Freddie Roach on Training Miguel Cotto in Return
By Luis Sandoval
Miguel Cotto announced last week via Twitter that he would be returning October 5th to both HBO airwaves and with Top Rank for his next fight. He also revealed he would have renowned trainer Freddie Roach in his corner which meant former trainer Pedro Diaz who trained him for his last two fights was out the door.
BoxingScene caught up with Freddie Roach at the Wild Card Gym in Hollywood, CA to get his thoughts regarding working with Cotto. Roach is familiar with Cotto to a degree as they were on opposite corners when Manny Pacquaio defeated Cotto in 2009 by a 12th round stoppage. While it’s almost a certainty Roach will be working with Cotto, he said things are not completely finalized yet.
“We're discussing it still. It's not 100% but its close. The thing is I love working with great fighters and good fighters so if it does happen I'll be excited” said Roach.
Cotto is considered the 3rd biggest draw in the sport today and only taking a backseat to Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao. While he’s a popular prize fighter, many wonder how much exactly Cotto has left at this stage in his career as he’s lost 2 of his last 3 fights. Roach wasn’t able to answer that question either but he knows he’ll eventually find out.
“Well this is the first time working with him so I'll see what he's got. If he doesn't perform like I want him to, I'll tell him it’s over. But the thing is he told me 'I have 3 fights Freddie, I want you to help me'. So I said no problem and thing is I expect a lot of out of you. I expect you to work hard and I'm sure you expect the same out of me” said Roach.
According to Roach, nothing has been finalized in regards to if Cotto will come to him or if he’ll go to Cotto once training camp commences. With Manny Pacquiao fighting in Macao, China in late November, Roach has already confirmed the full training camp will take place in the Philippines. With Cotto’s fight being in early October, Roach could technically train Cotto and leave to the Phillippines immediately after his fight. We’ll have to wait and see how things pan out.
You can follow Luis Sandoval on Twitter @Truewest007. You can also tune in to BoxingScene Radio, Boxingscene’s official audio show every Tuesday from 6-8PM PST with hosts Ernest Gabion, Luis Sandoval, and Ryan Burton.
[QUOTE=flint;13560018]dumb move by cotto. not only did he srew up the future alvared fight by going to HBO. he leaves Diaz for roach. what does everybody see in fraudy roach? he can't train worth crap.[/QUOTE] Alvarez is free to fight…Comment by puga on 07-16-2013
cotto should've hired him on his floyd fight.. we've seen what he did to hoya vs floyd ..hoya was just old ....Comment by KING MEAT on 07-16-2013
roach needs to bring that lethal left to the body [SIZE="1"][I]Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android[/I][/SIZE]Comment by Capricorn1985 on 07-16-2013
[QUOTE=micky1971;13561740]hmm, at this stage in his career miguel should be more defensive, self preservation and all that. he has the experience and proven toughness but, can be a little chinny when hit with a decent shot. im not too sure…Comment by micky1971 on 07-16-2013
hmm, at this stage in his career miguel should be more defensive, self preservation and all that. he has the experience and proven toughness but, can be a little chinny when hit with a decent shot. im not too sure…Post a Comment - View More User Comments (36)