Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
Thread Navigation

Old 07-12-2006, 08:51 AM
HUMMERGON
Banned

Rep Power: 0 HUMMERGON is infamous around these partsHUMMERGON is infamous around these partsHUMMERGON is infamous around these partsHUMMERGON is infamous around these partsHUMMERGON is infamous around these partsHUMMERGON is infamous around these partsHUMMERGON is infamous around these partsHUMMERGON is infamous around these partsHUMMERGON is infamous around these partsHUMMERGON is infamous around these partsHUMMERGON is infamous around these parts
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 15,043.00
Default Chris Eubank Talking About Nigel Benn, Roy Jones Junior And Joe Calzaghe::

extracts from his book::

EUBANK ON BENN

People used to talk about Benn as, pound-for-pound, the hardest puncher in the game. I can vouch for that - in my opinion, he was equal to what Tyson is reputed to be. Benns power was simply astonishing. Fight fans ask me which punch of Benns was the hardest - i say, `Simple, all of them.` Every shot. The jab to the head was like a huge battering ram, his left hook was devastating. When Benn hit you, you stayed hit. Most boxers hit you and even if it is a good shot its damage is fleeting; its just a punch. When Benn hit you, it was a lucid, lingering punch; it was almost like a living entity whose sole purpose was to wreak havoc inside your skull. That degree of shocking power cannot be trained into someone, it is just within them. The equation is speed + strength = power, but there is a natural factor as well. Benn had the lot, he was so strong, so lightning fast. He is by far the hardest puncher i have ever come across.

EUBANK ON JONES JUNIOR

Dodging a fighter is a cardinal sin in boxing and is something i can never be accused of, unlike one such character who came on the scene at the end of my era. Roy Jones, James Toney and Michael Nunn for example. I did not dodge.

Lets use Roy Jones as an example. When people asked me why i wouldnt fight him, I would say to them, `Never mind the title or my job, a fight like that could take five or six years off my life.` I was well aware of that. He was, pound-for-pound, arguably the best fighter on the planet; in regards to his style, his devastating punching ability, the whole repertoire, he had it.

The rule is that if you are champion of the world for one body, you cannot be the No. 1 contender for another belt. Unless someone was officially the recognised No. 1 contender, i had no professional obligation to face them. With Roy Jones, he was fortunately (and i use that word with the utmost respect) never No. 1 contender. Had he been, I would not have dodged. I would have taken the fight. Would have i have won the fight? Highly unlikely. What would have been for sure was that he would have come away from the fight and got hurt, and i would have been hurt probably far more than he was. It would of been a war. Technically we would have been well-matched, so our pure grit would have started to come into play. I believe we both had powerful wills, so I feel that fight would have ended up running on pure instinct. That can be an exceptionally violent occurrence. Interestingly, i was told that Roy Jones was rumoured to have said that the only fighter he had reservations about facing was me. I dont remember any of my critics saying much about that.

EUBANK ON CALZAGHE

There is an exceptionally skilled fighter called Joe Calzaghe, whom i took a bout against at 11 days` notice after his proposed fight with Steve Collins fell through. Despite Calzaghes impressive reputation, I was prepared to enter the ring with him with less preparation than would be ideal for such a contest.

>talks about preparation and the fight in length<

Calzaghe had very fast hands and an awkward southpaw style, so he proved to be quite a handful.

>talks about post-fight<

Calzaghe was undoubtedly a good fighter but he struggled to show his `box office`, which was always going to hold him back. Unfortunately, the nature of the modern game demands that to be gifted, disciplined and technically skilled is not necessarily enough. You must have character, charisma and personality as well. Boxing skills will get you talked about in the boxing press, but charisma will make you, `box office`, and will get you on to the front pages.

Last edited by HUMMERGON; 07-12-2006 at 09:03 AM.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 07-12-2006, 08:58 AM
Boxing4Real
Don Omega

Rep Power: 2001 Boxing4Real has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing4Real has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing4Real has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing4Real has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing4Real has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing4Real has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing4Real has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing4Real has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing4Real has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing4Real has a reputation beyond reputeBoxing4Real has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 9,018,153.62

Great excerpts. Hmm...I might have to buy that book.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:03 AM
SnoopySmurf
Banned

Rep Power: 39 SnoopySmurf has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopySmurf has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopySmurf has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopySmurf has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopySmurf has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopySmurf has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopySmurf has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopySmurf has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopySmurf has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopySmurf has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopySmurf has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 145,039,513,675.67
Total Points: 145,589,543,127.58
No Message - Makavelli 

JuyJuy will not read the part about Roy Jones Jr.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:44 AM
jack_the_rippuh
I to your mom..

Rep Power: 21553 jack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,969,009.40
Total Points: 83,391,977.93
thanks for helping me dig it - boxing_prospect a bribe to red k wlad owns and to tell him it's from i am ike. lol - i am ike since you feel ill , player. an apple a day keep the doctor away. - i am ike here swallow all these pills and it'll help you throw up. - i am ike please vote richloc for mod in 2008 - Left Hook Tua 
One of boxingscene's best - BostonGuy For the new boxingscene millionaire... Oh i forgot hook me some of your good K mate.... - FasTHarD Best Poster On Boxingscene! - Dorian THE GOAT - RJJ The Truth To a fellow dark mind. - Mizzou 
to the most sick minded individual to ever step foot in BoxingScene...we await your return jackula...mwahahahaa - BritishBoxing92 

Excellent post. I liked reading the one about Nigel Benn and Roy Jones Jr. the most. As much as I like Eubank, I'd have to pick Roy over him.
Eubank couldn't take a body punch for nothing in this world and I've seen Roy change the course of fights with a single body punch...take for instance the body punch he landed on Clinton Woods at the end of the third round in their fight. Woods was never the same after that body shot. As far as Nigel Benn goes..he really did look like the type of puncher Eubank described him as the way he committed to punches was almost as if he didn't give a **** about the return fire hitting him. Boxing needs another fighter like him or a Tito Trinidad.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:23 AM
BIGPOPPAPUMP
Big Bad Booty Daddy

Rep Power: 200000 BIGPOPPAPUMP has a reputation beyond reputeBIGPOPPAPUMP has a reputation beyond reputeBIGPOPPAPUMP has a reputation beyond reputeBIGPOPPAPUMP has a reputation beyond reputeBIGPOPPAPUMP has a reputation beyond reputeBIGPOPPAPUMP has a reputation beyond reputeBIGPOPPAPUMP has a reputation beyond reputeBIGPOPPAPUMP has a reputation beyond reputeBIGPOPPAPUMP has a reputation beyond reputeBIGPOPPAPUMP has a reputation beyond reputeBIGPOPPAPUMP has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 2,502,088,070,663.61
16k posts. cheers - MELLY-MEL... To our dad. Thanks for looking after us! - S a m u r a i Unban ЯiZO - Hugh Janus Unban ЯiZO - Hugh Janus Cheers, to the servers BPP! - mangler 
unban kev183 - Kevin Jesus Thanks for all u du Pops! - jazluvr For the Sam Tribute thread! Thanks Pops! - jazluvr Our Boxingscene father, who art in heaven.... - Disposable Arts A Medal For Boxing Scenes Father...... ;-) nyargles! - BritishBoxing92 
Apple for Pump - Poor Lad Enjoy your Parallelogram - Spray_resistant Merry Christmas - Flab ...and a Happy New Year! - Flab .........no homo - MANIAC310 
for the amazing job you do reporting the boxing news! - jose830 happy holidays Popa! - jazluvr To wipe yourself down with after Reeno's sprayed his seed up you - !! Anorak Kudos to responding to the trolling!  Seeing your pic of Mayweather on the throne has become a daily routine for me. - Trudoe saw your name on my 'recent visitor list'...I'm flattered :flirt: - -jose- 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Butterball Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - S a m u r a i Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - S a m u r a i Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - S a m u r a i Childhood Cancer - S a m u r a i 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - -Ash- Head and Neck Cancer - -Ash- Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - -Ash- Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - bearman3000 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jazluvr Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jazluvr Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Grand Champ Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - jazluvr 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - bigpauly Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Trudoe 

I am now convinced that half the users here are really juyjuy.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Super Cruiserweight
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Super Cruiserweight is infamous around these partsSuper Cruiserweight is infamous around these partsSuper Cruiserweight is infamous around these partsSuper Cruiserweight is infamous around these partsSuper Cruiserweight is infamous around these partsSuper Cruiserweight is infamous around these partsSuper Cruiserweight is infamous around these partsSuper Cruiserweight is infamous around these partsSuper Cruiserweight is infamous around these partsSuper Cruiserweight is infamous around these partsSuper Cruiserweight is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 22,271.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_the_rippuh
Excellent post. I liked reading the one about Nigel Benn and Roy Jones Jr. the most. As much as I like Eubank, I'd have to pick Roy over him.
Eubank couldn't take a body punch for nothing in this world and I've seen Roy change the course of fights with a single body punch...take for instance the body punch he landed on Clinton Woods at the end of the third round in their fight. Woods was never the same after that body shot. As far as Nigel Benn goes..he really did look like the type of puncher Eubank described him as the way he committed to punches was almost as if he didn't give a **** about the return fire hitting him. Boxing needs another fighter like him or a Tito Trinidad.
Yeah Bill Miller (trainer Of James Toney And Lindell Holmes) Was Once Asked What Plan He Would Devise To Beat Eubanks And He Said "bodyshots" And Walked Off.....a Few Days After The Eubanks/holmes Fight, Miller Was Again Asked How James Would Beat The Awkward Eubanks And, Rather Simply He Said "eubanks always Makes Mistakes, Make A Mistake Against James Toney And More Often Than Not You Pay For It"..........made Sense, Make Me Realise James Toney Would Of Beaten Eubanks, Let Alone Rjj..!
Old 07-12-2006, 10:24 AM
THE REAL NINJA
Undisputed Champ

Rep Power: 18661 THE REAL NINJA has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REAL NINJA has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REAL NINJA has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REAL NINJA has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REAL NINJA has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REAL NINJA has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REAL NINJA has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REAL NINJA has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REAL NINJA has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REAL NINJA has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REAL NINJA has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,188,596.71
Total Points: 1,310,395.44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP
lmao i've felt that way for a long time .
Old 07-12-2006, 10:24 AM
LOLORSKATES
Finish The Fight

Rep Power: 5902 LOLORSKATES has a reputation beyond reputeLOLORSKATES has a reputation beyond reputeLOLORSKATES has a reputation beyond reputeLOLORSKATES has a reputation beyond reputeLOLORSKATES has a reputation beyond reputeLOLORSKATES has a reputation beyond reputeLOLORSKATES has a reputation beyond reputeLOLORSKATES has a reputation beyond reputeLOLORSKATES has a reputation beyond reputeLOLORSKATES has a reputation beyond reputeLOLORSKATES has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 356,857.78
Total Points: 3,428,803.47
Great post, man. I'm still laughing. Good shit. - sweet pea 50 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - BOLLOCKS Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - MANGLER AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - DorianWozniacki 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP
Check your pm's and how true.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:25 AM
JuicyJuice
Banned

Rep Power: 0 JuicyJuice has a reputation beyond reputeJuicyJuice has a reputation beyond reputeJuicyJuice has a reputation beyond reputeJuicyJuice has a reputation beyond reputeJuicyJuice has a reputation beyond reputeJuicyJuice has a reputation beyond reputeJuicyJuice has a reputation beyond reputeJuicyJuice has a reputation beyond reputeJuicyJuice has a reputation beyond reputeJuicyJuice has a reputation beyond reputeJuicyJuice has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 126,859.00

I need to get Eubank's book.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:27 AM
LOLORSKATES
Finish The Fight

Rep Power: 5902 LOLORSKATES has a reputation beyond reputeLOLORSKATES has a reputation beyond reputeLOLORSKATES has a reputation beyond reputeLOLORSKATES has a reputation beyond reputeLOLORSKATES has a reputation beyond reputeLOLORSKATES has a reputation beyond reputeLOLORSKATES has a reputation beyond reputeLOLORSKATES has a reputation beyond reputeLOLORSKATES has a reputation beyond reputeLOLORSKATES has a reputation beyond reputeLOLORSKATES has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 356,857.78
Total Points: 3,428,803.47
Great post, man. I'm still laughing. Good shit. - sweet pea 50 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - BOLLOCKS Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - MANGLER AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - DorianWozniacki 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuicyJuice
I need to get Eubank's book.
One Word: Priceless