[Cardio] How fast should I run? - Boxing Forum
Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 01-17-2017, 09:07 PM #1
Interim Champion

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
asgarth has a reputation beyond reputeasgarth has a reputation beyond reputeasgarth has a reputation beyond reputeasgarth has a reputation beyond reputeasgarth has a reputation beyond reputeasgarth has a reputation beyond reputeasgarth has a reputation beyond reputeasgarth has a reputation beyond reputeasgarth has a reputation beyond reputeasgarth has a reputation beyond reputeasgarth has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 39,388.95
Default [Cardio] How fast should I run?

I started boxing recently again, went for 4 sparring rounds and was totally empty after 2 rounds (well, fought against an active amateur, so the pace was pretty fast)

My muscles are not the problem I think, because they dont get heavy, but breathing gets heavier and I dont get enough oxygen.

I also got myself a fitbit blaze watch to record my heartrate. The rates are divided in three categories:

a) Peak performance
b) Cardio
c) Weightloss

What is the best way to build boxing cardio? I know about aerobic and anaerobic training, but Im by no means an expert.

Should I start running long distance at a normal pace to gain a basic cardio level. Or should I already emphasize on intervall sprints to up my anerobic endurance?
asgarth is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 01-17-2017, 10:06 PM #2
Amateur

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hutchmx92 is on a distinguished road
Total Points: 286.98

I started boxing a month and half ago and was shell shocked how tired and how fast it happened. I hadnt been exercising regularly but didnt think i would bevas tired and winded as i was. After that day in the gym working just mitts , i started 3 long runs a week 30 min dont worry about time just yet .

After a week bump to 40
3rd week bump to 50
After that start doing 5 mile timed runs steady pace and on thr days off do sprints , 200 meters have been great for me and i usually do about 8 in a workout and they are at 85% effort not 100% until your final few.

That mixed in with jump roping on ither days and went in for my first sparring match after a month and half roughly , got through 3 rounds without a problem and worked mitts after them.
Hutchmx92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:05 AM #3
Contender

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
HeadBodyBodyBody is a splendid one to beholdHeadBodyBodyBody is a splendid one to beholdHeadBodyBodyBody is a splendid one to beholdHeadBodyBodyBody is a splendid one to beholdHeadBodyBodyBody is a splendid one to beholdHeadBodyBodyBody is a splendid one to beholdHeadBodyBodyBody is a splendid one to behold
Total Points: 20,073.17

1) Run as fast as you can for 3 mins, jog for 1 min. Repeat.

2) Long, steady, slow runs for increasing baseline fitness, endurance, etc.

3) Sprint sessions for explosiveness (uphill if possible).

4) Tempo runs, fast-paced but not all-out effort (85% maybe), half hour or so.

I list these sessions in order of importance for boxing, but that's just my opinion. I'd suggest doing one of each of these sessions every week AND RECORD YOUR TIMES/PROGRESS. There was a person at the gym a while back who came with 10k-racing experience (i.e. not especially explosive, very slight) who turned out to be an incredible boxer, mostly because of their baseline aerobic capacity I think - they never gassed. Good runners make good boxers, just generally speaking. Only increase weekly mileage/time 10% at a time, or you will probably injure yourself.

Also, don't rely on the fitbit. Are you going to be wearing a fitbit whilst you're in the ring??! Between rounds... "Oh, I'm at 95% HR, I'd better cool it down" hahaha
HeadBodyBodyBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:34 PM #4
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1766 Post(s)
Boxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 394,439.63
Cheers brother! - Redd Foxx 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asgarth View Post
I started boxing recently again, went for 4 sparring rounds and was totally empty after 2 rounds (well, fought against an active amateur, so the pace was pretty fast)

My muscles are not the problem I think, because they dont get heavy, but breathing gets heavier and I dont get enough oxygen.

I also got myself a fitbit blaze watch to record my heartrate. The rates are divided in three categories:

a) Peak performance
b) Cardio
c) Weightloss

What is the best way to build boxing cardio? I know about aerobic and anaerobic training, but Im by no means an expert.

Should I start running long distance at a normal pace to gain a basic cardio level. Or should I already emphasize on intervall sprints to up my anerobic endurance?
HeadBodyBodyBody, knows whats up. He wrote a pretty good general form of cardio for you. But also remember its not just your legs. When you are on a paced (distance) run remember to throw punches. No point of being able to move your legs but have to keep your hands down because your upper body is fatigue. Also swimming will help you gain big lungs without the joint pain.

Also 1 thing I have sworn by lately is jumping rope with wrist/ankle weights. I like to switch from ankle to wrist after each round finishing without weights on at all.

Lastly, although having a large gas tank is a must for a fighter, you should really focus on not having to to see how deep it runs. Focusing on quicker feet might benefit you a lil more. Your cardio will eventually get there with effort but you need to train your feet.
Boxfan83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:29 PM #5
Amateur

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
StrikeFirst101 is on a distinguished road
Total Points: 144.97
Smile

Kudos on getting back into boxing!

HeadBodyBodyBody brought it though. I agree with his suggestions. Stretch yourself, push hard but balanced and you'll see a big difference.
StrikeFirst101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:38 PM #6
Crawling King Snake

Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Mr.MojoRisin' has a reputation beyond reputeMr.MojoRisin' has a reputation beyond reputeMr.MojoRisin' has a reputation beyond reputeMr.MojoRisin' has a reputation beyond reputeMr.MojoRisin' has a reputation beyond reputeMr.MojoRisin' has a reputation beyond reputeMr.MojoRisin' has a reputation beyond reputeMr.MojoRisin' has a reputation beyond reputeMr.MojoRisin' has a reputation beyond reputeMr.MojoRisin' has a reputation beyond reputeMr.MojoRisin' has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 107,040.48
Total Points: 109,529.22

As fast as you can for the length of the roadwork. If you are comfortable then you are going too slow.
Mr.MojoRisin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:49 PM #7
Mint Milana

Quoted: 7836 Post(s)
Beercules has a reputation beyond reputeBeercules has a reputation beyond reputeBeercules has a reputation beyond reputeBeercules has a reputation beyond reputeBeercules has a reputation beyond reputeBeercules has a reputation beyond reputeBeercules has a reputation beyond reputeBeercules has a reputation beyond reputeBeercules has a reputation beyond reputeBeercules has a reputation beyond reputeBeercules has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 13,831,223,443,991,660.00
Total Points: 112,359,305,394,425,610,240.00
Merry Christmas! - Amazinger Have a safe one B! - -jose- Happy New Year.. - !! AI-Holmes!! For being you :) - AlexKid War Kovalev!! Cheers - Kovalev #1 
Vote Trump 2016! - Hype job Try some Heady Topper! - ..,Krusher,.. :beerchug: cheers broski! - -jose- Happy Cinco De Mayo. Lets get wasted. - Santa_ Big Pun 4eva!!!! son! - -jose- 
Canelo&gt;GGG - HiLo Rudyo! Boxing Scene's sweetheart - dirty fingers That Floyd-Ward post was hysterical.. lol - BoxingFan85 You funny ass motherf**ker - Mike D Keep up the GREAT POSTS! - anthonydavid11 
This avatar is driving me fucking nuts - PF Rudyo Trump baby!  Cheers bro - krazyn8tive Being a well respected member of boxingscene society - JimRaynor I'm digging the Xmas thread!  :fing02: - -jose- I just finished getting over some fcuked virus myself, hope you feel better B! - -jose- 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - jas Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jas Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - -jose- Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Beercules Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - -jose- 
Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - jas Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - jas Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Beercules Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - jas Hepatitis C - jas Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jas Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - jas Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- 
Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Beercules Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Beercules Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Beercules Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - -jose- Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Amazinger 

Until you puke
Beercules is online now   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
fast, run?, [cardio]

User Tag List