Goossen Won't Lay Down, Plans To Fight Shumenov's Suit
By Lem Satterfield
Promoter Dan Goossen spoke to BoxingScene.com concerning Thursday's announcement by WBA light heavyweight king and former Olympian, Beibut Shumenov, that he has severed ties with Goossen, and, in fact, filed a lawsuit requesting that a Nevada court rule that his contract with Goossen Tutor Promotions be terminated as of January.
"There's really not much to share. You just deal with everything," said Goossen. "The bottom line is that we've got a valid and binding contract, and we'll go out there to protect those rights to the fullest extent."
In accordance with Shumenov's statement, the figher alleges that Goossen Tutor Promotions violated its duties under the contract in different ways, charging breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud and deceptive trade practices toward seeking unspecified damages, including punitive damages.
Shumenov's announcement implied that he would move forward through his own promotional company, KZ Event Productions.
"But, you know, I really don't want to get into too much about it. The lawsuit? I haven't even seen the lawsuit yet, so it's hard to even think about without even knowing what they're putting down there. My attorney didn't have a copy of it. I don't have a copy of it," said Goossen.
"Until I can read the lawsuit, it won't change anything from my end. But you know, I'd like to have the benefit of at least seeing it before I would be able to respond," said Goossen. "I'd like to have a chance to view their lawsuit before I say anything. But at this point, it is what it is, and we'll just go out there and do what we have to do to protect our rights."
In his last fight in January, Shumenov (11-1, seven knockouts) scored a fifth-round knockdown on the way to a sixth-round stoppage of 40-year-old three-time former middleweight titlist William Joppy (39-7-2, 30 KOs) of Washington, D.C., in the second defense of his crown before his partisan fans in Shymkent, Kazakhstan.
The 27-year-old Shumenov earned his third straight victory against the 40-year-old Joppy, who had gone the distance in a loss to former undisputed middleweight king Bernard Hopkins (51-5-2, 32 KOs), owns a third-round knockout over former world champion Roberto Duran, and was stopped for only the third time in his career.
Joppy was a last-second replacement for southpaw WBO champ, Juergen Braehmer (36-2, 29 KOs), of Germany, owner of a five-fight winning streak that includes four knockouts.
Braehmer cited an illness for suddenly boarding an airplane five days prior to the fight and leaving Shymkent without having notified either Shumenov or Goossen. Later, Braehmer blamed gastrointestinal problems for pulling out of the fight.
Joppy's only other knockout losses were to southpaw IBF super middleweight king Lucian Bute (27-0, 22 KOs), of Canada, in the 10th-round in February of 2008, and, to WBA middleweight titlist Felix Trinidad in in the fifth round in May of 2001.
Shumenov was coming off of July's unanimous decision over previously unbeaten Vyacheslav Uzelkov (22-1, 14 KOs) during which Shumenov rose from a first-round knockdown, scored a knockdown himself in the third round, and dictated the remainder of the fight's pace despite enduring the 120-degree heat of an outdoor stadium at The Tachi Palace Hotel and Casino in Lemoore, Calif.
Uzelkov was Shumenov's first fight with Goossen, having earned the crown with January's disputed split-decision that dethroned Spanish southpaw Gabriel Campillo (20-3, seven KOs), who had defended his belt against Shumenov five months earlier.
Campillo was 12-0 in September 2007 when he was knocked out in the sixth round by Uzelkov.
Asked if he knew when the relationship may have begun to break down, Goossen responded, "I really can't answer that. Those are questions that would have to be directed to Beibut, because, you know I felt like things were rapidly progressing."
When Shumenov defeated Campillo, he set a division record by earning a crown in only his 10th professional fight.
Australia's Jeff Harding had the previous record in June 1989, when he rose to 15-0 with his 12th knockout -- a 12th-round stoppage over Dennis Andries that earned him the WBC crown.
Prior to that, Michael Spinks held the mark, rising to 17-0 when he dethroned Eddie Mustafa Muhammad for the WBA title with a 15-round unanimous decision in July 1988.
Shumenov became the fourth boxer from Kazakhstan to win a professional world title, joining WBC super featherweight (130 pounds) king Anatoly Alexandrov (1990), WBC heavyweight king Oleg Maskaev (2006), and IBF cruiserweight (200 pounds) king Vassily Jirov (2001).
Goossen appeared to have Shumenov on the fast track for potential title bouts, if not big fights against those such as Braehmer and IBF king, Tavoris Cloud (22-0, 18 KOs).
There is a May 21 light heavyweight rematch between WBC king Jean Pascal (26-1-1, 16 KOs) and Bernard Hopkins (51-5-2, 32 knockouts), this, following their disuputed, majority decision draw in December.
Pascal-Hopkins is part of a double-header at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, whose co-feature matches title contender Adrian Diaconu (27-2, 15 KOs) against ex-WBC champ, Chad Dawson (29-1, 17 KOs).
Dawson was a loser of an 11th-round, technical unanimous decision to Pascal, who earned his fifth straight win before facing Hopkins for the draw.
Dianconu lost twice, consecutively, to Pascal by unanimous decision to Pascal, respectively, in June and December of 2009.
I'm not a fan of Shumenov, hope Campillo fights him again and gets the KO.Comment by Lorily on 03-19-2011
It's down right disgraceful for Shumenov or anyone to think that Beibut Shumenov legitimately "[I]earned[/I] the crown" the way he got it against Campillo in that fight. And from what I had read, the main reason Shumenov even got that…Comment by Al C on 03-19-2011
Surprised to hear Dawson's actually fighting, and against a relative unknown. He usually only fights when he has to.Post a Comment/View More User Comments (3)