Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
View Poll Results: is power natural
Yes 8 66.67%
No you can develop into a power puncher 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Navigation

Old 03-01-2013, 04:01 AM
Light_Speed
SPEED IS POWER

Rep Power: 53 Light_Speed has a reputation beyond reputeLight_Speed has a reputation beyond reputeLight_Speed has a reputation beyond reputeLight_Speed has a reputation beyond reputeLight_Speed has a reputation beyond reputeLight_Speed has a reputation beyond reputeLight_Speed has a reputation beyond reputeLight_Speed has a reputation beyond reputeLight_Speed has a reputation beyond reputeLight_Speed has a reputation beyond reputeLight_Speed has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,527,311,898,061.19
Total Points: 1,773,312,075,664.96
Good poster - dancovboxer can't green you right now, but here's a gift. good poster - chiguy91 smart man - Alx. Thanks for Stream dude much appreciated - Berges For the Pac shooting gun video - Libido Sanchez 
No Message - chiguy91 thanks for posting the matthysse exhibition - chiguy91 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittlez View Post
Could he have become a power puncher though? How will you rate his power? From 1 to 10?
Could he have just gave up on the dancing during his prime and focused on power punching?

I have this image of Ali coming forward with his granite chin and with 35 extra pounds of muscles and just walking through any heavyweight in history.
I would say probably 7.

I don't think you can become a huge puncher, it's something that you're born with, that extra muscle wouldn't do **** to his power.

Ali coming forward flat-footed wouldn't have been a great fighter.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 03-01-2013, 04:04 AM
Skittlez
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Skittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 191,045.25
No Message - Fire and Fear one of boxingscene's worst posters - Freedom. Where is Tiger??????? - mathed tiger uppercut! - joesaiditstrue No woner you're in the red. Now go fuck yourself in the ass - RossCA 
Name it Lennox - dan_cov Worst poster since Frank Sucketts - dan_cov biased - happyman hate troll - waste of space - Simurgh For the most stupid yet entertaining poster around! Enjoy! - Simurgh 
youre actually not a bad poster, i just find it funny how many kick me's you have. you dont deserve them imo - happyman deserves a kick for constant trolling and alts - I'm so sorry people want to kick you - Freedom. you can pretend it's Lennox Lewis - Freedom. Top 10 p4p NSB/ESB ATG - ArtThouFurious? 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Fire and Fear 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light_Speed View Post
I would say probably 7.

I don't think you can become a huge puncher, it's something that you're born with, that extra muscle wouldn't do **** to his power.

Ali coming forward flat-footed wouldn't have been a great fighter.
I will read up on that. I disagree. I think Ali could have added 20 pounds of muscles and just gave forward and train on power.

Do you think you can train power? Or it's natural?
Old 03-01-2013, 04:12 AM
B-Bomber
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 3 B-Bomber is just really niceB-Bomber is just really niceB-Bomber is just really niceB-Bomber is just really niceB-Bomber is just really nice
Total Points: 23,499.25

Quote:
Could he have become a power puncher though? How will you rate his power? From 1 to 10?
Could he have just gave up on the dancing during his prime and focused on power punching?

I have this image of Ali coming forward with his granite chin and with 35 extra pounds of muscles and just walking through any heavyweight in history.
A 7, 7.5 on a scale of 10.

And he could have at times, depending on the opponent. He punished a couple of his opponents by humiliating them for the whole fight rather than knock them out.

On the other hand, the likes of Foreman, Norton and Frazier are not the kind of guys you want to trade all night with. Especially if you can box.

As said, if he tried to brawl, he could have been good, very good possibly, but not great, in my opinion.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:19 AM
Skittlez
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Skittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond repute
No Message - Fire and Fear one of boxingscene's worst posters - Freedom. Where is Tiger??????? - mathed tiger uppercut! - joesaiditstrue No woner you're in the red. Now go fuck yourself in the ass - RossCA 
Name it Lennox - dan_cov Worst poster since Frank Sucketts - dan_cov biased - happyman hate troll - waste of space - Simurgh For the most stupid yet entertaining poster around! Enjoy! - Simurgh 
youre actually not a bad poster, i just find it funny how many kick me's you have. you dont deserve them imo - happyman deserves a kick for constant trolling and alts - I'm so sorry people want to kick you - Freedom. you can pretend it's Lennox Lewis - Freedom. Top 10 p4p NSB/ESB ATG - ArtThouFurious? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Bomber View Post

And he could have at times, depending on the opponent. He punished a couple of his opponents by humiliating them for the whole fight rather than knock them out.

On the other hand, the likes of Foreman, Norton and Frazier are not the kind of guys you want to trade all night with. Especially if you can box.

As said, if he tried to brawl, he could have been good, very good possibly, but not great, in my opinion.
But Ali has never been knocked out.. so he will just walk you down?
I think that if Ali specifically trained for power, he would have more power than Foreman.

Do you think that it's possible to train specifically for power?

Like if Pauli Malginini trained for power is it possible? Or he's just too ****ty.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:53 AM
Skittlez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Bomber View Post

Why not trade with Norton?
Foreman did.. and Norton ended up getting knocked out.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:34 AM
prinzemanspopa
queenmanspopa

Rep Power: 11 prinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond reputeprinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond reputeprinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond reputeprinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond reputeprinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond reputeprinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond reputeprinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond reputeprinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond reputeprinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond reputeprinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond reputeprinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 525,741.36
No Message - poet682006 No Message - poet682006 No Message - poet682006 Top Poster - Stone Roses! one of boxingscene's best - Freedom. 
Happy New Year - Freedom. 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - poet682006 Gay and Lesbian Pride - poet682006 Gay and Lesbian Pride - poet682006 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - nightowl Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - GALACTUS 

If power were simply something that you could develop, we wouldn't have seen as many feather-fisted fighters as we have seen in this sport throughout it's history.Obviously there's more to punching than simply power, but I do tend to subscribe to the old theory/cliche that "punchers are born, not made."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light_Speed View Post
Anybody who's not a one-punch knockout artist has mediocre power now? lol

For a man of his size, I absolutely believe that he was a mediocre puncher.Enough to keep you honest and no more than that.

Quote:
Why not trade with Norton?
Foreman did.. and Norton ended up getting knocked out.

Well, ya know, those styles......they tend to make certain type of fights.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:48 AM
ShamrockXpress
Contender

Rep Power: 2 ShamrockXpress has a reputation beyond reputeShamrockXpress has a reputation beyond reputeShamrockXpress has a reputation beyond reputeShamrockXpress has a reputation beyond reputeShamrockXpress has a reputation beyond reputeShamrockXpress has a reputation beyond reputeShamrockXpress has a reputation beyond reputeShamrockXpress has a reputation beyond reputeShamrockXpress has a reputation beyond reputeShamrockXpress has a reputation beyond reputeShamrockXpress has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 19,607.79

Punchers are born not made, its not just about power, it's a combination of speed, technique, power, timing and a lot to do with a fighters mentality. True punchers like McClellan, Jackson, foreman, hamed didn't want to box, they believed in their ability to score knock outs and went searching for them, abandoning there boxing skills
Old 03-01-2013, 07:52 AM
Rome-By-Ko
Bradley Top 3

Rep Power: 49 Rome-By-Ko has a reputation beyond reputeRome-By-Ko has a reputation beyond reputeRome-By-Ko has a reputation beyond reputeRome-By-Ko has a reputation beyond reputeRome-By-Ko has a reputation beyond reputeRome-By-Ko has a reputation beyond reputeRome-By-Ko has a reputation beyond reputeRome-By-Ko has a reputation beyond reputeRome-By-Ko has a reputation beyond reputeRome-By-Ko has a reputation beyond reputeRome-By-Ko has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 662,679,900,596,629.88
Total Points: 668,704,490,250,291.50
Happy Holidays Bro! - Lorily thanks - Dale Cardon No Message - romebyko You da man Rome!! - Lorily Happy Christmas to a great poster - Dave Rado 
Happy Holidays sweetheart! - Lorily ''I score effective boxing,not effective running...'' Super quote! - dan_cov Bradley Salutes You Sir! - mathed Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil What up Bradley tribe - hougigo 
I'm digging your avi :beerchug: :hail: Tony Soprano - jose830 RBK &gt; Dirk Diggler = Rome By KO! - LoadedWraps Bradley Tribe - mathed STORMTROOPERS - DonMega War Tribe - Hougigo 
STORMTROOPERS!!!!!! - mathed To a true stormtrooper! - DonMega To a valiant warrior. - DonMega Bradley Tribe!!!!! - mathed To a great poster and fellow Trooper! - LoadedWraps 

Quote:
Is power natural? Or could Ali have developed into a power puncher. I often felt that if Ali had sat down on his punches more.. he could have been a p4p punching monster. He definitely had the calves to generate massive power.
If you take a close look at Ali's rec..He knockout all the power punchers who was suppose to KO Ali..Just saying,Ali had power..I don't know if I would call him a power puncher..But he had power for sure..
Old 03-01-2013, 08:05 AM
bojangles1987
bo jungle

Rep Power: 108 bojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 739,712,915,018.78
Total Points: 3,016,713,209,544.22
Thought ya could use a drink.. - romebyko For your triangle theory sig - rorymac merry xmas. - Ether Awesome sig... Love me some Breaking Bad. - Burning Phoenix that triangle theories sig haha - Alx. 
it takes courage just to agree to donate an organ to someone :fing02: - jose830 thanks for the update - jose830 Thanks for the video of Bradley-Provodnikov - kennylimon Cotto looked rejuvenated out there - -jose- for an atg poster! - jas 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

Ali's power is kind of underrated. Not full on underrated, but kind of. He hurt people, and stopped fighters that were hard to stop.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:10 AM
J.Dempsey
Boards...don't hit back!

Rep Power: 8 J.Dempsey has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Dempsey has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Dempsey has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Dempsey has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Dempsey has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Dempsey has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Dempsey has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Dempsey has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Dempsey has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Dempsey has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Dempsey has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 9,186,721,528,292.49
Total Points: 9,186,721,539,339.49

i think you can be born with genetics that help with the power: heavy hands, strong wrists and legs.
but ultimately I believe you can train to be a power puncher. After all the ability to apply power is down to physics and science of the muscles and timing which by all means can be altered by intelligent training and skill
Jack Demsey who was quite a powerful puncher, believed punchers are made and not born, he wrote a book on it, you can read it here:

http://cdn.preterhuman.net/texts/sur...20Fighting.pdf

give it a read and (if you box) try it out...but it's still worth a read