Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Non Boxing Talk > Mixed Martial Arts Discussion
View Poll Results: Does getting paid for winning a fight void the fighter of amateur status? If you need info, read my
Silva 12 46.15%
Rutten 14 53.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Navigation

Old 10-20-2002, 08:19 AM

Bank: 0
Total Points: 0
Default WINNER PAID -- Pro or Amateur...

academiachuteboxe... PLEASE EXPLAIN SOMETHING for me...

:?:

You are an amateur MMA fighter. Yet, Chris Mize pays the winner of his MMA fights $100 for the victory. Doesn't that void amateur status???

I can understand the hotel accomodations -- but paying an 'amateur' fighter doesn't seem legit.

Secondly, you won you fight on his card, therefore you were paid $100. When promoters ask do you tell them about the money???

Please clarify. What do you other guys think? Cast your vote now.

Thanks.
8)
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 10-20-2002, 12:52 PM

Come'on guys VOTE!
Old 10-20-2002, 03:11 PM
DOGGx0

Rep Power: 33 DOGGx0 has a reputation beyond reputeDOGGx0 has a reputation beyond reputeDOGGx0 has a reputation beyond reputeDOGGx0 has a reputation beyond reputeDOGGx0 has a reputation beyond reputeDOGGx0 has a reputation beyond reputeDOGGx0 has a reputation beyond reputeDOGGx0 has a reputation beyond reputeDOGGx0 has a reputation beyond reputeDOGGx0 has a reputation beyond reputeDOGGx0 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 18,414.58
Total Points: 554,018.90
Send a message via AIM to DOGGx0 Send a message via MSN to DOGGx0

I voted yes.

Because it is true, that if you get money for a fighting... you are a Proffessional fighter.

If you are fighting C level, B level or A level.... as long as you are getting paid.. you are a pro. Amatures do free shows for exposure, face, record.

-Dogg
Old 10-20-2002, 06:21 PM
Bella
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 21 Bella has a reputation beyond reputeBella has a reputation beyond reputeBella has a reputation beyond reputeBella has a reputation beyond reputeBella has a reputation beyond reputeBella has a reputation beyond reputeBella has a reputation beyond reputeBella has a reputation beyond reputeBella has a reputation beyond reputeBella has a reputation beyond reputeBella has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 85,630.00

Im with you guys. Amateur status is for no compensation, but as dogg mentioned I can understand the hotel accomodations.
Old 10-20-2002, 07:37 PM
academiachuteboxe
Contender

Rep Power: 0 academiachuteboxe is infamous around these partsacademiachuteboxe is infamous around these partsacademiachuteboxe is infamous around these partsacademiachuteboxe is infamous around these partsacademiachuteboxe is infamous around these partsacademiachuteboxe is infamous around these partsacademiachuteboxe is infamous around these partsacademiachuteboxe is infamous around these partsacademiachuteboxe is infamous around these partsacademiachuteboxe is infamous around these partsacademiachuteboxe is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 26,494.00

Good question/topic. I am not sure how to answer that to be honest with you. Think about this...you can fight in an amateur toughman contest and win $500 but that does not make you a pro boxer.

I think the line between "pro" and amateur in these local organizations is thin. Now- we all know that UFC, KOTC, Pride, etc fighters are pro. However, on these small cards there are always a couple of "pro" fighters. I think that is simply determined by the # of fights that one has. I think I remembering that once someone has 8 fights they can be considered pro. However, I am not sure about all of this so maybe someone else can chime in.

All I know is this....I am not complaining about getting the $100

Sorry this didn't help more.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:51 PM

WHO VOTED "NO" AND WHY???
Old 10-21-2002, 02:46 AM
TuffGuy
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 0 TuffGuy is infamous around these partsTuffGuy is infamous around these partsTuffGuy is infamous around these partsTuffGuy is infamous around these partsTuffGuy is infamous around these partsTuffGuy is infamous around these partsTuffGuy is infamous around these partsTuffGuy is infamous around these partsTuffGuy is infamous around these partsTuffGuy is infamous around these partsTuffGuy is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 59,483.00
Send a message via AIM to TuffGuy Send a message via Yahoo to TuffGuy

Well maybe this will clarify things. If you fight in open handed shows they arent put on your pro record. You are paid for them though. Kage Kombat and some of the other shows that feature a pancration style are usually considered ametuer fights when it comes to your record. These fights will not show up on your record if and when you do become pro. You are paid regardless if you win or lose. The winner is paid the fee for fighting and the winners purse. The loser recieves the money for showing and fighting only.
Ask pro fighters if theses guys are pros though. Majority of them will say yes. The biggest differences are skill level. That is the biggest difference between A level fighters, B level fighters and C level fighters. I would classify Kage Kombat as a C level show. To sum it all up I would say yes you are a pro fighter the minute you fight in an organized show and recieve money.
Old 10-21-2002, 06:54 AM

I think academiachuteboxe must of cast the only 'NO' vote.
Old 10-21-2002, 08:14 AM
Allison
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 23 Allison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 105,629.95

In boxing, being paid for a fight doesn't constitute being a professional.
Old 10-21-2002, 08:17 AM

What country are you referring to Allison?