Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 04-09-2006, 08:50 AM
Alex.B
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Alex.B has a reputation beyond reputeAlex.B has a reputation beyond reputeAlex.B has a reputation beyond reputeAlex.B has a reputation beyond reputeAlex.B has a reputation beyond reputeAlex.B has a reputation beyond reputeAlex.B has a reputation beyond reputeAlex.B has a reputation beyond reputeAlex.B has a reputation beyond reputeAlex.B has a reputation beyond reputeAlex.B has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 19,955.00
Default Up and down the stairs better then running?

i was thinking,if some one goes up the stairs up and down 10 times,its 100meter up and 100 meter down,equles to about 1km,is it better then just running 1km in a stright line?
thanks
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 04-09-2006, 09:19 AM
ferocity
NOV. 3, NEW CHAMPION

Rep Power: 2914 ferocity has a reputation beyond reputeferocity has a reputation beyond reputeferocity has a reputation beyond reputeferocity has a reputation beyond reputeferocity has a reputation beyond reputeferocity has a reputation beyond reputeferocity has a reputation beyond reputeferocity has a reputation beyond reputeferocity has a reputation beyond reputeferocity has a reputation beyond reputeferocity has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,111,198.63
Total Points: 6,322,977.48
Cheers to Margarito! - Tunney ˇArriba Margarito! - Puas 

Its a great exercise for a boxer but running is still a very important part of a boxers conditioning.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:10 AM
Alex.B
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Alex.B has a reputation beyond reputeAlex.B has a reputation beyond reputeAlex.B has a reputation beyond reputeAlex.B has a reputation beyond reputeAlex.B has a reputation beyond reputeAlex.B has a reputation beyond reputeAlex.B has a reputation beyond reputeAlex.B has a reputation beyond reputeAlex.B has a reputation beyond reputeAlex.B has a reputation beyond reputeAlex.B has a reputation beyond repute

ok thanks,but is it better then runing the same distance?
Old 04-09-2006, 10:51 AM
TheHoff!
Laddie’s luscious lover

Rep Power: 0 TheHoff! has a reputation beyond reputeTheHoff! has a reputation beyond reputeTheHoff! has a reputation beyond reputeTheHoff! has a reputation beyond reputeTheHoff! has a reputation beyond reputeTheHoff! has a reputation beyond reputeTheHoff! has a reputation beyond reputeTheHoff! has a reputation beyond reputeTheHoff! has a reputation beyond reputeTheHoff! has a reputation beyond reputeTheHoff! has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 6.31
Total Points: 211,088.20

I'm not really sure about comparing the merits of going up and down stairs to actual roadwork but during the Diaz - cotto fight the commentators said that Diaz doesnt do any roadwork for conditioning. He just swims and uses the stairmaster at the gym...and Diaz looked in great shape so maybe there is something to be said for it, but i suppose you have to take into account that he wasnt just using the stairmaster only, but swimming as well which is an excellent anaerobic exercise.

I would say that just going up and down stairs has gotta be boring as hell though. At least with the roadwork the scenery changes and hills vary the intensity.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:10 AM
Alex.B
Banned

i prefer going up and down the stairs.
i think the stair master at the gym is not as effective as really going up and down the stairs,what do you think?
Old 04-09-2006, 11:29 AM
TheHoff!
Laddie’s luscious lover

Rep Power: 0 TheHoff! has a reputation beyond reputeTheHoff! has a reputation beyond reputeTheHoff! has a reputation beyond reputeTheHoff! has a reputation beyond reputeTheHoff! has a reputation beyond reputeTheHoff! has a reputation beyond reputeTheHoff! has a reputation beyond reputeTheHoff! has a reputation beyond reputeTheHoff! has a reputation beyond reputeTheHoff! has a reputation beyond reputeTheHoff! has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 6.31
Total Points: 211,088.20

To be honest I havent really tried just going up and down the stairs because I think I'd probably get bored after about five minutes. At my gym at least I can watch tv or admire ladies in lycra while I'm there, but I rarely use cardiovascular equipment at the gym. I go running for that and just use the gym for weights.

You might be right about the stairmaster compared to real stairs though, occassionally I use the stairmaster just for the fitness test. I put it on almost the highest setting but still dont get anywhere near my maximum heart rate...I would imagine real stairs is a harder workout.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:31 AM
Alex.B
Banned

i did like 2km on real stairs and let me tell you,when i finshed i was ****ed up,its 10 times harder then running,my heart rate was off the roof.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Kid Achilles
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 113 Kid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 159,971.55
Total Points: 288,965.60

Yeah you aren't going to get bored running stairs. Exhausted yeah, but not bored. Still I'd do some traditional roadwork on top of that if I were you. Think of the stairs as wind sprint type stuff. An important supplement, but not a replacement, for running and jogging.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Alex.B
Banned

ok thanks
well im going to the boxing gym will be back in like 2 hours
Old 04-09-2006, 11:36 AM
PunchDrunk
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 14 PunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond reputePunchDrunk has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 40,775.36

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinal
I'm not really sure about comparing the merits of going up and down stairs to actual roadwork but during the Diaz - cotto fight the commentators said that Diaz doesnt do any roadwork for conditioning. He just swims and uses the stairmaster at the gym...and Diaz looked in great shape so maybe there is something to be said for it, but i suppose you have to take into account that he wasnt just using the stairmaster only, but swimming as well which is an excellent anaerobic exercise.

I would say that just going up and down stairs has gotta be boring as hell though. At least with the roadwork the scenery changes and hills vary the intensity.
How is swimming anaerobic exercise??