By Steve Kim
In 2016 unified middleweight champion, Gennady Golovkin fought just twice and failed to get the marquee fight he yearned for. But he says that in facing Danny Jacobs (32-1, 29 KOs) on March 18th at Madison Square Garden in New York City - it has renewed his vigor for the sport.
"Seriously, I lost interest last year," Golovkin revealed to a group of reporters on Wednesday afternoon at the Congo Room at L.A. Live, where a press conference was held for the Golovkin-Jacobs fight which will be produced and distributed by HBO Pay-Per-View.
"Too much talking, just too much talking last year. It's not interesting."
And he wasn't hesitant to call out the offending parties.
"Like who? 'Canelo' (Saul Alvarez), (Julio Cesar) Chavez (Jr.), (Carl) Froch,(Billy Joe) Saunders, (Chris) Eubank (Jr), it's crazy,'' he said with a chuckle.
Instead of facing any of these men, Golovkin had to settle for stoppage victories over his IBF mandatory Dominick Wade and IBF welterweight belt-holder Kell Brook.
In Jacobs, he's in a fight that is highly anticipated and believed to be a real challenge. He promises he's not looking beyond him as a potential September showdown with Alvarez looms.
"Right now, I see Daniel and he really wants this fight. So I said,'OK, OK, this is my motivation.' It's not 'Canelo', 'Canelo' maybe future. I'm not interested, right now," said Golovkin, who has a record of 36-0(33 KO's), and will continue his quest to obtain all the belts in the middleweight division.
Right now, the only belt missing from his collection is the WBO strap which is held by Saunders.
"I'm a sportsman, I'm a boxer, for me it's very, very important who's number one. Right now, I feel good, I'm not young guy, I'm 34, this year 35. For me, just give me chance."
Steve Kim is the news editor for BoxingScene.com.