View More User Comments (0)
Top Headlines Froch Laughs at Critics Who Say He "Ducked" Golovkin Fight Photo: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. in Top Form, On Weight For Return Jermall Charlo says Julian Williams match is Jones-Hopkins reprise De La Hoya: After That Win, Saunders' Offer For Canelo Cut in Half! Photos: Terence Crawford Gets in Fight Week Work For Molina Vasyl Lomachenko vs. Orlando Salido Rematch in March? Verdejo to Face Southpaw TBA In 2/3 Return to Prep for Flanagan Joshua: If David Haye Beats Bellew, I'm Fine With Fighting Him! Sergey Lipinets Hopes Win Over Lenny Z Leads To a Title Shot Photos: Britsch Hits Mexico For War With Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Photos: Ray Beltran Hits Omaha For Mason Menard Clash Jacobs' Trainer: We're Ready To Take Gennady Golovkin's Belts Photos: Anthony Joshua, Eric Molina Hold Open Workouts Joe Smith Jr.: I'll Finish Off What Kovalev Started, KO Hopkins Bellew To Haye: Forget Joshua, You Are Getting Knocked Out! Klitschko vs. Joshua: Wladimir Embraces 80,000 at Wembley Lucian Bute vs. Eleider Alvarez Set For February 25, Quebec Holyfield, Barrera, Tapia Officially Announced For IBHOF Class Shakur Stevenson To Be Managed By James Prince, Andre Ward Antonio Vargas Making Pro Moves, Inks Managerial Deal Photos: Erik Skoglund, Timy Shala - Face To Face at Final Presser Abner Mares Addresses His 15-Month Layoff Entering Cuellar Fight Ellerbe Confident: On Jan. 14 We Come Back With Three Titles! Trainer: Lara Wants Bigger Fights, But Must Take Care of Family Wilder: Molina Might Be 'Bipolar,' But Has Heart to Upset Joshua Chisora, Whyte - Both Promise a Vicious Knockout Ending Tommy Ward, Super-Bantamweight, Inks Frank Warren Deal Haye: Right Now, I'd Knock Anthony Joshua Out in Three Rounds! Blackledge: Callum Smith Won't Make it To DeGale-Jack Winner Photos: Bernard Hopkins Clowns Media With 'Old Man' Disguise UFC Prez Makes it Clear That NO Approval For McGregor Boxing! Jeff Horn Could Land Bradley or Vargas, Says Bob Arum Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Returns To His Roots For His Last Career Stand De La Hoya: I Think Hopkins Did Better Than Ward Against Kovalev Photos: Top Rank, Duco Presser To Announce Joseph Parker Deal Freddie Roach: I'm Confident Cuellar Beats Mares - By Knockout Too Joseph Parker Will Be Promoted By Top Rank in America, China Photos: Bernard Hopkins Putting in Work For Final Career Fight Ward-Kovalev: $3.3 Million Live Gate From 10,066 Tickets Sold Abel Sanchez: Andy Ruiz Ready For 50-50 Fight With Joseph Parker
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement