Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Golovkin's Popularity a Farce, or Boxing's Real Deal?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Golovkin's Popularity a Farce, or Boxing's Real Deal?

Everybody in Industry has acclimated to Golovkin... Is this fact? Air Jordan, Apple, Samsung, HBO's half prince to Alvarez.. We get posters that try and prove themselves that the UK voted Gennady p4p #1.... Posters claim that Gennady has stolen the Mexican fans...

ESPN: ''Gennady Golovkin's Jekyll and Hyde persona has helped him become boxing's biggest global star, according to the people who guide his career.

A global audience of millions in over 100 countries will tune in live to watch boxing's most entertaining fighter defend two (WBC and IBF) of his three world middleweight titles against Britain's Kell Brook at the O2 Arena in London on Saturday.''
    - Dan Parkinson

''His popularity with each fight is growing dramatically and this fight will be shown live in over 100 countries," Loeffler told ESPN.'' - Loeffler

''When he grows in popularity, he's going to have to move up...'' - Abel Sanchez

So when does Golovkin's popularity ''grow?''
    Yes Golovkin Is Popular enough now to move up
    50.00%
    No, forget what Abel said, popular or not, he should stay at 160
    50.00%
    Last edited by Lester Tutor; 10-24-2016, 04:40 PM.

I'm not believing that he's the most popular.

I see Canelo in ads (tv, paper, billboard, etc) where he's not even promoting a fight, just a product. I've never seen anything like that with Golovkin, but I see it with Canelo every week. Canelo still does bigger numbers against comparable competition in the US. So, Canelo is certainly more popular in the states.
    Golovkin may be more popular in the UK but, as the folks over there are often quick to remind us, they are a much smaller population.

With the British boxing renaissance and rise of Anthony Joshua, Joshua might soon eclipse Golovkin.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
      I'm not believing that he's the most popular.

I see Canelo in ads (tv, paper, billboard, etc) where he's not even promoting a fight, just a product. I've never seen anything like that with Golovkin, but I see it with Canelo every week. Canelo still does bigger numbers against comparable competition in the US. So, Canelo is certainly more popular in the states.
      Golovkin may be more popular in the UK but, as the folks over there are often quick to remind us, they are a much smaller population.

With the British boxing renaissance and rise of Anthony Joshua, Joshua might soon eclipse Golovkin.
      Canelo is Mexican, that's all he needs to be more popular.

Comment

GGG is a legit boxer fighting at a very bad time for the sport. The mayweather model was a bad influence on many AMerican boxers, Broner, Garcia, Jacobs, etc...low risk high reward.

I'm not sure how you can fault GGG in this situation...????US boxing just sucks right now. GGG is doing everything he can...

Comment

He's just not the right nationality. For every Manny, there are thousands of good boxers from the 'wrong' nationality that make 100k tops fighting on under cards.

Golovkin will have major following among hardcore fans, but he'll never be a huge seller and doesn't have the time to become a cross over star. He'll offer opponents great paydays, but he'll never be instant riches like Floyd or Manny were.

Comment

GGG didnt get recoqnized by a soul at the heathrow airport in london
            Nobody knows who he is except for people on NSB
            Mr 97k probably paid Loeffler to pay 96,000 worth of PPVs

Comment

Working...
            X