Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Groves Applauds IBF's Ruling: We've Got a Bit of Justice!

By Phil Barnett, Press Association Sport (@barnettoPA)

Carl Froch has been ordered to give domestic rival George Groves a rematch within 90 days or be stripped of his world title by the International Boxing Federation.

Froch claimed on Friday that Groves rejected "a seven-figure sum" for a second chance after their controversial fight in November, which the champion won with a contentious ninth-round stoppage to keep his WBA and IBF belts.

Groves admits he has turned down an offer but is adamant he is as eager as ever to get back into the ring with Froch, and his cause has been helped after the IBF decided the bout was controversial enough to merit an immediate rematch.

Lindsey Tucker, the IBF championships chairman, told Press Association Sport: "We have ordered an immediate rematch between Carl Froch and George Groves.

"After a fight our rules say a boxer has 10 days to file an appeal. Groves did that, and at a hearing on January 15 in Newark we had a three-man panel review all of the evidence and they came back with the decision we must order a rematch.

"The 90 day period starts from Friday, January 24 and I'm pretty sure Carl Froch will have already received notification.

"If he fails to defend the belt against Groves within this period it's more than likely he will lose his title.

"The fighters and their teams have a certain amount of time to come to an agreement and if they can't, it will come down to purse bids."

Tucker added: "If for some reason Froch gave up the title then we would order the two highest-rated guys to fight for the vacant belt.

"Since we already ordered Groves to fight Froch, he would be likely to be one of the guys to fight for that vacant title."

Groves said on Twitter: "Oh Dear! IBF order IMMEDIATE rematch with me and @Carl_Froch ... Maybe I was right after all turning down that 'amazing' 7 figure offer haha.

"Now everyone understands @Carl_Froch press release today.. Wants to move on? Hold on honey IBF says #NoNoNo #RematchOrVacate haha."

Underdog Groves, 25, had Froch down in the first round and was ahead on the scorecard when the veteran champion rallied and forced a contentious ninth-round stoppage in Manchester last year.

Both Groves and the British public immediately called for a rematch which Froch seemed to consider only grudgingly. However, the Nottingham man insisted on Friday he has given the Londoner a shot at revenge.

"There has been plenty of speculation over the last few weeks regarding my future," Froch said.

"As it stands we are looking closely at two options - George Groves and Julio Cesar Chavez Jnr.

"Yesterday, we made a seven figure offer to George Groves for a second fight that would have seen him earn around double that of the first.

"Disappointingly, George rejected this offer so we are continuing our talks with (Chavez's promoters) Top Rank and (American broadcaster) HBO regarding Chavez Jnr.

"I understand the demand for the Groves fight in the UK, but also the demand in the US for the Chavez fight.

"Talks are ongoing and no doubt some further news will break soon. I'm happy to fight anyone, as I have done throughout my entire career."

Hammersmith fighter Groves responded: "I am unsure why Carl Froch has today released a statement implying I do not wish to take the fight, as I was under the impression we are still in negotiations.

"The Matchroom offer in question came with many stipulations and options I felt were unsatisfactory.

"I am currently awaiting an improved offer from his promoter, as well as speaking to other promoters interested in promoting this fight."

Groves, who felt referee Howard Foster stopped the fight too early when Froch had him briefly in trouble, added: "If I didn't want to fight Carl Froch then I wouldn't have invested so much time and money into appealing with the IBF over the dubious outcome of the first fight.

"And I await the outcome of that hearing in the very near future."

Speaking to Sky Sports News on Friday evening, a delighted Groves felt "justice" had been done and is looking forward to the rematch - if Froch agrees to it.

He said: "I'm extremely happy and proud that we've managed to get a bit of justice. We're so pleased that the IBF have agreed with our appeal and that they've decided to reinstate me as mandatory with an immediate rematch.

"The fight's certainly going to happen from my perspective. Whether Carl Froch will take the fight or not remains to be seen. He's dined out for so many years on the fact that he'll fight anyone and he's not scared to take on any challenge.

"I can't see it not happening, the only reason it won't happen is because Carl Froch doesn't want it and is willing to sacrifice his world title for it.

"If he doesn't want this fight then this fight won't take place and then I'm fighting for a world title. The most important thing for me is fighting for the world title. I want to fight Carl Froch but to a certain degree it's out of my hands."

Regarding his views on Froch as a person and whether the two boxers like each other, Groves admitted the Nottingham fighter was "not my cup of tea" but added that sort of thing did not come into his thinking when he approaches his fights.

"I'd say he certainly doesn't like me, that's the perception I've had of him so far," he said.

"I neither like or dislike anyone who I'm about to fight, I'm emotionless going into all fights.

"If he fought in another division, I probably wouldn't like him because I don't like the things he says, I don't like his attitude and I don't really agree with many things he says.

"He's just not my cup of tea as it were. So in that respect maybe I don't like him, but if I'm gonna fight him it doesn't make a blind bit of difference whether I like someone or I don't, I just have to go out there and get the job done."

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by londoner on 01-25-2014

[QUOTE=simms601;14168475] The IBF hasn't done anything other than order the rematch.[/QUOTE] With the IBF, if the challenger is number one contender, the champ gets 75% of the pot. Against a lower rated challenger the designated split is 85%/15%. Sure Groves…

Comment by Light_Speed on 01-25-2014

It's one of those rare cases where the greed of the sanctioning bodies serves the interest of the sport.

Comment by simms601 on 01-25-2014

[QUOTE=londoner;14168144]Groves can't have it both ways. He likes that the IBF uphold his plea for a rematch and order it should take place withing 90 days but doesn't like and won't accept the IBF's designated purse split. Why should Froch…

Comment by londoner on 01-25-2014

Groves can't have it both ways. He likes that the IBF uphold his plea for a rematch and order it should take place withing 90 days but doesn't like and won't accept the IBF's designated purse split. Why should Froch…

Comment by ShoulderRoll on 01-25-2014

Let's be real. That was a horrible ref stoppage and Groves deserves the rematch.

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (47)
Top Headlines Broner: I Weighed 144 This Morning; I Could Weigh In Tomorrow Antonio Margarito vs. Carson Jones on September 2 Luis Ortiz Manager: Wilder Not Afraid To Fight, Joshua is a P*ssy Sadam Ali vs. Johan Perez - Undercard Information Alexander Povetkin Cracks WBO's Top Ten After Recent Win WBA Suspends Shannon Briggs Six Months for Failed PED Test Kameda Gym, Japanese Boxing Commision Reach Settlement Ohara Davies Blasts Fans Who Lost Money on His Loss to Taylor Frank Galarza Inks Promotional Pact With Main Events Rau'shee Warren vs. McJoe Arroyo Set For Broner-Garcia Card Trainer: Gerald Washington Will Be Better Due To Wilder Fight Charles Martin Motivated To Win The Title, Fight Joshua Again Shields: Jermall Charlo Won't Make Mistake of Overlooking Heiland Canelo Shakes Head at Mayweather-McGregor: That's Not Boxing! Frank Warren Breaks Down Billy Joe Saunders vs. Willie Monroe Tim Tszyu Aims To Repeat Dad's Feat, Impress in Toowoomba Crolla: Ricky Burns Bout Could Spell Retirement For The Loser Horn: I Made it Open I'd Want Mayweather, My Goal is To Unify De La Hoya on Mayweather: Fans Want Drama, Not a Runner Miguel Vazquez Back on September 2, Goes For WBC Latino Belt Deontay Wilder-Luis Ortiz: Crossing Fingers (and Toes) Charlo-Lubin, Hurd-Trout Show in Works for September 30th Barrera Had No Idea Smith Bout Was 10-Rounds Until Ref Said It Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor - Ticket Information Dirrell-Benavidez Still Not Finalized, WBC Premature With Date Malignaggi: If McGregor Wins, Boxing Likely Gets To Keep Him Ponomarev Waiting on Date For Ocampo IBF Eliminator Clash Horn: People Keep Making Excuses For Pacquiao, But I Beat Him Anthony Dirrell vs. David Benavidez on 9/9 For WBC Title Stephen A. Smith Backs McGregor: Conor is No Racist, Not at All! Photos: Amanda Serrano vs. Edina Kiss - Final Press Conference Canelo: My Style of Fighting is Superior To Golovkin's Style Yavni Yildirim To Help Canelo Alvarez Prepare For Golovkin Patrick Teixeira on The Comback Trail After 14 Month Layoff Eyubov vs. Fredrickson Added To Adler-Shields ShoBox Card Espinoza: White Has To Adapt in Way Boxing Events Are Done Porter: Pressure is on Danny Garcia if WBC Orders The Fight Boubacar Sylla Aiming To Make Noise on Road To World Title Top Rank To Keep Lomachenko and Others More Active Callum Smith vs. Erik Skoglund WBSS Bout on September 16
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement