If Marciano trained so hard, then how come he wasn't over-trained for any fights? - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 05-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Jenks88
Up and Comer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 0 Jenks88 has a reputation beyond reputeJenks88 has a reputation beyond reputeJenks88 has a reputation beyond reputeJenks88 has a reputation beyond reputeJenks88 has a reputation beyond reputeJenks88 has a reputation beyond reputeJenks88 has a reputation beyond reputeJenks88 has a reputation beyond reputeJenks88 has a reputation beyond reputeJenks88 has a reputation beyond reputeJenks88 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 16,208.00
Default If Marciano trained so hard, then how come he wasn't over-trained for any fights?

I was just thinking about this. Marciano supposedly ran like 12-15 miles every day, did like 150 rounds of sparring + all the other gym work at 100% intensity, so how come he never came into any of his fights weak and over-trained? I read interviews with trainers today and they say they don't want their fighters to train too hard and peak too early before the fight. I wonder why this didn't apply to Marciano...maybe just cause he was supernatural.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 05-10-2006, 08:18 PM
RockyMarcianofan00
The Rock of His Times

Rep Power: 34 RockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 153,134.20
Total Points: 249,636.54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenks88
I was just thinking about this. Marciano supposedly ran like 12-15 miles every day, did like 150 rounds of sparring + all the other gym work at 100% intensity, so how come he never came into any of his fights weak and over-trained? I read interviews with trainers today and they say they don't want their fighters to train too hard and peak too early before the fight. I wonder why this didn't apply to Marciano...maybe just cause he was supernatural.
I suppose because Marciano had a good trainer that never pushed him past his limits. However Marciano did go to one fight ill prepared that was the first fight against Roland Lastarze. Marciano scored a controversial SD over Lastarza. the reason for this is because he didn't train for the fight. In his previous bout he knocked his opponent Carmine Vingo into a coma and he felt so guilty that he was either in a church praying or in the hospital waiting for news, he only got to train like a few weeks for the fight
Old 05-10-2006, 08:31 PM
Stiv Rex
Contender

Rep Power: 11 Stiv Rex has a reputation beyond reputeStiv Rex has a reputation beyond reputeStiv Rex has a reputation beyond reputeStiv Rex has a reputation beyond reputeStiv Rex has a reputation beyond reputeStiv Rex has a reputation beyond reputeStiv Rex has a reputation beyond reputeStiv Rex has a reputation beyond reputeStiv Rex has a reputation beyond reputeStiv Rex has a reputation beyond reputeStiv Rex has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 21,928.37

i never heard that thing about the first lastarza fight, interesting story.

i think the term "overtraining" applies strictly to physical training, not mental stuff. and whenever someone comes in "overtrained" they are usually weak from cutting weight too fast or keeping a lower than healthy weight for too long. this wasnt a problem for marciano because he was a heavyweight. he may have had target weights but if he didnt hit them he wasnt gonna kill himself to do it. plus overtraining comes from guys who yoyo weight between their fights. if a guy is always at his target weight he doesnt get weak when he has to come down, look at hopkins for a good example. hes always in training, so wouldnt he overtrain? nope, not when he keeps his weight steady.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:44 PM
ricecrispi
Contender

Rep Power: 12 ricecrispi has a reputation beyond reputericecrispi has a reputation beyond reputericecrispi has a reputation beyond reputericecrispi has a reputation beyond reputericecrispi has a reputation beyond reputericecrispi has a reputation beyond reputericecrispi has a reputation beyond reputericecrispi has a reputation beyond reputericecrispi has a reputation beyond reputericecrispi has a reputation beyond reputericecrispi has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 14,354.00

Overtraining is training past your limit and reduces you preformance. If you are well rested and take care of the body it also prevents overtraining. Train that way long enough and the body adapts and builds a higher threshold ot limit to amount of training.

Marciano trained hard at a daily basis to maintain that level. Wasn't developed overnight
Old 05-11-2006, 03:16 PM
K-DOGG
Mitakuye Oyasin

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Rep Power: 55 K-DOGG has a reputation beyond reputeK-DOGG has a reputation beyond reputeK-DOGG has a reputation beyond reputeK-DOGG has a reputation beyond reputeK-DOGG has a reputation beyond reputeK-DOGG has a reputation beyond reputeK-DOGG has a reputation beyond reputeK-DOGG has a reputation beyond reputeK-DOGG has a reputation beyond reputeK-DOGG has a reputation beyond reputeK-DOGG has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 6,071,908.58
Total Points: 10,003,861,977.32
Happy holidays and best wishes for 2016 - -Weltschmerz- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenks88
Some people are just naturally tougher than others. That, and the body grows used to routine. If Marciano trained that hard his whole career, I would think his body would have become acclimated to the regimen. Just what I think, though.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:41 PM
SuzieQ49
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 12 SuzieQ49 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzieQ49 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzieQ49 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzieQ49 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzieQ49 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzieQ49 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzieQ49 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzieQ49 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzieQ49 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzieQ49 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzieQ49 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 42,695.20

MARCIANO DID OVERRAINED FOR ONE FIGHT THAT I KNOW OF........ the first ezzard charles fight. it was the longest rocky ever trained for a fight and his handlers said it left rocky stale in the early rounds cause of it.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:42 PM
RockyMarcianofan00
The Rock of His Times

Rep Power: 34 RockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 153,134.20
Total Points: 249,636.54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49
MARCIANO DID OVERRAINED FOR ONE FIGHT THAT I KNOW OF........ the first ezzard charles fight. it was the longest rocky ever trained for a fight and his handlers said it left rocky stale in the early rounds cause of it.
interesting i didn't know that
Old 05-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Kid Achilles
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 115 Kid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 159,971.55
Total Points: 325,375.60

That is correct. I remember watching that matchup, or perhaps it was another fight, on a video of an episode of the The Main Event (Marciano's show from the 60's where he narrated fights). On that broadcast, Marciano admitted he had overtrained and had felt stale from the begining.

Share This With Friends

User Tag List