Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 09-15-2014, 11:36 AM
evilzombie123
Amateur

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 2,424.65
Send a message via Yahoo to evilzombie123
Default What do you fill your heavy bag with?

Hey everyone, just here to offer suggestion just in case you are currently looking for proper material to fill a heavy bag with and am curious what you have used in the past for it as well.

So many people say sand and rags or towels, but the downside I have heard is that everything settles in the bottom or you get random hard spots that are difficult to work through to soften that area again. After browsing through the local Lowes and Home Depot stores I came across rubber mulch that I bought for $7 per 20 lbs bag. I got 4 of those and filled up my empty canvas bag to the top to make an 80 lbs bag.

After several months of pounding the tar out of said heavy bag there are no hard spots, the larger rubber chunks do not settle and compact in the same way that sand does. And if by some chance it does compact somewhat (this happens every 2 or 3 months with daily use) but it still feels soft enough to hit and to de-compress the rubber just tip the bag upside down and shake it for a minute or so, good as new.

After using rubber mulch and having owned sand filled heavy bags in the past I can tell you this. It feels stronger and mores resistant because the rubber does not shift easily, punching the bag feels much closer to hitting a person due to the slight give that rubber has, evenly distributes throughout the bag and leaves no random hard or soft spots to discover later, 80 lbs(4 bags) of rubber mulch fills out the bag completely. After using it for a few months buy another bag and stuff the top section with a little more to even it out if it settles a little. I have been able to hit the bag as hard and as fast as I need to during the heavy interval times in my workouts without any worry of injury so long as I wrap properly thanks to the more consistent resistance of the rubber.

Hope my little description of my experience with rubber mulch in a canvas heavy bag helped someone in their bag filling quest of searching for stuff to fill with.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 09-15-2014, 04:03 PM
Ray Corso
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 Ray Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 11,000,068,265.48
Listen to Ray, he knows boxing - valero Knowledgable poster - Weltz Knowledgeable - Beercules invaluable to the training forum - jas 

Once or twice a week drop the bag and turn it upside down for a day or two or over night. This way it might have a change to redirect some of the stuffing falling to the bottom to fall back to the top.
Ray
Old 09-15-2014, 04:15 PM
-Weltschmerz-
Das Unheimliche

Rep Power: 33 -Weltschmerz- has a reputation beyond repute-Weltschmerz- has a reputation beyond repute-Weltschmerz- has a reputation beyond repute-Weltschmerz- has a reputation beyond repute-Weltschmerz- has a reputation beyond repute-Weltschmerz- has a reputation beyond repute-Weltschmerz- has a reputation beyond repute-Weltschmerz- has a reputation beyond repute-Weltschmerz- has a reputation beyond repute-Weltschmerz- has a reputation beyond repute-Weltschmerz- has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,347,792,643,010,141.25
Total Points: 1,350,039,923,784,026.25
one of boxingscene's best - Freedom. bomb ass poster - thuggery One of the best posters on this site. - Scott.Weiland. One of the best posters on this site. - Scott.Weiland. I appreciate the green K - Boxing Goat 
One of BoxingScene's best. - PainfromUkraine welcome back - Freedom2014 Right back at you sir. - Keitha313 Thanks. Cheers - Boxing Goat Cheers mate. - Augustane 
ATG poster - sugarsmosley Top man - Scott.Weiland. I'll drink to that. - ßringer I commend your action on the war against Nostagliatards - Red Cyclone funny poster - jas 
No Message - Lebanon Here's Wlads ring.I just came in it you can lick it up after you're finished giving him a B1tch T1T ride when you take your bra off and takes more scratched out face pics - Col. Hans Landa Hope u have a kick ass time at the fight - Boxing Goat Beterbiev - wladavit 

sea sand...........
Old 09-16-2014, 01:13 AM
Spartacus Sully
The Great John L.

Rep Power: 30 Spartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 42,302,577,006.84
Total Points: 42,302,679,304.89
u da man .... thx 4 da castillo corrales cap - -Boxzilla- king of da 720p thread ... - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- 
Castillo Correles 720p...yeeaaa - Training4all 26 Gb!!...wow!!..nice work bro!! - Training4all ur good people ylem ... 720p homey - -Boxzilla- For setting Piggy straight, good stuff - Cuauhtémoc1502 Top top poster - rorymac 
Cheers! - Uncle Howie lite beer ... rookie! :D lol - I ♥ RVP demonoid - ƒallenloki Merry Christmas - Flab ...and a Happy New Year! - Flab 
Here's a lolli for EASTER :) - Bossy Nice looking beard :fing02: my brother has one similar to yours, that mofo takes care of that thing more than he takes care of his wife lol - -jose- 

i used sand and stuffing.

when the sand setteled, id leave it there and fill the bag up with more sand, when that sand settleded id leave it there and fill it up with more sand.

eventually i ended up with a bag that was 10% stuffing and 90% sand.

don't have a problem with random hard spots as the whole bag is solid as a bag of concrete.

Rubber mulch is a good idea.