Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 06-04-2013, 10:14 AM
VG_Addict
king meat's twin

Rep Power: 6 VG_Addict has a reputation beyond reputeVG_Addict has a reputation beyond reputeVG_Addict has a reputation beyond reputeVG_Addict has a reputation beyond reputeVG_Addict has a reputation beyond reputeVG_Addict has a reputation beyond reputeVG_Addict has a reputation beyond reputeVG_Addict has a reputation beyond reputeVG_Addict has a reputation beyond reputeVG_Addict has a reputation beyond reputeVG_Addict has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 2,206,565.13
Happy Birthday. Hope you grow some balls and lose your virginity one day. - Strictly_UG 
Default How to neutralize a jab?

How do you neutralize your opponent's jab? Do you move to the left, out of the way of his left (If he's an orthodox), and then counter his jab with your right cross?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 06-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Cuauhtémoc1520
Head Mexican in Charge

Rep Power: 124 Cuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 29,210,454,008,629.65
Total Points: 29,210,454,266,429.73
Feliz Navidad - El Mustang Have one on me, friend. - Grand Champ Great taste in women - Unknown Champ Legendary poster - Cleto_Reyes please fukk off,..........now take care, your homie in real life, god bless you you bitcch azz, lol, truly your freind, lol, tha greatest - Tha_Greatest 
Here's a beer from Bulgaria - BulgariasFinest Great posts, intelligent poster! Always great reading your stuff :) - Bossy No Message - Freelancer One of the best poster's - arraamis One of the best posters in the 'Scene - ELHURACAN58 
damn homie i missed your 19000 post congrats!    you one the best posters here! - jose830 happy birthday coach! - HUGH JASS Birthday beer, cheers! - MELLY-MEL... i posted &quot;las mañanitas&quot; on the thread before you mention it but took it down thinking it was to gay :lol1: happy birthday bro! - jose830 happy bday - -Mustang- 
Happy bday grandpa! - led* One of Boxingscene's finest! - CubanGuyNYC Cuauhtémoc1520 Knows Boxing! - LoadedWraps P4P, a top poster/knowledgeable - SlySlickSmooth May you never stop spreading your knowledge. - BattlingNelson 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Cuauhtémoc 1502 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Cuauhtémoc 1502 Gay and Lesbian Pride - The Underboss World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - TBear 
Childhood Cancer - TBear Childhood Cancer - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- 

The first thing I teach to defend the jab is to parry or catch the jab. It doesn't matter if you are a lefty or righty, I teach that first.

Now of course, it goes way beyond that. You can neutralize the jab with movement, not just from slips, but from simple distance.

The jab, when thrown properly, is the toughest punch to defend. It should come right from the chin, with no hitch or movement that would make you see it coming.

That's why IMO the parry or catch, is the best and most effective form to defend it. Then you can step on the parry, you can cut distance off of the parry, you can do so many things to really neutralize it but in the end, it takes practice and understanding of movement and distance.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:47 PM
mconstantine
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 11 mconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 2,500,000,167,943.71

It's very easy to neutralize the jab when fighting an opposite handed fighter. Other than that...like guy above me said, catch or parry the jab. Sometimes catching and parrying the jab though can be more dangerous if the guy is using the jab to set up combinations because you begin to get your hands away from your face and open up. If a guy is using jabs to set up stuff behind it, sometimes it's best to either use your legs, escape and reset...or if you got quick hands, immediately counter with something back to stop his follow up punches. The counter option really works well if you slip the jab and counter at the same time.

Example...Marquez's class dip and right upper cut as a counter to the jab. He dips to his left under the jab and any follow up right hand, then counters with a lead left upper cut of his own.

Another good example for southpaw is countering the orthodox jab with a slip to the southpaw's right and straight left hand at the same time.

Defending against the jab is great...but when you can make them pay for throwing the jab by countering, oftentimes you neutralize the jab by making your opponent reluctant to throw it at all.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:51 PM
THE REED™
That Admin Money

Rep Power: 200000 THE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,182,811,492,348,205,568.00
Total Points: 3,182,812,516,295,137,280.00
For being so BOSS! - komodo Straight up G! - komodo Thanks man :hail: - komodo Top man! - komodo BOSS - komodo 
Good talking boxing sir - Atreyu Khalil 50k Posts - Unknown Champ for the Super 50,000 post... - jose830 Congrats on 50K solid KO's.. - !! AI-Holmes!! 50k Posts - BulgariasFinest 
50,000 - TBear Super Mod! Congrats on 50k Reed :D - Bossy 50K - -Mustang- 50k, congrats bro - MELLY-MEL... can't be touched. - Body Movin' 
Happy holidays bro! - led* Happy Birthday champ! - LoadedWraps Congrats on engagement! - Spacey1991 your daughter is adorable, Bless her :fing02: - -jose- is good to put a face to the name THE REED™ even doe you look nothing how I expected lol...I'll give you an 8.5 out of 10...good luck with your future wife :usa2: - -jose- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - BattlingNelson Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - mangler World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - dans01234 AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - !! AI-Holmes!! Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - S a m u r a i 
Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - S a m u r a i Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - S a m u r a i Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - mangler AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - -veteran420- Head and Neck Cancer - Dominicano Soy! 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Makavelli Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - Makavelli Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - QUELOQUE 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Freedom Fighter Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dorian.. Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - iBreakbeat Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Dorian Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Atreyu Khalil 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
The first thing I teach to defend the jab is to parry or catch the jab. It doesn't matter if you are a lefty or righty, I teach that first.

Now of course, it goes way beyond that. You can neutralize the jab with movement, not just from slips, but from simple distance.

The jab, when thrown properly, is the toughest punch to defend. It should come right from the chin, with no hitch or movement that would make you see it coming.

That's why IMO the parry or catch, is the best and most effective form to defend it. Then you can step on the parry, you can cut distance off of the parry, you can do so many things to really neutralize it but in the end, it takes practice and understanding of movement and distance.
Agree with all, to add on, with practice and experience to then begin to adapt to the opponents tells and time the jab with a counter... if you can do it repetitively the opponent will be hesitant to even throw it.

i.e. Floyd.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Cuauhtémoc1520
Head Mexican in Charge

Rep Power: 124 Cuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond reputeCuauhtémoc1520 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 29,210,454,008,629.65
Total Points: 29,210,454,266,429.73
Feliz Navidad - El Mustang Have one on me, friend. - Grand Champ Great taste in women - Unknown Champ Legendary poster - Cleto_Reyes please fukk off,..........now take care, your homie in real life, god bless you you bitcch azz, lol, truly your freind, lol, tha greatest - Tha_Greatest 
Here's a beer from Bulgaria - BulgariasFinest Great posts, intelligent poster! Always great reading your stuff :) - Bossy No Message - Freelancer One of the best poster's - arraamis One of the best posters in the 'Scene - ELHURACAN58 
damn homie i missed your 19000 post congrats!    you one the best posters here! - jose830 happy birthday coach! - HUGH JASS Birthday beer, cheers! - MELLY-MEL... i posted &quot;las mañanitas&quot; on the thread before you mention it but took it down thinking it was to gay :lol1: happy birthday bro! - jose830 happy bday - -Mustang- 
Happy bday grandpa! - led* One of Boxingscene's finest! - CubanGuyNYC Cuauhtémoc1520 Knows Boxing! - LoadedWraps P4P, a top poster/knowledgeable - SlySlickSmooth May you never stop spreading your knowledge. - BattlingNelson 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Cuauhtémoc 1502 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Cuauhtémoc 1502 Gay and Lesbian Pride - The Underboss World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - TBear 
Childhood Cancer - TBear Childhood Cancer - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconstantine View Post
It's very easy to neutralize the jab when fighting an opposite handed fighter. Other than that...like guy above me said, catch or parry the jab. Sometimes catching and parrying the jab though can be more dangerous if the guy is using the jab to set up combinations because you begin to get your hands away from your face and open up. If a guy is using jabs to set up stuff behind it, sometimes it's best to either use your legs, escape and reset...or if you got quick hands, immediately counter with something back to stop his follow up punches. The counter option really works well if you slip the jab and counter at the same time.

Example...Marquez's class dip and right upper cut as a counter to the jab. He dips to his left under the jab and any follow up right hand, then counters with a lead left upper cut of his own.

Another good example for southpaw is countering the orthodox jab with a slip to the southpaw's right and straight left hand at the same time.

Defending against the jab is great...but when you can make them pay for throwing the jab by countering, oftentimes you neutralize the jab by making your opponent reluctant to throw it at all.
For beginners though, the slip is much harder to master. Learning to slip is being able to time the punch and some young fighters find that hard to deal with.

If you catch the jab correctly, it won't get you hit because you don't reach or bring the catch far from your face. I teach it as barely moving your hand, just placing it in front of your face with force. If your opponent feints, you still catch it as if he's throwing it.

Again though, it just takes time and practice. There are some fighters with amazing jabs that are incredibly hard to defend.

I would argue the bolded, come to my gym and there's some lefties we have with amazing jabs that use it very effectively.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:05 PM
DIB42
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 DIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 22,222,461,428.46
Total Points: 22,272,547,206.42

Quote:
DO NOT REACH FOR THE JAB!!!

I see this in sparring all the time, guys will drill and drill and drill and do great, but as soon as its sparring, they start reaching and get thumped.

edit: On the reverse end, if you see a guy reaching out to catch your jab, feint and clock him.

Last edited by DIB42; 06-04-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:07 PM
mconstantine
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 11 mconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
For beginners though, the slip is much harder to master. Learning to slip is being able to time the punch and some young fighters find that hard to deal with.

If you catch the jab correctly, it won't get you hit because you don't reach or bring the catch far from your face. I teach it as barely moving your hand, just placing it in front of your face with force. If your opponent feints, you still catch it as if he's throwing it.

Again though, it just takes time and practice. There are some fighters with amazing jabs that are incredibly hard to defend.

I would argue the bolded, come to my gym and there's some lefties we have with amazing jabs that use it very effectively.
True on bolded, but even if you catch the jab by placing your glove in front of your face, it can open you up for a hook. If a guy continues to catch the jab that way, feint the jab, then loop it into a lead hook and it'll land right around the glove. Easier said than done true, but it's available.

And yea, jab can work well for southpaws. It's easy to neutralize the jab of an opposite hand fighter, but not a lot people know how to do it. It's pretty simple though.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:12 PM
DIB42
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 DIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 22,222,461,428.46
Total Points: 22,272,547,206.42

Quote:
True on bolded, but even if you catch the jab by placing your glove in front of your face, it can open you up for a hook. If a guy continues to catch the jab that way, feint the jab, then loop it into a lead hook and it'll land right around the glove. Easier said than done true, but it's available.

And yea, jab can work well for southpaws. It's easy to neutralize the jab of an opposite hand fighter, but not a lot people know how to do it. It's pretty simple though.
Then you're doing it wrong . . .

Unless you're in a shell I suppose... But in a traditional stance, you're not significantly open for the hook if you're catching properly.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:17 PM
mconstantine
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIB42 View Post
Then you're doing it wrong . . .

Unless you're in a shell I suppose... But in a traditional stance, you're not significantly open for the hook if you're catching properly.
Yea, I did kind of had the shell stance more in mind. I had to visualize this from a more traditional stance and I see what you're saying.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:57 PM
New England
Strong champion.

Rep Power: 106 New England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 169,853,022,517,788.12
Total Points: 175,855,704,181,066.94
Congrats on 3000 First Class Posts buddy! - The Surgeon Merry Christmas - The Surgeon for a great poster! - sweetpea87 Drinks on me brother - BoxingGenius27 I hate boxing too, lmaaoooooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 
thanks for the green...always enjoy reading your post...green you once I can again... - jose830 great poster award - jazluvr Merry Christmas bro. Kick back and enjoy. Surround yourself with your loved ones and have a cold one. - deanrw Happy Holidays  New England - !! AI-Holmes!! Ma nigguh, you should come to Ol' England. - D-MiZe 
for entering the weed thread! - HUGH JASS BoxingScene's Educator-in-chief - Dr Rumack i didn't know you live in that area affected, my heart goes out to you...stay strong homie - jose830 #freeNewEnglang - thuggery Coming home on parole brew. - Sweet Pea 50 
top poster and cool story in my thread of how you first joined boxingscene. - HUGH JASS happy independence day you zulu warrior!!! - HUGH JASS For the fitness and nutrition advice, thanks. - jas A top poster - jas For being a roided up freakazoid - Cuauhtémoc1520 
Childhood Cancer - khepesh Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- Childhood Cancer - sugarsmosley World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - HughJass AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - jas World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - sugarsmosley 

Quote:

good post. you're left handed? martinez did this one with his hands by his knees in his prime.

Last edited by New England; 06-04-2013 at 07:06 PM.