Foreman completely overrated as a puncher. - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 02-11-2006, 04:55 PM
Kid Achilles
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 115 Kid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 159,971.55
Total Points: 325,450.60
Default Foreman completely overrated as a puncher.

While I do agree that Foreman had murderous force behind his punches, similar in that respect to Max Baer, he was not the knockout puncher he is remembered as.

All of his big wins and stoppages show him him battering half dazed opponents to the canvas over and over again. He was good at cutting off the ring, and once he got you against the ropes he turned you into a human heavybag, but when did he ever knock a man unconscious with a single punch, or even a two or three punch combination, in the center of the ring like Louis, Dempsey, Lewis, and even Marciano managed to do in their careers? He didn't because he lacked the ability to do so. He either didn't have the timing, or perhaps it was that his punches were a fraction of a second too slow to pull off one of the most coveted tricks in boxing history: the one punch finish.

Foreman was a powerhouse for certain, but he was more of a clubber than a puncher. Ali was absolutely correct when he said the same thing about Foreman in the mid 70's. Foreman bludgeoned and smashed, and deadened the senses of his opponents, but he did not have the ability to win a fight against world class opposition with a single blow.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 02-11-2006, 05:00 PM
butterfly1964
The HW Sugar Ray!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rep Power: 983 butterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,088,823.14
Total Points: 1,345,890.51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Achilles
While I do agree that Foreman had murderous force behind his punches, similar in that respect to Max Baer, he was not the knockout puncher he is remembered as.

All of his big wins and stoppages show him him battering half dazed opponents to the canvas over and over again. He was good at cutting off the ring, and once he got you against the ropes he turned you into a human heavybag, but when did he ever knock a man unconscious with a single punch, or even a two or three punch combination, in the center of the ring like Louis, Dempsey, Lewis, and even Marciano managed to do in their careers? He didn't because he lacked the ability to do so. He either didn't have the timing, or perhaps it was that his punches were a fraction of a second too slow to pull off one of the most coveted tricks in boxing history: the one punch finish.

Foreman was a powerhouse for certain, but he was more of a clubber than a puncher. Ali was absolutely correct when he said the same thing about Foreman in the mid 70's. Foreman bludgeoned and smashed, and deadened the senses of his opponents, but he did not have the ability to win a fight against world class opposition with a single blow.
but foreman still has more power in his arms than anyone!
Old 02-11-2006, 05:04 PM
RockyMarcianofan00
The Rock of His Times

Rep Power: 34 RockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 153,134.20
Total Points: 249,669.54

Problem was Foreman was an arm puncher he didn't use his legs only his arms but he could do that he was too big to do it any other way

He never finished ppl with big punches he finish ed with barrages so yes he is an overrated puncher but as far as power and barrages go he's pretty on the money
________
Park Royal 3 Condominium

Last edited by RockyMarcianofan00; 08-23-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:07 PM
Southpaw16
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 Southpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw16 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 85,676.18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Achilles

The second coming of Foreman won many fights on a single blow on his route to the title. Most notably his knockout of Moorer, although Moorer isn't great. If you watch Foreman fight, his style was to put his hands out in front of him and muscle his opponents into the ropes, where he would start throwing bombs as his opponent is covering up. He never really liked to punch in the center of the ring, which is why he didn't score too many knockouts there. Maybe you are right in terms of his lacking timing, but in terms of pure force behind his punches I think Foreman is the best ever.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:08 PM
RockyMarcianofan00
The Rock of His Times

Rep Power: 34 RockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond reputeRockyMarcianofan00 has a reputation beyond repute

yea he also makes a mean hamburger on his grill
:-P
________
Live sex webshows

Last edited by RockyMarcianofan00; 08-23-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:09 PM
Oasis_Lad
Can you fly, Bobby?

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Rep Power: 21593 Oasis_Lad has a reputation beyond reputeOasis_Lad has a reputation beyond reputeOasis_Lad has a reputation beyond reputeOasis_Lad has a reputation beyond reputeOasis_Lad has a reputation beyond reputeOasis_Lad has a reputation beyond reputeOasis_Lad has a reputation beyond reputeOasis_Lad has a reputation beyond reputeOasis_Lad has a reputation beyond reputeOasis_Lad has a reputation beyond reputeOasis_Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 147,829,493,809.92
Total Points: 21,000,148,829,661,632.00
a cake for one of those big titted girls to jum out of. - JAB5239 I know your fimiliar with this, boy - Mucus Apple - ßreakbeat Vaniity - Spray_resistant much love - -Jack- 
No Message - -veteran420- merry xmas - Subtraction beer for you buddy - -pound4pound- welcome back... - BritishBoxing92 Merry Christmas - Flab 
Happy new year! - Toney Loc Fancy a bum? - Tuggers1986 Some of those gifs you be posting are funny ass hell, except the guy initiating the other one in triggs group :rofl: - jose830 Make yourself look pretty, I want to see lipstick around my cock - Master Cvnt GIF Thread: Distinguished Service Medal - Barnburner 
legendary poster!! - PaulieGualtieri I be loving them gifs you post :fing02: - jose830 Miguel Cotto Gifs :wank: - jose830 some popcorn for the gif king - E.P.T. Happy holidays, Lad! - jazluvr 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - shobox Gay and Lesbian Pride - RiΖO Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - mangler Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - PensionKiller Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - S a m u r a i 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - S a m u r a i Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - S a m u r a i Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - S a m u r a i Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - S a m u r a i Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - S a m u r a i 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - S a m u r a i Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - S a m u r a i Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - S a m u r a i Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - S a m u r a i Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - JM1 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Ether Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - BritishBoxing92 Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - LeeVanCleef Gay and Lesbian Pride - INSECT Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Ether 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMarcianofan00
yea he also makes a mean hamburger on his grill
:-P
sure does i have one!
Old 02-11-2006, 05:19 PM
RockyMarcianofan00
The Rock of His Times

i got the family sized one it, ppl say it dries the meat but you have to do it rite
________
Live Sex

Last edited by RockyMarcianofan00; 08-23-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:20 PM
butterfly1964
The HW Sugar Ray!

Rep Power: 983 butterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond reputebutterfly1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,088,823.14
Total Points: 1,345,890.51

Quote:
i got the family sized one it, ppl say it dries the meat but you have to do it rite
Old 02-11-2006, 05:22 PM
Dirt E Gomez
***Stupendous***

Rep Power: 9750 Dirt E Gomez has a reputation beyond reputeDirt E Gomez has a reputation beyond reputeDirt E Gomez has a reputation beyond reputeDirt E Gomez has a reputation beyond reputeDirt E Gomez has a reputation beyond reputeDirt E Gomez has a reputation beyond reputeDirt E Gomez has a reputation beyond reputeDirt E Gomez has a reputation beyond reputeDirt E Gomez has a reputation beyond reputeDirt E Gomez has a reputation beyond reputeDirt E Gomez has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 693,423,774.63
Total Points: 704,795,876.47
Comes with free herpes - mickey gomez Stuff this up your butt when you think of me. - MizzzouMan Cunt - Rocky C heres your Lockerz invite. fag - Mech. Pollution comments - ABOSWORTH 
Jason FTW! - MANGLER hooahh - Mucus 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr 
Send a message via AIM to Dirt E Gomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw16
The second coming of Foreman won many fights on a single blow on his route to the title. Most notably his knockout of Moorer, although Moorer isn't great. If you watch Foreman fight, his style was to put his hands out in front of him and muscle his opponents into the ropes, where he would start throwing bombs as his opponent is covering up. He never really liked to punch in the center of the ring, which is why he didn't score too many knockouts there. Maybe you are right in terms of his lacking timing, but in terms of pure force behind his punches I think Foreman is the best ever.
You're crazy. He finished off Moorer with like 4 consecutive shots from him getting hit all match with the occasionally heavy hands of Foreman. I agree with most of Kid's post completely. Foreman had what in my eyes is the perfect example of Heavy Hands. They didn't knock you out with one shot as often as they'd just beat you to a pulp with each shot being so tough.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:26 PM
Brockton Lip
Always the Champ

Rep Power: 31 Brockton Lip has a reputation beyond reputeBrockton Lip has a reputation beyond reputeBrockton Lip has a reputation beyond reputeBrockton Lip has a reputation beyond reputeBrockton Lip has a reputation beyond reputeBrockton Lip has a reputation beyond reputeBrockton Lip has a reputation beyond reputeBrockton Lip has a reputation beyond reputeBrockton Lip has a reputation beyond reputeBrockton Lip has a reputation beyond reputeBrockton Lip has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 473,803,092,256.66
Total Points: 7,856,764,990,520.14
you deserve more of these - Alx. Great poster - jas 

Quote:
I have the kind that fits about 2 hamburgers or 2 other things at a time. You're right it doesn't dry them out, that thing is great. Cook anything on that bad boy. Everyone should get one.

Share This With Friends

User Tag List