Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Fury-Wilder Talks Have Started, Confirms Hennessy

Tyson Fury's promoter Mick Hennessy has confirmed talks have started for a prospective heavyweight clash with unbeaten American Deontay Wilder following David Haye's withdrawal this week. 

But Hennessy said Wilder is just one of a number of options currently being explored and stressed that Fury needs to be given time to get over the disappointment of a second big fight cancellation.

Fury took to Twitter on Wednesday to vent his spleen at the sport, even declaring: "Hi every1 I have officially retired from boxing" - a scenario immediately discounted by his team.

But he is clearly enraged by Haye's announcement that he faces retirement following shoulder surgery this week - just two months after their first fight was postponed when Haye sustained a cut.

Hennessy told the Press Association: "Tyson needs time to get used to the situation because all these things - broken toes, cut eyes, shoulder injuries - are like a foreign language to him.

"Tyson doesn't understand what he's being confronted with. He wanted to fight David Haye from the moment he turned professional and he did everything in his power to get him in the ring.

"The biggest shock to Tyson was that Haye ever took the fight in the first place. He's disgusted and sorry for the fans who have been let down twice, because Tyson is not one who would ever pull out of a fight."

Hennessy said he still hoped Fury would be fit to return in February, with future developments concerning the Klitschko brothers likely to determine his next opponent, although Wilder remains in pole position.

Wilder has won all 30 of his professional fights inside the distance including consecutive first round wins over Audley Harrison and former WBO champion Sergei Liakhovich earlier this year.

Hennessy added: "We have had talks with Wilder's people and we are in discussions at the moment but obviously there are a lot of pieces of the jigsaw we need to fit together.

"We are looking at a number of different options but one thing we do know is that Tyson is one of the biggest draws in world boxing at the moment and as soon as he is ready we will look to get him back in the ring."

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by ShoulderRoll on 11-21-2013

[QUOTE=No.;13949398]Looks like Fury's getting cold feet. [COLOR="Navy"][SIZE="3"] Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer said he received a telephone call from Mick Hennessy, the promoter of British heavyweight contender Tyson Fury, regarding a potential between the 6-foot-9 Englishman and 6-foot-7 knockout specialist…

Comment by ROSS CALIFORNIA on 11-21-2013

They won't fight Wilder unless its a huge ppv fight and that's not happening any time soon.

Comment by saintpat on 11-21-2013

[QUOTE=hougigo;13950323]wtf.... 50-50? Lol[/QUOTE] 50-50 purse split. What's wrong with that? If Fury's side isn't serious enough to make an offer ... or makes a lowball offer where Tyson gets the lion's share of the money -- then they don't want…

Comment by soul_survivor on 11-21-2013

Fury's retired, think he's depressed, will take him a LONG time to come outta this slump. Plus Hennessy is a fat pig, I've seen him around so many times and always really wanted to batter him half to...well I'll relax.

Comment by Hougigo on 11-21-2013

[QUOTE=saintpat;13950185]Hennessey needs to pay their phone bills so they can call GBP back. Golden Boy said 50/50 and it's a fight. Tyson said, "I'm retired." SMFH[/QUOTE] wtf.... 50-50? Lol

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (60)
Top Headlines Pacquiao Fed Up With Politics, Roach Hopes He Stops Boxing Vijender Singh Expects To Face Rocky Fielding in March Shabranskyy Prepared To Do Everything Possible To Beat Kovalev Chocolatito To Return in April or May, Possibly on Canelo-GGG II Rey Vargas Expects Fireworks With Oscar Negrete at MSG Devon Alexander: I'm Ready To Fight Anybody Out There Jermall Charlo vs. Hugo Centeno in Play For WBC Interim-Belt Team Parker Dare 'Glass Chin' Joshua To Accept 65-35 or Else Devon Alexander Out-Classes Castillo in First Fight in Two Years Gennady Golovkin is Honored By The Mayor of Mexico City Miguel Cruz Cut, Conquers David Grayton, Wins Decision Arum: Terence Crawford Will Face Horn-Corcoran Winner Next Bellew's Coach Rejects Tyson Fury For 12/17: No Way! Jerwin Ancajas Headed For Big 2018, 'SuperFly' in His Future? Dillian Whyte Erupts: Tony Bellew is a Coward, Disgusting Attitude! Parker Promoter: Joshua is A Lot of Hype, Softer Than Wilder Antoine Douglas vs. Spike O'Sullivan on Saunders-Lemieux Card Euro News: Robert Helenius Update, Soro, Madsen, Jur, More Sullivan Barrera: Valera Just Tried to Survive in Loss to Bivol Floyd Mayweather Inks Deal To Be Character in New Poker Game Errol Spence: My Goal is To Unify Welterweight Division in 2018 Groves-Eubank WBSS Semifinal Set for February 17 in Manchester Devon Alexander: My Opioid Addiction Kept Me Out of The Ring Cotto Recalls KO Win Over Ricardo Torres Put Him "On the Map" Duva: Kovalev Still Man to Beat in Light Heavyweight Division Tony Bellew Has Options in Fallout of David Haye Rematch Zolani Tete Explains Record Breaking Knockout, The Aftermath Frank Warren on Frampton's Win, Tete's Big KO, Conlan's Loss Saunders: Khan on Celeb Show For 100K, Fight Brook For Millions! Golovkin's Promoter: We're Ready, Canelo Just Has To Say "Yes' Bellew's Coach: We Are Devastated That David Haye Withdrew Arum: HBO's Nelson is an Amateur, SHO's Espinoza is Competent! Kovalev's Return a Reminder of Prolonged Stevenson Frustration Jacobs: First Fight Was 50-50 - 100% I Win The Golovkin Rematch! Zolani Tete Dares Ryan Burnett To Get in The Ring, Unify Belts Cyborg Still Plans To Pursue Boxing Run Despite New UFC Deal Photos: Miguel Cotto Grinding Hard For Sadam Ali Showdown Photos: Devon Alexander, Walter Castillo - Ready For Battle Photos: Mayweather Foundation Annual Thanksgiving Giveaway Photos: Gennady Golovkin Visits Children's Hospital in Mexico
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement