Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Froch Issues Retirement Threat if Kessler Wins Again

By Kevin Francis, courtesy of The Daily Star

CARL FROCH will quit the ring if he fails in his bid to become a two-belt world super-middleweight champion.

IBF title holder Froch tackles WBA king Mikkel Kessler in a ­unification bout at London’s O2 Arena on May 25, determined to avenge his first-ever defeat.

Kessler beat the Nottingham fighter on a close points decision in Denmark in April 2010 and Froch is determined to reverse that result.

But if he fails, the 35-year-old Froch says he will call time on a ­career that has seen him lose just two of his 30 professional fights.

He said: “I think it’s the end for the loser, to be totally honest. ­Depending on how the fight goes, I don’t think Mikkel Kessler would come back after a loss.

“And I am pretty sure that I wouldn’t, either. For me, I need to win this fight. This fight means ­everything to me.”

The prospect of another defeat is now driving ‘The Cobra’ on and he is planning for the ­victory that he believes will prolong his ring career.

He said: “I want to make sure that, when I get in there, I leave it all in the ring. I know that will be enough to beat this guy on the night.

“So, as far as I am concerned, I have a good 18 months to two years left at the top and I aim to look ­forward to it.”

Froch isn’t the only one looking forward to it – so are fight fans. All 17,000 tickets were sold out within three hours yesterday.

And Froch wants to put on a display that will finally KO the sleepless nights he has suffered since his nightmare defeat against Kessler.

He said: “It’s a bitter defeat to swallow. When my head hits the pillow every night I still think of that.

“My world was in tatters. I won my title back, but I have still not had a chance to avenge Kessler.

“It is hurtful and painful, when I think about that loss.”

Froch, whose only other defeat came at the hands of world No.1 Andre Ward in ­December 2011, ­admits that Kessler deserved to win.

And Kessler, 33, is promising to dish out the same kind of treatment when they climb into the ring again. He said: “Carl’s the fight I wanted. I can’t see a Ward fight. I lost a fight with him, but he is a ­different type of fighter.

“The best fight out there, that my fans and boxing fans want, is me and Carl. I know he wants to fight and I want to fight.”

Kell Brook’s fight with IBF world welterweight champion Devon Alexander has been postponed for a second time.

The American has suffered a ­bicep injury in his training camp to scupper the February 23 fight in ­Detroit, Michigan.

The bout had already been ­delayed after Sheffield fighter Brook ­injured his ankle in December.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by TerrisJ3 on 02-06-2013

[QUOTE=TerrisJ3;12993036]I don't see this fight going the distance. Loser will humbly retire from the sport.[/QUOTE] damn im gud :popcorn:

Comment by LA_2_Vegas on 02-06-2013

Froch is a cagey MF'er. I see this as just a way to put it out there to the sanctioning bodies, promoters, judges, etc.... that the Carl Froch industry and the money that comes along with it ain't coming to…

Comment by SoulByThePound on 02-06-2013

sympathy from the judges maybe [SIZE="1"][I]Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android[/I][/SIZE]

Comment by PunchyPotorff on 02-06-2013

Froch is a great warrior, but he does need to stop with the drama before every fight. Just get in there and work your butt off and hope for the best outcome. What more can a fighter do anyway? This…

Comment by Weebler I on 02-05-2013

Hardly a "threat", who's he threatening? He's just saying he's going to retire if he loses. I rather suspect that is to motivate himself as much as anything as that was the impetus that spurred him to the Bute victory,…

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (12)
Top Headlines Video: Joseph Parker, Kevin Barry Discuss Hughie Fury Defense Gervonta Davis Has No Issue Heading To UK For Walsh Defense Kovalev's Promoter: Ward's Side Continue To Ignore Rematch Talks Dusty Harrison Arrested, Being Held on Gun Charge Brian Viloria vs. Ruben Montoya Set For March 2 in Japan Photos: Maurice Hooker vs. Cristobal Cruz - Official Weigh-In Horn's Promoter: Pacquiao Felt Pressure, Chasing Fantasy Offer Photos: Pearson-DeLoach, Tabiti, Rodriguez - Official Weigh-In Photos: Canelo, Chavez Jr. Swarmed By Fans at Houston Presser Photos: Hurd-Harrison, Breazeale-Ugonoh - Go Face To Face Maurice Hooker vs. Cristobal Cruz Set For Friday in Tijuana Photos: Deontay Wilder, Gerald Washington - Go Face To Face De La Hoya is Firm: Chavez Jr. Can Derail Canelo vs. Golovkin Russian Boxing Scene Update: Upcoming Events Joshua Pleads With Wilder To Start Fighting Better Opponents Chavez Jr. Aims To Reclaim Lost Fans By Knocking Off Canelo Photo: Lucian Bute, Eleider Alvarez on Weight, Ready For Battle Washington: I Have A lot That Deontay Wilder Hasn't Seen Before Usyk-Hunter, Gvozdyk-Gonzalez Added To Lomachenko-Sosa British Boxing News: Flanagan-Petrov, Skeete-Singleton, Jay Harris Holyfield Joins PBC Broadcast Team For Wilder-Washington WBC Outlines, Explains The 'Clean Boxing' Drug Testing Program Hughie Fury On Verge of Losing Parker Shot, Must Sign Contract Dmitry Bivol Pounds, Stops Robert Berridge in Four Rounds Tony Bellew: I Want To Be Out Of Boxing Within 12 Months Izu Ugonoh on Signing His Deal With Al Haymon Wilder Aims To Send Message With Statement KO of Washington Jacobs' Adviser: Golovkin Will Pay on 3/18 for Canelo Negotiations Chavez Jr: Canelo Alvarez is Afraid of Gennady Golovkin! Frank Warren: I Strongly Fancy Walsh To Beat Gervonta Davis Braekhus Feels Refreshed With New Team, Plans For Showcase Joe Ham To Fight For Belt On Burns vs. Indongo Card De La Hoya: Canelo Would Beat Mayweather 'Easy' in Rematch! Luke Campbell Hopes To Get a Crack at Mikey Garcia's Title Chavez: I've Fought Better Opponents Than Canelo, I Can't Lose! Angel Garcia and The New York State Athletic Commission Horn's Promoter Will Wait To See How Pacquiao-Khan Plays Out Sullivan Barrera Denies Receiving Contract For Beterbiev Fight Arum Skeptical of $38M Offer to Bring Pacquiao-Khan to the UAE Roy Jones Jr. Wants Anderson Silva on Mayweather-McGregor
Advertisement
Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement