Boxer's Books - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Thread Navigation

Old 08-24-2006, 11:45 PM
NJFighter91
#1 P4P Heavyweight

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 6141 NJFighter91 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFighter91 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFighter91 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFighter91 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFighter91 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFighter91 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFighter91 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFighter91 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFighter91 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFighter91 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFighter91 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 97,281.00
Default Boxer's Books

What are some good boxing books, especially biography's...

These are the ones I've read.

Iron Mike-A Mike Tyson Reader
The Devil and Sonny Liston
Bad Intentions:A Mike Tyson Story
Blood Season-Tyson and the World of Boxing
Soul of a Butterfly
Facing Ali
King of the World

Iron Mike was my favorite. It was a great book.

The Devil and Sonny Liston was a really boring book. I mean, I always fell asleep after a few pages of reading it.

Bad Intentions/Blood Season were both ok book but they were written in 1989-1993 so it was very outdated but some good stuff on Cus and his early times.

Soul of a Butterfly is the best book ever. I recommend everyone to read it.

Facing Ali wasn't really a biography, but mroe on excerpts from some of his opponents and what they thought of him. Good book.

King of the World is a really good book but some stuff got boring at times.

Post the books you've read and how they were.

Question, if anyone has read a good Sonny Liston book, please post.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 08-25-2006, 02:40 AM
La_Vibora
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Rep Power: 15 La_Vibora has a reputation beyond reputeLa_Vibora has a reputation beyond reputeLa_Vibora has a reputation beyond reputeLa_Vibora has a reputation beyond reputeLa_Vibora has a reputation beyond reputeLa_Vibora has a reputation beyond reputeLa_Vibora has a reputation beyond reputeLa_Vibora has a reputation beyond reputeLa_Vibora has a reputation beyond reputeLa_Vibora has a reputation beyond reputeLa_Vibora has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 179,754,987.24
Total Points: 1,894,922,180.80

Yeah I kind of agree about the Devil and Sonny Liston, I thought the author strayed away from Sonny a bit too much and had a bit too much rand dom stuff in there.

On another note, you seem to be a Mike Tyson fan, I would recommend reading the book "The inner ring" by Rudy Gonzalez. It was written by Tyson's driver/bodyguard, who went through everything with him. He talks about how everyone was screwing Mike over like Don King, Robin Givens, and even Donald Trump. It also highlights some evidence that suggest that Tyson shouldn't have been commited for rape. Its a really good book that you should certainly check out if you get a chance and will help you to better understand what Mike was going through and why he was always so depressed. Anyways my list is:

Raging Bull - Jake LaMotta
Cinderella Man
Unforgiveable blackness - Jack Johnson
Charley Burley: The Life & Hard Times of an Uncrowned Champion
Joe Louis: The Great Black Hope
Rocky Marciano: The Rock of His Times
The Ageless Warrior: The Life of Boxing Legend Archie Moore
Jack Dempsey: A Flame of Pure Fire
Sugar Ray (Robinson)

These are a couple of my favorites off the top of my head.

Last edited by La_Vibora; 08-25-2006 at 02:48 AM.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:27 AM
The Raging Bull
Make Us Dream

Rep Power: 2371 The Raging Bull has a reputation beyond reputeThe Raging Bull has a reputation beyond reputeThe Raging Bull has a reputation beyond reputeThe Raging Bull has a reputation beyond reputeThe Raging Bull has a reputation beyond reputeThe Raging Bull has a reputation beyond reputeThe Raging Bull has a reputation beyond reputeThe Raging Bull has a reputation beyond reputeThe Raging Bull has a reputation beyond reputeThe Raging Bull has a reputation beyond reputeThe Raging Bull has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 34,669,026.41
Total Points: 34,792,998.80
Thanks for the Karma - Toda Caine 
Send a message via AIM to The Raging Bull Send a message via MSN to The Raging Bull

Here are a few I have that haven't been mentioned:

Muhammad Ali: His life and times
Jo Louis: The Brown Bomber
Rocky Marciano: Biography of a first son
Ghosts Of Manilla

Thats off the top of my head.
I recommend them all
Old 08-25-2006, 09:35 AM
jason100x
SLAY HER

Rep Power: 16 jason100x has a reputation beyond reputejason100x has a reputation beyond reputejason100x has a reputation beyond reputejason100x has a reputation beyond reputejason100x has a reputation beyond reputejason100x has a reputation beyond reputejason100x has a reputation beyond reputejason100x has a reputation beyond reputejason100x has a reputation beyond reputejason100x has a reputation beyond reputejason100x has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,324,210,324.59
Total Points: 10,264,215,201.04

My favorite boxing biographies are:
Joe Louis:The Great Black Hope
Rocky Marciano:The Rock Of His Times
Muhammad Ali: His Life And Times
Jack Dempsey: A Flame Of Pure Fire
Jack Johnson: Unforgivable Blackness
Cinderella man
Archie Moore: The Ageless Warrior
Gene Tunney by John Jarret
Pound for Pound: A Biography of Sugar Ray Robinson (I liked it as a biography but the fight descriptions are a bit weak, certainly when compared to the other books I mentioned)

I also liked The Devil and Sonny Liston but Nick Tosches' writing style isn't for everyone.

For books on the skills of boxing, I like How To Be An Ass Whipping Boxer by Champ Thomas.
Boxing Mastery by Mark Hatmaker
Box Like The Pros by Joe Frazier
Championship Fighting by Jack Dempsey
Championship Streetfighting by Ned Beaumont
Old 08-25-2006, 09:51 AM
GEOFFHAYES
Juy Hayes

Rep Power: 25 GEOFFHAYES has a brilliant futureGEOFFHAYES has a brilliant futureGEOFFHAYES has a brilliant futureGEOFFHAYES has a brilliant futureGEOFFHAYES has a brilliant futureGEOFFHAYES has a brilliant futureGEOFFHAYES has a brilliant futureGEOFFHAYES has a brilliant futureGEOFFHAYES has a brilliant futureGEOFFHAYES has a brilliant futureGEOFFHAYES has a brilliant future
Total Points: 265,189.55

'Dark Trade' and 'War, Baby' are good reads.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:15 AM
Phantasm
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 Phantasm has a reputation beyond reputePhantasm has a reputation beyond reputePhantasm has a reputation beyond reputePhantasm has a reputation beyond reputePhantasm has a reputation beyond reputePhantasm has a reputation beyond reputePhantasm has a reputation beyond reputePhantasm has a reputation beyond reputePhantasm has a reputation beyond reputePhantasm has a reputation beyond reputePhantasm has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 64,601.07

Great, and I just bought The Devil and Sonny Liston this week. Oh well. Cinderella Man was a great read. Pound for Pound was good as well, though I think it was a little too biased sometimes; but I hear it is more truthful than the autobio Robinson wrote. Ali's bio, by Hauser I believe, was one of the best.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:29 AM
NJFighter91
#1 P4P Heavyweight

Rep Power: 6141 NJFighter91 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFighter91 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFighter91 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFighter91 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFighter91 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFighter91 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFighter91 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFighter91 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFighter91 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFighter91 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFighter91 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, great lists guys. I don't really have a job so I don't buy them so I have to go to the library for all my reading. I doubt, they have most of these books...

Yeah, Rudy Gonzalez knew a lot about Tyson. I'm definately gonna try to find that book.

EDIT-My local library has an online search catalog and I searched for msot of those books and the only ones there were was just one Jack Dempsey book, A Flame of Pure Fire.

Last edited by NJFighter91; 08-25-2006 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:42 PM
jason100x
SLAY HER

Rep Power: 16 jason100x has a reputation beyond reputejason100x has a reputation beyond reputejason100x has a reputation beyond reputejason100x has a reputation beyond reputejason100x has a reputation beyond reputejason100x has a reputation beyond reputejason100x has a reputation beyond reputejason100x has a reputation beyond reputejason100x has a reputation beyond reputejason100x has a reputation beyond reputejason100x has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,324,210,324.59
Total Points: 10,264,215,201.04

I forgot to mention in my list a great book by Thomas Hauser. I don't Believe It But It's True, Another Remarkable Year in Boxing. It's a collection of essays and reports he wrote over the last year dealing with boxing related issues both inside the rin and behind the scene. Great stuff and he's a top notch writer.

I was also told that John L. Sullivan: The Career of the First Gloved Heavyweight Champion by Adam J. Pollack is coming out in a few weeks. It's being put out by McFarland Press who put out great obscure books on whatever their subject matter is, although they are expensive and this one is $45, but I'll probably get it anyway.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:46 PM
NJFighter91
#1 P4P Heavyweight

Awesome.

I'm gonna write these down and hopefully next year when I'm 16 I can get a job to buy them
Old 08-25-2006, 04:09 PM
jumpman_jones
Contender

Rep Power: 11 jumpman_jones has a reputation beyond reputejumpman_jones has a reputation beyond reputejumpman_jones has a reputation beyond reputejumpman_jones has a reputation beyond reputejumpman_jones has a reputation beyond reputejumpman_jones has a reputation beyond reputejumpman_jones has a reputation beyond reputejumpman_jones has a reputation beyond reputejumpman_jones has a reputation beyond reputejumpman_jones has a reputation beyond reputejumpman_jones has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 14,861.00

Undefeated: The Life and Times of Rocky Marciano, i currently have that one commnig in.

Share This With Friends

User Tag List