Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
View Poll Results: Do we over glorify the past?
No.. It's justified. The past did have more talent 4 21.05%
It depends.. if we go too far back.. I don't like it. 70's-90's is fine 8 42.11%
Yes we over glorify the past.. Today's boxers is just as good 7 36.84%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Navigation

Old 03-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Skittlez
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Skittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 194,606.25
No Message - Fire and Fear one of boxingscene's worst posters - Freedom. Where is Tiger??????? - mathed tiger uppercut! - joesaiditstrue No woner you're in the red. Now go fuck yourself in the ass - RossCA 
Name it Lennox - dan_cov Worst poster since Frank Sucketts - dan_cov biased - happyman hate troll - waste of space - Simurgh For the most stupid yet entertaining poster around! Enjoy! - Simurgh 
youre actually not a bad poster, i just find it funny how many kick me's you have. you dont deserve them imo - happyman deserves a kick for constant trolling and alts - I'm so sorry people want to kick you - Freedom. you can pretend it's Lennox Lewis - Freedom. Top 10 p4p NSB/ESB ATG - ArtThouFurious? 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Fire and Fear 
Default As boxing fans do we over glorify the past? Or is it justified?

I think it's in between.

What I mean is ... you can clearly see that the 175 Division during the 70's and early-mid 80's is miles and miles above the 168-175 division today.

The likes of Spinks-Johnson-even MSM will walk through the current 175.. It makes me shudder to think of what Spinks would do to guys like Froch or Dawson.

The 90's clearly had more heavyweight talent and the 160-168 was obviously superior to today.

BUT... I feel that guys going as far back as the 20's is over doing it a bit.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 03-02-2013, 01:55 PM
The Gambler1981
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 51 The Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,155,619,604,863.95
Total Points: 3,166,219,719,135.56
respect. - mellow_mood you deserve a metal for defending the woman beater, lol, nyahahaha - Tha_Greatest always a good poster. have a beer. - jreckoning \m/ - Kenny MF Powers thanks brother - mrpain81 
great easy logical advice you gave for others on the thunderdome for trolls like me, lol, everything you stated i have stated to many people but few people would take mind of what you wrote, lol, excellent post, plain  logic to keep your composure fo - Tha_Greatest No Message - mathed thatll be 5$ - sugarsmosley 

I say yes, but I also think a great fighter in any era would find a way to make it work in any era.

I like a method where you judge a guy against their contemporaries then rate their greatness in comparison to their own era, then you judge guys on how great they were to their peers.

If any baseball fans out there think WAR for boxing.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:30 PM
turkas
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 0 turkas is infamous around these partsturkas is infamous around these partsturkas is infamous around these partsturkas is infamous around these partsturkas is infamous around these partsturkas is infamous around these partsturkas is infamous around these partsturkas is infamous around these partsturkas is infamous around these partsturkas is infamous around these partsturkas is infamous around these parts
Bank: 878,243,277.55
Total Points: 1,919,286,808.19
Thanks mate :) - dancovboxer Drink Up - mathed 

This is nothing unique to boxing, every sport does this it history.

Hell, this is just a common thing with History in general. We always tend to long for the past for some reason. When you ask someone who the best president was they are more than likely going to give you a name from the 18th, 19th, or early 20th century and when you ask them why they can't tell you because they don't know anything about them or what they did.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:05 PM
ToyBulldog
Banned

Total Points: 2,091.56

Guys in the '20s were fighting as welterweight champs going up and beating heavyweights. I don't think it's overglorifying at all. They were deemed the Roarin' 20s for a reason.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:20 PM
jri9d0
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 14 jri9d0 has a reputation beyond reputejri9d0 has a reputation beyond reputejri9d0 has a reputation beyond reputejri9d0 has a reputation beyond reputejri9d0 has a reputation beyond reputejri9d0 has a reputation beyond reputejri9d0 has a reputation beyond reputejri9d0 has a reputation beyond reputejri9d0 has a reputation beyond reputejri9d0 has a reputation beyond reputejri9d0 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,216,882.58
Be Joyful - Gift Giver good poster - -pound4pound- this pinoy doesn't believe in 1 beer, have another - -pound4pound- ran out of green - jazluvr for your collection - sugarsmosley 

I don't think so. I especially put these fighters in a higher regard because unlike the fighters of today those of yesteryear fought without suspicion of PED use and didn't make as many excuses as why they couldn't make a mega event.

Can you imagine Ali/Frazier never fighting because one isn't deemed as popular in the public's eyes?

Or how about not coming to terms to fight because another decided he was on vacation?

To be honest, stylistically I really think only a few of today's fighters might be able to hang with those of yesteryears.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:28 PM
The Tase
Banned

Rep Power: 0 The Tase has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tase has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tase has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tase has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tase has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tase has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tase has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tase has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tase has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tase has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tase has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,910,687,908,228.25
Total Points: 1,910,688,980,836.09
i remember this mofo &quot;rif raf&quot; from this old show called from G's to gents :lol1: he's afocking waste of space...thanks for the green! - jose830 A glass of the finest French wine (thx for k) - QuebecSTAR2 on me - sugarsmosley I hear you lad - Rocky... wears his heart on his sleeve - jas 

Yes.

Putting fighters with no fight footage in the top 5 all time is shameless and dishonest.

Referees as judges, black fighters royally screwed left and right, italian mafia controlled fights....

Golden Era = Tainted Era
Old 03-03-2013, 07:08 PM
2todabody
Up and Comer

Total Points: 2,036.89

I think us older guys do, but with some good reasoning, the big $$$, and promotional monopolies involved with todays boxing have the best fighters not fighting each other, good young fighters not getting a chance because of risk/reward or not popular enough, makes you wish for the older days.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:12 PM
tangalog2200
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 8 tangalog2200 has a reputation beyond reputetangalog2200 has a reputation beyond reputetangalog2200 has a reputation beyond reputetangalog2200 has a reputation beyond reputetangalog2200 has a reputation beyond reputetangalog2200 has a reputation beyond reputetangalog2200 has a reputation beyond reputetangalog2200 has a reputation beyond reputetangalog2200 has a reputation beyond reputetangalog2200 has a reputation beyond reputetangalog2200 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 410,945.49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jri9d0 View Post
I don't think so. I especially put these fighters in a higher regard because unlike the fighters of today those of yesteryear fought without suspicion of PED use and didn't make as many excuses as why they couldn't make a mega event.

Can you imagine Ali/Frazier never fighting because one isn't deemed as popular in the public's eyes?

Or how about not coming to terms to fight because another decided he was on vacation?

To be honest, stylistically I really think only a few of today's fighters might be able to hang with those of yesteryears.
you have very valid points up there.

i have watched ali/frazier/leonard/hagler/hearn etc and is still watching fighters of today and i easily say the old bunch were better in so many ways