Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 02-06-2005, 03:07 AM
pyropig
Amateur

Rep Power: 0 pyropig has a reputation beyond reputepyropig has a reputation beyond reputepyropig has a reputation beyond reputepyropig has a reputation beyond reputepyropig has a reputation beyond reputepyropig has a reputation beyond reputepyropig has a reputation beyond reputepyropig has a reputation beyond reputepyropig has a reputation beyond reputepyropig has a reputation beyond reputepyropig has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 13,143.00
Default Harry Greb

I wanted to know if any of you guys knoew anything about this fighter from a long long time ago, Harry Greb, all I know is he had an incredible record of 177-12 (Im not 100% sure of the accuracy of those stats, Its close though) but the incredible part is he was blind in one eye, and partially in the other, and he was a dirty fighter, not one of them types that didnt liked to follow the rules.

I need to do a report on an athlete for school, everyone is doing, Michael Jordan, Barry Bonds, etc. etc. I thought it would be pretty cool to do one on an unknown boxer, that no one really knows about, teach them something new.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 02-06-2005, 01:59 PM
cple
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 13 cple has a reputation beyond reputecple has a reputation beyond reputecple has a reputation beyond reputecple has a reputation beyond reputecple has a reputation beyond reputecple has a reputation beyond reputecple has a reputation beyond reputecple has a reputation beyond reputecple has a reputation beyond reputecple has a reputation beyond reputecple has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 14,192.00

Harry Greb regularly fought the best welterweights, middleweights, lt. heavyweights, and even heavyweights of his time, while weighing around 164 pounds. Nicknamed the "Human Windmill" because of his swarming style and non-stop punching from every conceivable angle. In a total of 299 bouts, he amassed a record of 262(48kos)-21-15, and beat legends such as Jack Blackburn, Jack Dillon, Battling Levinsky, Kid Norfolk, Gene Tunney, Tommy Loughran, Tiger Flowers, Mickey Walker, Maxie Rosenbloom, among others, without a big punch. As you can see, that's a simply mind boggling record.

It is said that he was permanently blind in one eye after receiving a thumb from Kid Norfolk, and his best opposition came after this happened. Incredible. About his style, it is said that it was like none other. Like i noted before, he was a swarmer that threw non-stop punches from all angles. Eye witness accounts say that he possessed some of the quickest hands of all-time. And of course, he was a notoriously dirty fighter, utilizing anything to win: elbows, laces, heatbutts, thumbs, et. al.

In the end, he was one of the greatest fighters to ever live and is in my top 5 for sure.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:04 PM
Kid Achilles
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 113 Kid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 147,788.98
Total Points: 270,339.03

Check out www.harrygreb.com for pictures, info, and even some footage of the man.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:15 PM
M26
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 11 M26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 15,374.03

He was awesome. Reportedly, he drank and smoked heavily throughout most of his career and still he managed to throw punches nonstop for 15 rounds. If true, it boggles my mind! Bert Sugar has him as the third greatest fighter of all time, p4p.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:21 PM
jack_the_rippuh
Banned

Rep Power: 0 jack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,250,138.07
Total Points: 82,636,113.82
thanks for helping me dig it - boxing_prospect a bribe to red k wlad owns and to tell him it's from i am ike. lol - i am ike since you feel ill , player. an apple a day keep the doctor away. - i am ike here swallow all these pills and it'll help you throw up. - i am ike please vote richloc for mod in 2008 - Left Hook Tua 
One of boxingscene's best - BostonGuy For the new boxingscene millionaire... Oh i forgot hook me some of your good K mate.... - FasTHarD Best Poster On Boxingscene! - Dorian THE GOAT - RJJ The Truth To a fellow dark mind. - Mizzou 
to the most sick minded individual to ever step foot in BoxingScene...we await your return jackula...mwahahahaa - BritishBoxing92 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cple
Harry Greb regularly fought the best welterweights, middleweights, lt. heavyweights, and even heavyweights of his time, while weighing around 164 pounds. Nicknamed the "Human Windmill" because of his swarming style and non-stop punching from every conceivable angle. In a total of 299 bouts, he amassed a record of 262(48kos)-21-15, and beat legends such as Jack Blackburn, Jack Dillon, Battling Levinsky, Kid Norfolk, Gene Tunney, Tommy Loughran, Tiger Flowers, Mickey Walker, Maxie Rosenbloom, among others, without a big punch. As you can see, that's a simply mind boggling record.

It is said that he was permanently blind in one eye after receiving a thumb from Kid Norfolk, and his best opposition came after this happened. Incredible. About his style, it is said that it was like none other. Like i noted before, he was a swarmer that threw non-stop punches from all angles. Eye witness accounts say that he possessed some of the quickest hands of all-time. And of course, he was a notoriously dirty fighter, utilizing anything to win: elbows, laces, heatbutts, thumbs, et. al.

In the end, he was one of the greatest fighters to ever live and is in my top 5 for sure.
Was he the best swarmer ever?
Old 02-07-2005, 06:19 PM
cple
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 13 cple has a reputation beyond reputecple has a reputation beyond reputecple has a reputation beyond reputecple has a reputation beyond reputecple has a reputation beyond reputecple has a reputation beyond reputecple has a reputation beyond reputecple has a reputation beyond reputecple has a reputation beyond reputecple has a reputation beyond reputecple has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 14,192.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_the_rippuh
Was he the best swarmer ever?
I can't necessarily confirm that, since i haven't seen him in action and the fact that there have been so many great swarmers: Dempsey, Frazier, Armstrong, LaMotta, et. al. But i'll say that he was probably the most accomplished swarmer that fought the best opposition.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:27 PM
Kid Achilles
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 113 Kid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 147,788.98
Total Points: 270,339.03

The thing was not only was he a great swarmer, but also a great boxer in the traditional sense as well. Overall he was probably one of the most gifted fighter ever. Awesome handspeed, unlimited endurance, great chin and heart and lots of skill. He had everything but a big punch and if he had that he would probably be hands down the greatest fighting machine of all time.

Mediocre puncher as he was,I've read that he gave Dempsey all he could handle in sparring (and Dempsey didn't hold back when he sparred regardless of whether he was fighting a middleweight, a lightweight, his grandmother, anyone) and that tells you all you need to know there.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:38 PM
Dynamite76
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 13 Dynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 70,756.52

When did they spar, when Dempsey was champ or contender?
Old 02-14-2005, 06:04 PM
Imira
Kwahn pah sak

Rep Power: 10 Imira has a reputation beyond reputeImira has a reputation beyond reputeImira has a reputation beyond reputeImira has a reputation beyond reputeImira has a reputation beyond reputeImira has a reputation beyond reputeImira has a reputation beyond reputeImira has a reputation beyond reputeImira has a reputation beyond reputeImira has a reputation beyond reputeImira has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 17,640.00
Send a message via Yahoo to Imira

Harry Greb was also the only man to ever beat Gene Tunney.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:41 PM
QueenCity
the Cincinnati kid

Rep Power: 27 QueenCity has a reputation beyond reputeQueenCity has a reputation beyond reputeQueenCity has a reputation beyond reputeQueenCity has a reputation beyond reputeQueenCity has a reputation beyond reputeQueenCity has a reputation beyond reputeQueenCity has a reputation beyond reputeQueenCity has a reputation beyond reputeQueenCity has a reputation beyond reputeQueenCity has a reputation beyond reputeQueenCity has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 20,471.53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Achilles
Check out www.harrygreb.com for pictures, info, and even some footage of the man.
thats a good link thanks for putting it up