Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Goossen Discusses The Klitschko vs Thompson Rematch

By Keith Idec

Wladimir Klitschko will probably pummel a 39-year-old opponent in his next fight.

It is difficult to expect much more from his March 3 mismatch against Jean-Marc Mormeck, a former cruiserweight champion who was stopped by the very same man Klitschko dominated in his last fight, David Haye, in a championship unification fight before both boxers became heavyweights. Assuming Mormeck succumbs to a bigger, stronger, better fighter, the IBF will try to make Klitschko face a 40-year-old opponent he has already knocked out in his following fight.

Promoter Dan Goossen said the IBF has assured him that Tony Thompson will get another shot at the East Orange, N.J.-based sanctioning organization’s heavyweight title in Thompson’s next fight. Thompson (36-2, 24 KOs) has been declared the IBF’s mandatory heavyweight championship challenger because his Oct. 28 elimination match against friend Eddie Chambers (36-2, 18 KOs), another contender Goossen promotes, was canceled due to Chambers’ back injury.

Representatives for Thompson protested when Klitschko rescheduled an optional defense against Mormeck earlier this month after undergoing two surgeries to remove kidney stones.

Klitschko (56-3, 49 KOs) was supposed to meet Mormeck (36-4, 22 KOs) on Dec. 10 in Dusseldorf, Germany, but the bout was postponed 12 weeks.

“Just recently we tried to oppose an optional defense with Mormeck because, of course, it was cancelled and pushed back to March 3,” Goossen said. “The IBF allowed him to take the optional, with the caveat that the winner has to fight Tony next. It has to happen by July 15.”

Klitschko knocked out Thompson in the 11th round of their July 2008 fight in Hamburg, Germany. It was just the second defeat of Thompson’s professional career, and the Washington, D.C., resident’s first since losing a four-round unanimous decision to then-prospect Eric Kirkland in just Thompson’s fifth pro fight in July 2000.

The 6-foot-5, 250-pound southpaw has stopped each of the five foes he has encountered since Klitschko beat him. Most recently, Thompson stopped Maurice Harris (25-15-2, 11 KOs, 1 NC) in the third round of an IBF elimination match that led Thompson to the Chambers bout.

When asked if Thompson could do better against Klitschko in a rematch, Goossen said, “I believe he can, because if you remember that fight he was competitive for quite a few rounds.”

Thompson was losing by wide margins on all three scorecards before Klitschko knocked him out (98-92, 98-92, 99-91), but Goossen feels as though that learning experience would serve Thompson well if they fight again. Klitschko could, of course, give up the IBF title if he beats Mormeck and decides against accepting a tough-to-sell rematch with Thompson.

“Tony started boxing at 27,” Goossen said. “He’s a young man in an older body, but he doesn’t have a lot of wear and tear. I truly believe that, mentally, it’s going to be the big thing because he’s been there, done that now. He understands what it takes. He understands what he’s got to do. And he’s a big, strong lefty. And you’ve seen him out here with Chazz Witherspoon, and he’s got a lot of pop on that punch. I believe he can beat [Klitschko], and with the [crowd] success they just had in Washington [for the Lamont Peterson-Amir Khan fight], where Tony’s from, that’s where I’d like to go.”

Keith Idec covers boxing for The Record and Herald News, of Woodland Park, N.J., and BoxingScene.com.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by TaurusJ27 on 12-29-2011

Thompson will probably be k.o'd by the third round this time.

Comment by ShoulderRoll on 12-29-2011

A 39-year-old cruiserweight and a 40-year-old man are next for Klit? The heavyweight division is in a horrible state.

Comment by JKidd2624 on 12-29-2011

At this point, I'd rather see Wlad or Vitali fight up and coming HWs with 10-16 fights instead of these beat up, has been, recycled, 2nd go around HWs that they've already smashed to pieces. At least we'd be seeing…

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (3)
Top Headlines Pacquiao Fed Up With Politics, Roach Hopes He Stops Boxing Vijender Singh Expects To Face Rocky Fielding in March Shabranskyy Prepared To Do Everything Possible To Beat Kovalev Chocolatito To Return in April or May, Possibly on Canelo-GGG II Rey Vargas Expects Fireworks With Oscar Negrete at MSG Devon Alexander: I'm Ready To Fight Anybody Out There Jermall Charlo vs. Hugo Centeno in Play For WBC Interim-Belt Team Parker Dare 'Glass Chin' Joshua To Accept 65-35 or Else Devon Alexander Out-Classes Castillo in First Fight in Two Years Gennady Golovkin is Honored By The Mayor of Mexico City Miguel Cruz Cut, Conquers David Grayton, Wins Decision Arum: Terence Crawford Will Face Horn-Corcoran Winner Next Bellew's Coach Rejects Tyson Fury For 12/17: No Way! Jerwin Ancajas Headed For Big 2018, 'SuperFly' in His Future? Dillian Whyte Erupts: Tony Bellew is a Coward, Disgusting Attitude! Parker Promoter: Joshua is A Lot of Hype, Softer Than Wilder Antoine Douglas vs. Spike O'Sullivan on Saunders-Lemieux Card Euro News: Robert Helenius Update, Soro, Madsen, Jur, More Sullivan Barrera: Valera Just Tried to Survive in Loss to Bivol Floyd Mayweather Inks Deal To Be Character in New Poker Game Errol Spence: My Goal is To Unify Welterweight Division in 2018 Groves-Eubank WBSS Semifinal Set for February 17 in Manchester Devon Alexander: My Opioid Addiction Kept Me Out of The Ring Cotto Recalls KO Win Over Ricardo Torres Put Him "On the Map" Duva: Kovalev Still Man to Beat in Light Heavyweight Division Tony Bellew Has Options in Fallout of David Haye Rematch Zolani Tete Explains Record Breaking Knockout, The Aftermath Frank Warren on Frampton's Win, Tete's Big KO, Conlan's Loss Saunders: Khan on Celeb Show For 100K, Fight Brook For Millions! Golovkin's Promoter: We're Ready, Canelo Just Has To Say "Yes' Bellew's Coach: We Are Devastated That David Haye Withdrew Arum: HBO's Nelson is an Amateur, SHO's Espinoza is Competent! Kovalev's Return a Reminder of Prolonged Stevenson Frustration Jacobs: First Fight Was 50-50 - 100% I Win The Golovkin Rematch! Zolani Tete Dares Ryan Burnett To Get in The Ring, Unify Belts Cyborg Still Plans To Pursue Boxing Run Despite New UFC Deal Photos: Miguel Cotto Grinding Hard For Sadam Ali Showdown Photos: Devon Alexander, Walter Castillo - Ready For Battle Photos: Mayweather Foundation Annual Thanksgiving Giveaway Photos: Gennady Golovkin Visits Children's Hospital in Mexico
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement