Fred Evans Forced Out of The Commonwealth Games

Olympic silver medallist Fred Evans has been forced out of the Commonwealth Games after having his accreditation refused.

The Welsh welterweight did not travel with his team-mates to Glasgow on Tuesday after being informed he had been denied the chance to compete based on checks completed by the Home Office and Commonwealth Games officials.

In a statement to the Press Association, Wales chef de mission Brian Davies said: "Team Wales can confirm that boxer Fred Evans has had his accreditation refused by Glasgow 2014 based on checks completed by the Home Office and the Commonwealth Games accreditation decision board.

"Sadly, he is therefore unable to compete at the Commonwealth Games.

"We have engaged in rigorous and thorough communications with all relevant bodies over the last few weeks, including putting forward two mitigation plans, unfortunately all of which have been unsuccessful.

"The key Welsh and British sporting agencies have been supportive in our attempts to get Fred to the Games and we are bitterly disappointed at the outcome.

"Fred is a world class boxer and has handled this difficult situation in a very disciplined manner, continuing to work hard in the hope of a satisfactory resolution.

"We thank him for his professionalism and wish him all the best for his future ambitions."

In April Evans admitted his part in a nightclub assault in Birmingham, for which he was ordered to pay a total of £1,085 in fines and costs but it was not immediately clear if this was the reason for the accreditation refusal.

Welsh boxing performance director James Thomas said: "Fred is the Olympic silver medallist and European champion and he wanted to come to the Games and win a gold medal.

"Obviously we were aware of his conviction earlier this year and we certainly don't condone that kind of behaviour but sport is a fantastic vehicle for rehabilitation and we hoped Fred would have been able to continue to box and improve his lifestyle through the sport.

"Fred has been aware for the last two or three weeks of the battle we have been fighting, and we have had some really good support from Sport Wales, the British Olympic Association, UK Sport and Team Wales.

"Fred has remained focused and committed in training and he has been the model professional athlete over the last three or four months.

"It is sad to see such a fantastic athlete go out when everyone would have loved to see him box. Fred is part of a close-knit team and he has wished the rest of the team well."

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Post a Comment - View More User Comments (0)
Top Headlines Danny Williams Returns, Faces Ali Eren Demirezen in Hamburg Edis Tatli Takes on Manuel Lancia on December 17 Canelo vs. Saunders Showdown Fully Backed By WBO Prez Weights: David Lemieux, Cristian Fabian Rios Ready To Fight Eggington Predicts Damage: I'm Going To Do a Job on Gavin Jeff Horn Ready For IBF Strap: 100%, Bring on Errol Spence! Hooker Plans on Testing Perez's Chin Early on Kovalev vs. Ward Marin, Pintor Make Weight For Boxeo Telemundo Season Finale Photo: Micki Nielsen, Kevin Lerena Ready For Battle Abel Sanchez Very Confident That Andy Ruiz Beats Joseph Parker Frampton: I'll Make it Two-Nil, Santa Cruz Only Fights One Way! Golovkin's Coach: I Doubt Canelo Will Last Eight or Nine Rounds Jeff Horn Crushes Rico Mueller As Title Shot Nears David Haye: Fans Want Me To Smash Tony Bellew, Shut Him Up Joshua Taylor Tabbed To Become World Champion By McGuigan Tim Bradley: I Need To Retire A Winner, Capture One More Title Eric Molina: I'll Fight Anthony Joshua or David Price on Dec. 10 Canelo: It Would Be an Honor To Rematch Miguel Cotto Kevin Lerena Confident of Knocking Micki Nielsen Out Dejan Zlaticanin: I'm Fighting Mikey Garcia on January 28 Custio Clayton Stops Ramses Agaton in Eight Rounds in Montreal WBO Prez To Canelo Critics: Why Did Golovkin Reject Andre Ward! Terence Crawford Seeks Foe For 12/10, Antonio Orozco Next? Chavez Sr. Expects His Son To Return Stronger, Better Than Ever Jessie Magdaleno, Oscar Valdez Discuss Their PPV Fights Golovkin, Sanchez Frown at Golden Boy's Offer To Face Canelo Charlo-Williams, Cuellar-Mares, Promoted By Schaefer, on Dec. 10 Photos: LaRon Mitchell, Scott Alexander Ready For Battle Photos: Valdez, Magdaleno Putting in Work For PPV Fights Golovkin's Promoter Willing To Make Concessions To Get Canelo David Price: If I Land Joshua, I'm Going in There To Do Damage WBO Prez: No Doubt Canelo Knocks Mayweather Out in Rematch! Orlando Salido's Adviser Provides Update on Back Injury Abel Sanchez Has High Expectations For Alex Saucedo Photos: Gennady Golovkin is a Big Hit in Mexico City Parker-Ruiz Approved For WBO Belt, Winner Must Face David Haye Sam Soliman Over The Moon With Court Victory in Germany Coyle-Hibbert, Scarpa-Davies, Bellotti Set For Nov 26 at Wembley Hearn Frustrated: Klitschko-Browne is Huge Letdown For Fans! Carl Frampton Says Rematch Deal Finalized With Leo Santa Cruz

Latest Active Forum Threads