By Inna “Basya” Lagun (Allboxing.ru) and Alexey Sukachev
Vyacheslav Glazkov (12-0, 9 KOs), a 6’3’’ heavyweight from Ukraine, has something to prove. He is 27-years-old and fighting in paid ranks for well over three years. A win over slow and slowly aging Russian Denis Bakhtov (33-5) is the only victory of note for him. For someone that’s not a bad achievement but for Beijing Olympics super heavyweight bronze medalist and an amateur standout this isn’t enough. His second true test will come this Saturday, when Glazkov fights a well-known German gatekeeper Konstantin Airich (23-6-2, 17 KOs) in a fight for a vacant WBC Baltic Silver heavyweight crown. Glazkov spoke about this fight in his interview with Allboxing.ru.
- What can you say about Airich?
- That is an experienced opponent, a dangerous fighter with a great speed and good skills. I have seen Kostya’s tapes with my trainer Eduard Menchakov and we have analyzed all of his strengths and weaknesses.
- Tell us more about your training camp.
- We started a camp for the fight a while ago. We started with conditioning and stamina tests, then added some power training. My camp also had three weeks of sparring sessions with specifically chosen partners. We have invited three fighters to the camp, who are more or less similar with Airich in terms of the stature and fight style.
- What will you do to win the fight?
- I’ll fight in my usual manner and I’ll try to produce a knockout. However, boxing is an unpredictable sport, and everything can happen in the ring. Given this, I’ll adjust to various circumstances inside the ropes. The fight itself will show what I can do.
- Olimpiykiy Sports Arena is a very huge venue. Thousands of fans are going to witness the show. Are you ready to fight under this pressure in front of a very big crowd?
- Yep. I have already fought in front of a huge crowd both as an amateur and as a pro. I have fought on Dmitry Pirog’s undercards. Actually, I feel no additional pressure. Moreover, the fans support will charge me for a better performance. I’m ready to shine on the Saturday night.
Tags: Konstantin Airich , Vyacheslav Glazkov