Ali-Williams (1966) - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 06-01-2006, 10:21 PM
butterfly1964
The HW Sugar Ray!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rep Power: 983 butterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,088,823.14
Total Points: 1,345,850.51
Default Ali-Williams (1966)

I was going through my own personal boxing video library, and I came across the Ali-Williams fight, a fight I thought I didn't even have. Well, I popped it in, and I watched it. I haven't seen the fight in it's entirety for about a couple of years, and I noticed that Ali didn't knock him out! He won on a TKO. All this time I thought Ali knocked the Big Cat out cold, and he just kept knocking him down, and the ref stopped it. It just amazing the things one can find out. I learn something new everyday, eh?

Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 06-01-2006, 10:24 PM
sleazyfellow
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Rep Power: 329 sleazyfellow has a reputation beyond reputesleazyfellow has a reputation beyond reputesleazyfellow has a reputation beyond reputesleazyfellow has a reputation beyond reputesleazyfellow has a reputation beyond reputesleazyfellow has a reputation beyond reputesleazyfellow has a reputation beyond reputesleazyfellow has a reputation beyond reputesleazyfellow has a reputation beyond reputesleazyfellow has a reputation beyond reputesleazyfellow has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,495,907,329.90
Total Points: 2,495,933,222.80

u can be koed n still get up, cleveland was wobbly big time after the first knockdown, u wanted ali to kill him in the ring or what?
Old 06-02-2006, 01:06 AM
hellfire508
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 13 hellfire508 has a reputation beyond reputehellfire508 has a reputation beyond reputehellfire508 has a reputation beyond reputehellfire508 has a reputation beyond reputehellfire508 has a reputation beyond reputehellfire508 has a reputation beyond reputehellfire508 has a reputation beyond reputehellfire508 has a reputation beyond reputehellfire508 has a reputation beyond reputehellfire508 has a reputation beyond reputehellfire508 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 17,710.25
Total Points: 20,405.36

Despite Williams being shot - literally... it is still in my eyes the single best performance by any fighter in a fight.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:11 AM
Heckler
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 14 Heckler has a reputation beyond reputeHeckler has a reputation beyond reputeHeckler has a reputation beyond reputeHeckler has a reputation beyond reputeHeckler has a reputation beyond reputeHeckler has a reputation beyond reputeHeckler has a reputation beyond reputeHeckler has a reputation beyond reputeHeckler has a reputation beyond reputeHeckler has a reputation beyond reputeHeckler has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 41,647.08

Cleveland Williams was still a decent opponent, coming off a winning streak i believe. Watch Williams in the fight against Ali and ask yourself Would a prime Williams be able to do much better? Were there any oppurtunities that this version of Williams wasn't able to take advantage of, but in his prime he could've and in doing so produce a significantly better performance? I don't know if he could.

Ali looked sharpest in that fight against Williams. No clowning, he was well prepared and he went out there with the intention of putting Williams on the canvas ASAP to reduce the risk of Williams being seriously hurt. His performances in later matches in his pre-layoff career against Folley, Terell etc although still impressive were probably adversely affected by his legal battles and the political issues that were surrounding him and really starting to heat up at the time.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:40 AM
butterfly1964
The HW Sugar Ray!

Rep Power: 983 butterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,088,823.14
Total Points: 1,345,850.51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler
Cleveland Williams was still a decent opponent, coming off a winning streak i believe. Watch Williams in the fight against Ali and ask yourself Would a prime Williams be able to do much better? Were there any oppurtunities that this version of Williams wasn't able to take advantage of, but in his prime he could've and in doing so produce a significantly better performance? I don't know if he could.

Ali looked sharpest in that fight against Williams. No clowning, he was well prepared and he went out there with the intention of putting Williams on the canvas ASAP to reduce the risk of Williams being seriously hurt. His performances in later matches in his pre-layoff career against Folley, Terell etc although still impressive were probably adversely affected by his legal battles and the political issues that were surrounding him and really starting to heat up at the time.
Ali was still facing legal troubles at the time of the Williams fight, but he could have made his other fights like this. hye could have knocked out patterson and terell if he wanted to, and folley IMO was a very impressive performance as well.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:31 AM
BKM-
06-15

Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Rep Power: 33 BKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,011,253,545.44
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. Happy New Year Bro, All the bet for 2016 - Rocky... Happy 10 years - HughJass Elite Counter-Insurgent - //// No Message - King Krusher 

So he wanted to knock him out early because he didn't wanna hurt him badly? Thats respectfull in a way.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:30 PM
SABBATH
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 13 SABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 52,786.27
Send a message via AIM to SABBATH

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly1964
I was going through my own personal boxing video library, and I came across the Ali-Williams fight, a fight I thought I didn't even have. Well, I popped it in, and I watched it. I haven't seen the fight in it's entirety for about a couple of years, and I noticed that Ali didn't knock him out! He won on a TKO. All this time I thought Ali knocked the Big Cat out cold, and he just kept knocking him down, and the ref stopped it. It just amazing the things one can find out. I learn something new everyday, eh?
Butterfly,

The first right hand that Ali dropped Williams with was almost the same shot he floored Liston with. Ali while moving backwards hits Williams with a right on the chin snapping it downwards. Williams gets pole axed. It was a sharp right on the button thrown with quickness and timing.

Compare it to the Liston knockdown (watch it in slow motion as Liston's head gets snapped downwards) and decide if you still think it's a phantom punch.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:38 PM
Brassangel
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Rep Power: 13 Brassangel has a reputation beyond reputeBrassangel has a reputation beyond reputeBrassangel has a reputation beyond reputeBrassangel has a reputation beyond reputeBrassangel has a reputation beyond reputeBrassangel has a reputation beyond reputeBrassangel has a reputation beyond reputeBrassangel has a reputation beyond reputeBrassangel has a reputation beyond reputeBrassangel has a reputation beyond reputeBrassangel has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,069,864.67

When someone is caught off guard by a fast, trained punch, it will hurt. It may even scramble one's eggs. While I am a firm believer that Sonny quit in that fight, Ali did hit him hard before Liston made the decision to give up. The punch against Williams was probably a little bit more dynamic than the previous punch mentioned above.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:59 PM
SABBATH
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 13 SABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 52,786.27
Send a message via AIM to SABBATH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassangel
When someone is caught off guard by a fast, trained punch, it will hurt. It may even scramble one's eggs. While I am a firm believer that Sonny quit in that fight, Ali did hit him hard before Liston made the decision to give up. The punch against Williams was probably a little bit more dynamic than the previous punch mentioned above.
If you watch Liston's head snap, you can see it was no phantom punch. The elasticity in Liston's knees also gives. It was a legit knockdown but Liston could have gotten up in time if Ali had went to a corner.

Watch for yourself.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5T_dHRLn5...sonny%20liston

Last edited by SABBATH; 06-02-2006 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:19 PM
BKM-
06-15

Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Rep Power: 33 BKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond reputeBKM- has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,011,253,545.44
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. Happy New Year Bro, All the bet for 2016 - Rocky... Happy 10 years - HughJass Elite Counter-Insurgent - //// No Message - King Krusher 

I've always said that the punch was real and Liston got KO'd. Yeah Butterfly1964.

Share This With Friends

User Tag List