Frank Warren on Murray-Mitchell, Hatton, Cook, More
By Frank Warren
EVERYONE thinks promoting is easy. You set up a great fight, sell out your venue, your man wins and you go home happy.
This week though has reminded me just how tough a business promotion can be.
Tony Bellew was supposed to be headlining at York Hall tonight on my first show of the year.
But he broke a knuckle towards the end of last week, ruling him out.
So I got 2007 amateur world champion Frankie Gavin, who was fighting in an eight rounder on the undercard, to step up to top the bill against former European and IBO champ Jason Cook.
After a hectic few days I went to bed on Tuesday exhausted - but satisfied the show had been saved.
But on Wednesday I heard second-hand that Cook wasn't going to fight because he said he couldn't make the weight. Although he took the fight at late notice, it's hard to feel much sympathy for him because he told us he was in shape.
And his trainer even did an interview saying how confident he was that Jason would win! Someone from his camp told Sky the fight was off before they even mentioned anything to me.
It's not the first time I've struggled to keep a show together - I'll never forget the trouble when Danny Williams pulled out of his fight with Matt Skelton.
I found out only when his wife phoned me to tell me he had a cold.
This was after he was declared fit at the weigh-in and telling me he was raring to go!
When shows get cancelled, everyone suffers. The promoter doesn't get paid, and nor does anyone else involved.
BOXING'S merry-go-round swung into action this week after Manny Pacquiao decided to vacate his WBC light-middleweight title.
That proved good news for Matthew Hatton - Ricky's younger brother - who gets to fight for the vacant title against Saul Alvarez in the States.
He's the European welterweight champion but I'm not convinced he's the best in his division in the North of England, let alone the whole of Europe.
For me, Kell Brook is the better fighter. I'm keen on pairing Brook and American Mike Jones.
ANOTHER fight fell through this week when Kevin Mitchell decided he did not want to face John Murray on April 2.
He later revealed on his Facebook page that 'politics' were to blame.
But it's got nothing to do with politics - just money.
Mitchell asked me for the fight against European lightweight champion Murray, and I offered him a good package.
Unfortunately Kevin turned it down.
He's coming off a bad loss against Michael Katsidis and hasn't fought for 10 months, so it was difficult to justify mega-purse money.
It is Kevin's right not to fight - but it's a shame because I'm confident I could have delivered the winner a world-title fight in the summer.
Murray will still appear on the Wembley Arena card, defending his title. He was willing to come to London to challenge Kevin so it is a great shame for the fans that the fight isn't happening.
Don't bite the fish eyes that feed you Kevin. Back to the bins for you son.Comment by David1976 on 02-19-2011
Oh dear. It sounds like Kev has bottled it. I was very disappointed when I watched him from ringside against Katsides. I fear it will now be a long road to redepemption or another shot at a World Title Fight…Post a Comment - View More User Comments (2)