Corbett spars Tunney - PURE GOLD - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 09-24-2015, 01:09 AM
McGoorty
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Rep Power: 14 McGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,050,584,171.36
To a pal who I also respect a lot! - Terry A Old timer expert with great emoticon use. - Barnburner missed you around - McGoorty Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah 
Top poster - Toney616 No Message - rorymac It's your honorary Warriors fan badge..wear it with pride! KA MATE!!!! - Jeff Da Maori Good thread - rorymac cheers!  eat your fish!  tasty and healthy! - uglypug 
Smile Corbett spars Tunney - PURE GOLD

Thought's please

Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 09-24-2015, 06:30 AM
The Old LefHook
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Rep Power: 4 The Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 482,185,815,095,912.38
Total Points: 482,185,815,096,176.38

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGoorty View Post
Thought's please

The uppercut was comical and the jab seemed to be telegraphed sometimes. But overall Corbett had a good bag of moves and feints on him. Corbett is really a seminal point. You can immediately see that he is a modern boxer in the essentials, and a good one, and that he is going to be a clever handfull to deal with. This transformation happened in the blink and of an eye, and much if not most of it was due to Corbett.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:38 PM
McGoorty
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Rep Power: 14 McGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,050,584,171.36
To a pal who I also respect a lot! - Terry A Old timer expert with great emoticon use. - Barnburner missed you around - McGoorty Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah 
Top poster - Toney616 No Message - rorymac It's your honorary Warriors fan badge..wear it with pride! KA MATE!!!! - Jeff Da Maori Good thread - rorymac cheers!  eat your fish!  tasty and healthy! - uglypug 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old LefHook View Post
The uppercut was comical and the jab seemed to be telegraphed sometimes. But overall Corbett had a good bag of moves and feints on him. Corbett is really a seminal point. You can immediately see that he is a modern boxer in the essentials, and a good one, and that he is going to be a clever handfull to deal with. This transformation happened in the blink and of an eye, and much if not most of it was due to Corbett.
uppercut was comical but it's because he is simply exaggerating it to make a point, his right to the head was excellent. I think the comic aspect was something that they all did back then... clowning for the camera, it was soon to become passe' but remember Corbett's prime was at the very birth of film
Old 09-26-2015, 07:21 PM
ShoulderRoll
Ph.D in the Sweet Science

Quoted: 3046 Post(s)
Rep Power: 71 ShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 105,021,032,474,545,422,336.00
Total Points: 105,021,032,474,545,422,336.00
excellent posts mate - Alx. good post about Wlad being like Bute - RossCA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA brewed just 4 u - sugarsmosley 
valuable advice to training forum - jas Thanks for the green man,I should have won poster of the year,but the site is in denial.bitches huh ? - Scott-Weiland 

Clinching was a part of a good boxer's repertoire even back then.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:18 AM
Sugar Adam Ali
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Rep Power: 58 Sugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 138,933,218,812,921,970,688.00
Total Points: 152,973,513,612,922,454,016.00
Congrats on 3000 posts! - LacedUp Agree with you on Bradley vs. Cotto tough fight or Tim - hectari you need more gifts, have a beer - sugarsmosley A beer to go along with your winnings from tonight's bets! :) - Tyler_Durden You know your sh1t! have a beer on me - jas 
a truly ATG poster - here's an apple to sustain that brain power - jas It's Easter time, here's an Easter Egg for being the most knowledgeable poster bar none - jas Always spitting out the truth. - Augustane You made some good and fair points for Pac Algieri matchup - hectari couldnt green, but excellent post on violent crime punishment - sugarsmosley 
appreciate the green - -jose- cheers - Beercules beer's on me bro - Mike D Well said - -jose- racist coward - boxingsupreme87 
Real talk - jas war sugar - Mike D No Message - mathed 
Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - jas Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jas Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - jas Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - jas 

Honestly, I know it was just a tutorial video, but not very impressed with either guy.. Tyson would knock both out in the same night. I honestly think these dudes wouldn't beat frank bruno or tommy Morrison
Old 09-27-2015, 05:50 PM
Ben Bolt
Interim Champion

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Rep Power: 8 Ben Bolt has a reputation beyond reputeBen Bolt has a reputation beyond reputeBen Bolt has a reputation beyond reputeBen Bolt has a reputation beyond reputeBen Bolt has a reputation beyond reputeBen Bolt has a reputation beyond reputeBen Bolt has a reputation beyond reputeBen Bolt has a reputation beyond reputeBen Bolt has a reputation beyond reputeBen Bolt has a reputation beyond reputeBen Bolt has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 5,073,183.33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
Tyson would knock both out in the same night. I honestly think these dudes wouldn't beat frank bruno or tommy Morrison
I believe a lot of today’s heavyweights would destroy them both.

In the Athens Olympic Games 1896, Thomas Burke won the 100 metres final with the time 12.0 seconds. I do think Usain Bolt would beat him if they clashed. Still, Burke was considered the fastest man on Earth in his time. That’s what counts.

We owe ‘em, these people who bothered, and found it important, to preserve footage of old warriors.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:20 PM
Mr.DagoWop
Interim Champion

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Rep Power: 3 Mr.DagoWop has a reputation beyond reputeMr.DagoWop has a reputation beyond reputeMr.DagoWop has a reputation beyond reputeMr.DagoWop has a reputation beyond reputeMr.DagoWop has a reputation beyond reputeMr.DagoWop has a reputation beyond reputeMr.DagoWop has a reputation beyond reputeMr.DagoWop has a reputation beyond reputeMr.DagoWop has a reputation beyond reputeMr.DagoWop has a reputation beyond reputeMr.DagoWop has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 40,871.50

I think the reason most heavyweights would knock them out is because back then up until the late 20's, boxing was a "gentlemen's" sport and wasn't so much a fight as it became in the 80's where you had guys like Tyson who had a sadistic style hell bent on knockouts if that makes any sense. It all come down to how the sport has evolved and 100 years from now the style of today might be seen as primitive.

I watched that video the day before the thread was even posted lol what a coincidence.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:04 AM
Ahmed_Ismail
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Rep Power: 5 Ahmed_Ismail has a reputation beyond reputeAhmed_Ismail has a reputation beyond reputeAhmed_Ismail has a reputation beyond reputeAhmed_Ismail has a reputation beyond reputeAhmed_Ismail has a reputation beyond reputeAhmed_Ismail has a reputation beyond reputeAhmed_Ismail has a reputation beyond reputeAhmed_Ismail has a reputation beyond reputeAhmed_Ismail has a reputation beyond reputeAhmed_Ismail has a reputation beyond reputeAhmed_Ismail has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 62,044.31
No Message - Y0@NN 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
I think the reason most heavyweights would knock them out is because back then up until the late 20's, boxing was a "gentlemen's" sport and wasn't so much a fight as it became in the 80's where you had guys like Tyson who had a sadistic style hell bent on knockouts if that makes any sense. It all come down to how the sport has evolved and 100 years from now the style of today might be seen as primitive.

I watched that video the day before the thread was even posted lol what a coincidence.
I don't think so, these people in the past used to fight like 20 rounds with like 4 oz. gloves, it was almost bare knuckle brawl till death, they just didn't have the athleticism, speed and technique that modern fighters had, but boxing was indeed a very brutal sport even back then, nobody gave a damn about fighters at the time, they were entretainment tools, especially black fighters.

In the video he was just trying to demonstrate the different punches and the technique was very primitive as u saw, but this was not an actual fight.

Last edited by Ahmed_Ismail; 09-28-2015 at 05:12 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:18 PM
Mr.DagoWop
Interim Champion

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Rep Power: 3 Mr.DagoWop has a reputation beyond reputeMr.DagoWop has a reputation beyond reputeMr.DagoWop has a reputation beyond reputeMr.DagoWop has a reputation beyond reputeMr.DagoWop has a reputation beyond reputeMr.DagoWop has a reputation beyond reputeMr.DagoWop has a reputation beyond reputeMr.DagoWop has a reputation beyond reputeMr.DagoWop has a reputation beyond reputeMr.DagoWop has a reputation beyond reputeMr.DagoWop has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 40,871.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed_Ismail View Post
I don't think so, these people in the past used to fight like 20 rounds with like 4 oz. gloves, it was almost bare knuckle brawl till death, they just didn't have the athleticism, speed and technique that modern fighters had, but boxing was indeed a very brutal sport even back then, nobody gave a damn about fighters at the time, they were entretainment tools, especially black fighters.

In the video he was just trying to demonstrate the different punches and the technique was very primitive as u saw, but this was not an actual fight.
Judging from other videos as a whole, it seems to me that stylistically boxing has changed dramatically. When was the last time you legitimately saw a fighter square up like this:

http://acculturated.com/wp-content/u...livan-1898.jpg
Old 09-28-2015, 08:29 PM
Anthony342
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Rep Power: 15 Anthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,228,444,883.97
Total Points: 121,343,633,448.96
Good Poster with an open mind. - Barnburner Merry Christmas Anthony! keep on postin - The Surgeon For always keeping your cool and objectivity - BKM-2010 

Uh, in the movie Timecop, in the opening scene taking place in the '20s?

Share This With Friends

Tags
corbett, gold, pure, spars, tunney

User Tag List