Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Gesta vs Meza; Mayfield vs De La Torre Event Updates

Filipino lightweight sensation Mercito "No Mercy" Gesta (17-0-1, 7KO) has ramped up his training for his upcoming WBO Youth lightweight title clash against Oscar "El Estudiante" Meza (19-3, 17KO) of Culiacan, MX, on June 4th in Miami, FL.  The twelve round affair will be televised live by Telemundo and is presented by Tuto Zabala Jr.'s All Star Boxing, The Next Generation Inc.
 
Gesta of San Diego, CA, by way of Cebu, PI, who has worked in the past with the likes of Jorge Linares, Antonio DeMarco, Marvin Quintero among others, has been adding up the miles on his car as he hast traveled all over southern California in search of sparring.  Along with up and coming Jr. welterweight prospect Antonio Orozco (6-0, 5KO) in San Diego, Gesta has also sparred a number of partners at the Wild Card Gym in Hollywood.
 
"I have seen a lot of different styles so I think that is going to help," Gesta stated regarding his different gym partners.  "I feel good about my training for this fight.  Fights are won in the gym and I have been training for a while."
 
Gesta, who was originally slated to headline a fight card in San Diego last month accepted the bout against Meza after the San Diego date fell out.
 
"I did take some time off so I feel good and not over trained," the always smiling Gesta added.
 
"Mercito is peaking at just the right time.  He was at the Wild Card Gym in early April so this has been an extended camp because of the April 25th fall out," his co-manager Vince Parra said.  "People will be pleased with what they see on June 4th, that will be the best Mercito Gesta."
 
Jorge Marron, chief matchmaker for Gesta's promoter, Don Chargin, feels that Gesta has what it takes to win.
 
"On paper the fight looks 50-50 but Mercito should win," Marron said.  "The fight is not going to be that easy but his quickness and his southpaw stance will be his biggest tools."

San Francisco - Professional boxing returns to the city of San Francisco when Hard Knox Promotions and Mo'Betta Entertainment bring you "Civil War", where boxers from the Bay Area challenge fighters from Southern California.  The battle will take place at the historical Kezar Pavilion on June 12, 2010.
 
Headlining the eight round main event will be San Francisco's undefeated welterweight sensation, Karim "Hard Hitta" Mayfield (12-0-1, 7 KO's) as he clashes with Sergio De La Torre from Escondido, CA.
 
Mayfield, a three-time San Francisco Golden Gloves champion, is excited to be fighting in his hometown as he stated, "This is a dream come true for me to be fighting in San Francisco where I grew up.  The City is known for having great fans.  This will be the first professional boxing show at Kezar in a long time so I'm looking forward to putting on a great show for everone in attendence
 
In the co-main event, Oakland's Tony Hirsch (11-3-1, 5 KO's) squares off against Giovanni Rubio in an eight round Jr. Middleweight bout.  Others slated to fight on the card are San Francisco natives, Richard Hargraves (light middleweight) and Cynthia Talmadge (bantamweight), both scheduled to fight in four round bouts.
 
Before the bright lights of Las Vegas, now known as the Mecca of boxing, San Francisco was the uncrowned boxing capitol of the world.  Kezar Stadium was host to many great fights when Hall of Famer's Rocky Marciano's and Carl "Bobo" Olson both fought at this historic location.  Marciano defended his World Heavyweight title fight against Don Cockell in 1955.  Olson had two epic battles against Wayne Thornton in 1964.  Kezar Pavilion will once again be host to another great night of boxing.
 
Kezar Pavilion is located at 670 Kezar Dr. San Francisco CA, 94118.  "Civil War" featuring Mayfield vs. De La Torre is presented by Hard Knox Promotions and Mo'Betta Entertainment.  Doors open at 6:00pm, the first bell rings at 7:00pm.  Tickets, priced at $15, $25, $50 and $75, are on sale now by calling (415) 725-2479 or (415) 948-7891.  Tickets may also be purchased at the door or online at www.vbotickets.com.  More undercard bouts to be announced at a later date. Bouts subject to change.

Tags:
User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Post a Comment - View More User Comments (0)
Top Headlines Golovkin's Coach on The Canelo vs. Chavez Jr. Catch-Weight Randy Caballero To Return on March 23 on ESPN Card "Fighting Words" - Angel Garcia to Blame, Though We Enabled Him Abel Sanchez: Maybe It Could Be Golovkin-Chavez, Canelo-Jacobs Puerto Rico Commission To Investigate Vazquez Jr. Pay Claims Shawn Porter Tabs Santa Cruz To Beat Frampton in Rematch Chocolatito: All Rungvisai Has is a Punch, It Won't Be That Difficult Klitschko Coach Says Everyone Will Be Shocked After Joshua Fight Nacho: Juan Manuel Marquez Has Not Retired, Wants To Fight Memo: Chavez Jr. Will Be Stronger, No Weight Issues For Canelo Thurman-Garcia: Narvaez vs. Rodriguez Clash is Eyed For Card Rob Brant Stops Alexis Hloros in First at Grand Casino in Hinckley Canelo vs. Chavez is a Fight Boxing Needed, Says De La Hoya David Haye: Chris Eubank Jr. is a Force, He Will Go All The Way Canelo vs. Chavez: Positive Talks Ongoing With MGM, Jerry Jones Conlan Hopes For 'Dream Fight' With Carl Frampton in The Future Top Rank Prez Eyes Deontay Wilder vs. Joseph Parker Unification Jacobs: Most Guys are Beaten Mentally When They Face Golovkin Frampton Expects Rematch With Leo Santa Cruz To Be Easier Tomoki Kameda Returns To Japan on March 10, Faces Tawatchai Carl Greaves Looks Back On 2016, Is Excited About 2017 Jermell Charlo, Gary Russell Mandatory Double Eyed For March 11 De La Hoya: Canelo Beating Chavez Jr. Will Not Satisfy The Critics Cedric Vitu Retains EBU Title, Decisions Isaac Real in Levallois Horn Warns Pacquiao, Top Rank Not To Look Beyond April Fight Angel Garcia, Mayweather Tarnished What Should've Been Good Week for Boxing WBA Champ Ortiz Wins Decision Over Ramos in Mexico City Robert Garcia: Canelo Has A lot More To Lose in Chavez Jr. Bout Hairon Socarras Training Hard in Miami For February 3 Return Zab Judah Returns, Blasts Out Munguia in Two Rounds Jose Pedraza Confident That He Will Return Strong at Lightweight Javier Fortuna Ready - Targets Sosa, Corrales, Lomachenko Alvarez vs. Chavez Rematch is Being Planned For March 11 Miguel Cotto: Juan Manuel Marquez Fight is Very Viable Bradley Pryce Announces Retirement After Defeat Robbie Davies Jr. Crushes Zoltan Szabo, Retains WBA Regional Patrick Nielsen, Dina Thorslund Win Decisions, Khattab Shocked Bellew: 'Ego Maniac' David Haye Better Hope He Ends Me in Four Beterbiev: Barrera Proved To Be a Real Fighter, He Agreed To Fight Luis Cruz Admits He Was Close To Retirement Before Easter Shot
Advertisement
Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement