Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 05-11-2006, 07:26 PM
SABBATH
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 11 SABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond reputeSABBATH has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 43,639.27
Send a message via AIM to SABBATH
Default Larry Holmes On Marciano, Louis, Ali And Tyson

After reading this I think Butterfly and Larry Holmes are the same person....

EL: A little word association, tell me the first thing that comes to mind. Iíll start with Rocky Marciano?

LH: He was a good fighter, strong and powerful for his size and from what I have seen and heard he was a very determined fighter. You canít put those guys like Marciano or anyone else in with todayís class of fighters. Fighters today are much bigger, stronger and quicker and not only that but referees, judges and doctors back then were very strict and if your head got busted up the fight would be stopped.

EL: Joe Louis?

LH: Joe Louis was a good Heavyweight, good boxer but he was kind of in the same boat as Marciano, weighing about 190 to 200 lbs. The guys today are just too strong and back then they would take many hard punches to land one. I donít think Joe Louis could take the punches today fighting in this era.

EL: Muhammad Ali?

LH: Muhammad could take a very good punch. He was slick, he could move, he could hit, make you miss, good hand speed and combinations and one of the greatest fighters of all time in my opinion. He would have been tough for anyone to beat including me. With both of us in our prime I still think I would have won. It would have been very tough.

EL: Mike Tyson?

LH: Mike Tyson would have been a good sparring partner for me and Muhammad Ali because Tyson was a fast fighter and he could punch and throw good combinations. Those guys were made for me and Muhammad because they come straight in and donít back up but you had to watch out for his punching power but if we could have neutralized that then we would have been fine.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 05-11-2006, 07:39 PM
RockyMarcianofan00
The Rock of His Times

Rep Power: 32 RockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 150,131.57
Total Points: 227,410.91

Larry Holmes was a good fighter but his views on old boxers are alittle wierd.
him beating muhammad ali?
marciano not being able to beat todays hw's?
Tyson only good enough to be a sparring partner?
kinda makes you wonder how hard he's been hit
Old 05-11-2006, 07:44 PM
LondonRingRules
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 13 LondonRingRules has a reputation beyond reputeLondonRingRules has a reputation beyond reputeLondonRingRules has a reputation beyond reputeLondonRingRules has a reputation beyond reputeLondonRingRules has a reputation beyond reputeLondonRingRules has a reputation beyond reputeLondonRingRules has a reputation beyond reputeLondonRingRules has a reputation beyond reputeLondonRingRules has a reputation beyond reputeLondonRingRules has a reputation beyond reputeLondonRingRules has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 65,504.38
A new boxing encyclopedia for your collection. Not that you need it! - BattlingNelson 

I'm sure Larry can be very gracious, but he's known more for his idiotic public comments.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:46 PM
Yogi
Hey, Boo Boo

Rep Power: 143 Yogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 40,155.36
Boxingscene's elite - !! AI-Holmes!! To a clever bear. A Superbear! - BatTheMan 

"I think the older fighters had a lot more skill and heart than today's fighters. Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, Ali Jack Dempsey, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Earnie Shavers, Ken Norton, Jerry Quarry, George Chuvalo.....all were great fighters and hard to rank. Guys that we didn't hear too much of like Jimmy Young, Jeff Merritt, Bossman Jones were great fighters also and could beat today's guy." - Larry Holmes (said by him on his website)
Old 05-11-2006, 07:51 PM
dansweeney
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 216 dansweeney has a reputation beyond reputedansweeney has a reputation beyond reputedansweeney has a reputation beyond reputedansweeney has a reputation beyond reputedansweeney has a reputation beyond reputedansweeney has a reputation beyond reputedansweeney has a reputation beyond reputedansweeney has a reputation beyond reputedansweeney has a reputation beyond reputedansweeney has a reputation beyond reputedansweeney has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 551,141.24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABBATH
After reading this I think Butterfly and Larry Holmes are the same person....

EL: A little word association, tell me the first thing that comes to mind. Iíll start with Rocky Marciano?

LH: He was a good fighter, strong and powerful for his size and from what I have seen and heard he was a very determined fighter. You canít put those guys like Marciano or anyone else in with todayís class of fighters. Fighters today are much bigger, stronger and quicker and not only that but referees, judges and doctors back then were very strict and if your head got busted up the fight would be stopped.

EL: Joe Louis?

LH: Joe Louis was a good Heavyweight, good boxer but he was kind of in the same boat as Marciano, weighing about 190 to 200 lbs. The guys today are just too strong and back then they would take many hard punches to land one. I donít think Joe Louis could take the punches today fighting in this era.

EL: Muhammad Ali?

LH: Muhammad could take a very good punch. He was slick, he could move, he could hit, make you miss, good hand speed and combinations and one of the greatest fighters of all time in my opinion. He would have been tough for anyone to beat including me. With both of us in our prime I still think I would have won. It would have been very tough.

EL: Mike Tyson?

LH: Mike Tyson would have been a good sparring partner for me and Muhammad Ali because Tyson was a fast fighter and he could punch and throw good combinations. Those guys were made for me and Muhammad because they come straight in and donít back up but you had to watch out for his punching power but if we could have neutralized that then we would have been fine.
of course he wouldn't give tyson any credit, tyson beat his ass and was the only man to ever stop holmes, and holmes fought many times after that, mercer, holyfield, and others still couldn't do what tyson did years later. and him talking like he and Ali are the same fighter is bogus as hell.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:22 AM
DaddysBoy
Contender

Rep Power: 9 DaddysBoy has a brilliant futureDaddysBoy has a brilliant futureDaddysBoy has a brilliant futureDaddysBoy has a brilliant futureDaddysBoy has a brilliant futureDaddysBoy has a brilliant futureDaddysBoy has a brilliant futureDaddysBoy has a brilliant futureDaddysBoy has a brilliant futureDaddysBoy has a brilliant futureDaddysBoy has a brilliant future
Total Points: 13,516.66

What a ****in joke! ali would kick his ass anytime from 63-75. this bitter old fool must be more punchy than I thought.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:48 AM
Southpaw Stinger
Trousersnake Fondler

Rep Power: 223 Southpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Stinger has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 121,131,270,473,670.42
Total Points: 121,131,270,478,342.81
No Message - -veteran420- No Message - -veteran420- good for the liver lad - -veteran420- 5 years, pity I missed the 1st 4 - Clyde Barrow merry xmas - Subtraction 
No Message - - v e t - Merry Christmas - Flab Care to join me? :) x - *Boss Lady* Happy new year! - Toney Loc :) - *Boss Lady* 
:kiss: - *Boss Lady* :flirt: - *Boss Lady* :kiss: - *Boss Lady* Yes, your majesty. Your wish is my command. - *Boss Lady* Did you know that I walked around saying ... 'Breakdown, innit, innit, innit, innit, innit, innit, innit, innit ... ALL DAY LONG?! That would be your fault! - *Boss Lady* 
I need a drink, fancy it? - Bossy You're sex on legs. I'll get the pints. :luvbed: - Bossy Easter pint for my e-lover :love: - Bossy Who could stay miserable after that? :love: - Bossy Good Sir, I hope you are well. - Uns 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - _PlaT_NuM_ Hepatitis C - _PlaT_NuM_ Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - PensionKiller World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Mr Jones AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Clyde Barrow 
Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - -veteran420- Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - MANGLER Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - -veteran420- 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - -veteran420- Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - LeeVanCleef Autism - -veteran420- Autism - -veteran420- Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - -veteran420- 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - INSECT Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Nani Loc Head and Neck Cancer - Southpaw Stinger Alzheimer's - Crohn's &amp; Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - Southpaw Stinger Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - - v e t - 

Quote:
him beating muhammad ali?
marciano not being able to beat todays hw's?
Tyson only good enough to be a sparring partner?
kinda makes you wonder how hard he's been hit
lol! I never liked Holmes anyway. He worships a statue of himself that has a speaker system in it's arse that comes out with **** daily.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Dempsey 1919
Manassah's finest!

Rep Power: 981 Dempsey 1919 has a reputation beyond reputeDempsey 1919 has a reputation beyond reputeDempsey 1919 has a reputation beyond reputeDempsey 1919 has a reputation beyond reputeDempsey 1919 has a reputation beyond reputeDempsey 1919 has a reputation beyond reputeDempsey 1919 has a reputation beyond reputeDempsey 1919 has a reputation beyond reputeDempsey 1919 has a reputation beyond reputeDempsey 1919 has a reputation beyond reputeDempsey 1919 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 841,695.70
Total Points: 1,043,559.33

i guess holmes is bitter for all the ****kickings ali gave him in sparring.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:17 PM
mgkirkpatrick
act like you know

Rep Power: 46 mgkirkpatrick has a reputation beyond reputemgkirkpatrick has a reputation beyond reputemgkirkpatrick has a reputation beyond reputemgkirkpatrick has a reputation beyond reputemgkirkpatrick has a reputation beyond reputemgkirkpatrick has a reputation beyond reputemgkirkpatrick has a reputation beyond reputemgkirkpatrick has a reputation beyond reputemgkirkpatrick has a reputation beyond reputemgkirkpatrick has a reputation beyond reputemgkirkpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 32,139.16
Total Points: 194,961.37
Cheers to you too!!! - BennyST So Ya don't have to watch Big Brother ;P - woftam Enjoy while watching Ten HD - Salty Got a gift for you. Now you're e-rich - ??? Superman! - BennyST 
Heres one for the road. - Team Mundine cheer up champ - Bronco's were terrific. - woftam Happy New Year - woftam 

what a ****stain.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Yaman
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 27 Yaman has a reputation beyond reputeYaman has a reputation beyond reputeYaman has a reputation beyond reputeYaman has a reputation beyond reputeYaman has a reputation beyond reputeYaman has a reputation beyond reputeYaman has a reputation beyond reputeYaman has a reputation beyond reputeYaman has a reputation beyond reputeYaman has a reputation beyond reputeYaman has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 11,189,729.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly1964
i guess holmes is bitter for all the ****kickings ali gave him in sparring.
Ahem..Ali wasn't doing the ****kicking bro.

But i agree, Holmes has the worst caracter of any HW champ ever. Maybe James Toney will surpass him if he wins the title.