Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
View Poll Results: Is Golden Boy/Haymon on the verge of controlling Boxing?
Yes, GB is the future 14 53.85%
No, Boxing will stay as it currently is 10 38.46%
Unsure, something else can happen 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Navigation

Old 02-24-2013, 11:59 PM
artfuL_
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 8 artfuL_ has a reputation beyond reputeartfuL_ has a reputation beyond reputeartfuL_ has a reputation beyond reputeartfuL_ has a reputation beyond reputeartfuL_ has a reputation beyond reputeartfuL_ has a reputation beyond reputeartfuL_ has a reputation beyond reputeartfuL_ has a reputation beyond reputeartfuL_ has a reputation beyond reputeartfuL_ has a reputation beyond reputeartfuL_ has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,073,816.95
Cheers! - Beercules one of the greats - jas 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jas 
Default Is Golden Boy/Haymon on the verge of controlling Boxing?

Think about it for a second and how much the boxing landscape has changed over recent years.

With Golden Boy's close relationship with Stephen Espinoza - Vice President and General Manager of Showtime Sports - it has allowed them to broadcast many fights recently after their HBO output deal has since concluded. Such a link has effectively turned Showtime into a unofficial networking partner.

Couple the fact that Showtime has now captured Mayweather from the industry leader HBO and this leaves HBO with a gaping hole in terms of their superstar potential - the KO loss of Pacquiao does not help. This would mean HBO would be keen to throw money towards a young and appealing boxer such as Broner - another GB fighter.

Trying to secure a boxer such as Broner to HBO their would leave GB/Haymon possessing arguably the most important fighters in the sport. Enabling them with a stranglehold of both broadcasting companies.

The growth of GB over the last few years has been interesting to see as has the decline of their greatest rival Top Rank.

In my opinion I can't see Top Rank lasting long in this battle with recent upsets of Pacquaio and a limited roster, it will be hard to see the likes of Donaire and Rios carrying the Top Rank brand.

Throw in the expected retirements in the upcoming years of greats Marquez and Pacquaio and it will be very difficult for Top Rank to compete with Golden Boy.

Please share/add/discuss. I should add this is purely an opinion that I am sharing, I am not for or against either company as both are capable of poor conduct.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 02-25-2013, 12:04 AM
ItsTrue
Banned

Rep Power: 0 ItsTrue has a reputation beyond reputeItsTrue has a reputation beyond reputeItsTrue has a reputation beyond reputeItsTrue has a reputation beyond reputeItsTrue has a reputation beyond reputeItsTrue has a reputation beyond reputeItsTrue has a reputation beyond reputeItsTrue has a reputation beyond reputeItsTrue has a reputation beyond reputeItsTrue has a reputation beyond reputeItsTrue has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 140,016,409,272.41
Total Points: 141,016,509,574.26

Imagine in one years time what would happen if they GB & Haymon told HBO they were gonna take Broner to Showtime unless they cut Top Rank out.

They would literally just have Pac Donaire and Golovkin who im sure is gonna need GB's fighters.

Bob is in big big trouble.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:16 AM
artfuL_
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 8 artfuL_ has a reputation beyond reputeartfuL_ has a reputation beyond reputeartfuL_ has a reputation beyond reputeartfuL_ has a reputation beyond reputeartfuL_ has a reputation beyond reputeartfuL_ has a reputation beyond reputeartfuL_ has a reputation beyond reputeartfuL_ has a reputation beyond reputeartfuL_ has a reputation beyond reputeartfuL_ has a reputation beyond reputeartfuL_ has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,073,816.95
Cheers! - Beercules one of the greats - jas 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jas 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTrue View Post
Imagine in one years time what would happen if they GB & Haymon told HBO they were gonna take Broner to Showtime unless they cut Top Rank out.

They would literally just have Pac Donaire and Golovkin who im sure is gonna need GB's fighters.

Bob is in big big trouble.
My exact point, GB/Haymon are in the drivers seat and are in a possible position where they can dictate to HBO.

HBO need GB/Haymon more than GB/Haymon need Showtime.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:20 AM
Scarcaztic
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Scarcaztic has a reputation beyond reputeScarcaztic has a reputation beyond reputeScarcaztic has a reputation beyond reputeScarcaztic has a reputation beyond reputeScarcaztic has a reputation beyond reputeScarcaztic has a reputation beyond reputeScarcaztic has a reputation beyond reputeScarcaztic has a reputation beyond reputeScarcaztic has a reputation beyond reputeScarcaztic has a reputation beyond reputeScarcaztic has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 100,890,118,588.23
Cashflow - mathed good posts - thuggery troll - The Problem 

I don't care. As long as 1 promotional company can get all the fighters, I'm fine with that.

Turn that **** into the UFC, and set up a ranking system. The champ should be able to sell himself, just by being the champ.

If it's Goldenboy and Al Haymon, all the power to them. If it's Top Rank, all the power to them.

We just can't have 10 different promotional companies.

Fugg it. Start a monopoly.

Also, **** all those damn belts. 1-2 belts top. Champ vs. Champ for unification bout. That's it.

Last edited by Scarcaztic; 02-25-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:47 AM
Ringlife
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 14 Ringlife has a reputation beyond reputeRinglife has a reputation beyond reputeRinglife has a reputation beyond reputeRinglife has a reputation beyond reputeRinglife has a reputation beyond reputeRinglife has a reputation beyond reputeRinglife has a reputation beyond reputeRinglife has a reputation beyond reputeRinglife has a reputation beyond reputeRinglife has a reputation beyond reputeRinglife has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 955,579,503.77
Total Points: 200,955,720,462.22
Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 

Golden Boy and Al Haymon are the future of boxing. They have both Showtime and HBO right where they want them in the palm of their hands. Kinda like the douche bag on my avatar use to a couple of years back. GBP is controlling the sport right now though.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:48 AM
Check_hooks
The Don of NSB

Rep Power: 44 Check_hooks has a reputation beyond reputeCheck_hooks has a reputation beyond reputeCheck_hooks has a reputation beyond reputeCheck_hooks has a reputation beyond reputeCheck_hooks has a reputation beyond reputeCheck_hooks has a reputation beyond reputeCheck_hooks has a reputation beyond reputeCheck_hooks has a reputation beyond reputeCheck_hooks has a reputation beyond reputeCheck_hooks has a reputation beyond reputeCheck_hooks has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 899,418,781,870,899,712.00
Total Points: 907,318,781,970,916,096.00
have a blue parallelogram - Jack Napier Legend ass poster. Keeping dirty ass flomos on lockdown 24/7 - Neutral warrrrrrrrrrrrr pakyaw - Lotus Flower War Pac! - Talisayen Pac by brutal KO! - Talisayen 
best weekend ever - Fighting_Pride Pactard 4ever - -MARKAVELLI- Manny Manny Mannny - PAC-BOY No Message - Dehydrator Best dude wins - Capaedia 
you can name it lil pacquiao so you can shove it up your ass - xcaret IV check_hooks is the boss of all bosses - I'm so sorry check_hooks is a legend - thuggery I apologize it was uncalled for - Jloro happy holidays, great poster - sugarsmosley 
ATG poster - jas It's Pacquiaos, Put it in your mouth - BrushMyHair One of the greats - jas Great Loma vs GRJ Prediction - jas Thanks for the stream! - mathed 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Nemisis Gay and Lesbian Pride - NO PANIC! Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - jas Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - jas 

HBO and Top Rank know how to build fighters into PPV superstars

GBP and SHO don't

It's that simple
Old 02-25-2013, 12:49 AM
PBP
ATG

Rep Power: 34 PBP has a reputation beyond reputePBP has a reputation beyond reputePBP has a reputation beyond reputePBP has a reputation beyond reputePBP has a reputation beyond reputePBP has a reputation beyond reputePBP has a reputation beyond reputePBP has a reputation beyond reputePBP has a reputation beyond reputePBP has a reputation beyond reputePBP has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,162,638,693,236,111.75
Total Points: 1,162,769,693,516,308.00
how do you not have any gifts yet? you're a good poster - I'm so sorry great posts! - JAB5239 No Message - mathed STORMTROOPERS - DonMega A pleasure to read your insightful comments - techliam 
It's Easter time, here's an Easter Egg for being an ATG poster - jas for a poster who really knows his sh1t - jas Master poster and socio! - CubanGuyNYC ATG sign. - Box-Office 

The only problem with one promoter having too much power is the potential for more robberies and decisions in favor of the popular fighters/money makers.

But that goes on regardless with all promoters from as large as Top Rank to as small as the Miami company that promoted the Barthelemy fight earlier this year.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:20 AM
KickAzz
Banned

Rep Power: 0 KickAzz has a reputation beyond reputeKickAzz has a reputation beyond reputeKickAzz has a reputation beyond reputeKickAzz has a reputation beyond reputeKickAzz has a reputation beyond reputeKickAzz has a reputation beyond reputeKickAzz has a reputation beyond reputeKickAzz has a reputation beyond reputeKickAzz has a reputation beyond reputeKickAzz has a reputation beyond reputeKickAzz has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,000,069,686.23

No one promotional outfit will be able to control boxing from flyweight to heavyweight unless they do what Dana White did with MMA.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:54 AM
Scarcaztic
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Scarcaztic has a reputation beyond reputeScarcaztic has a reputation beyond reputeScarcaztic has a reputation beyond reputeScarcaztic has a reputation beyond reputeScarcaztic has a reputation beyond reputeScarcaztic has a reputation beyond reputeScarcaztic has a reputation beyond reputeScarcaztic has a reputation beyond reputeScarcaztic has a reputation beyond reputeScarcaztic has a reputation beyond reputeScarcaztic has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 100,890,118,588.23
Cashflow - mathed good posts - thuggery troll - The Problem 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBP View Post
The only problem with one promoter having too much power is the potential for more robberies and decisions in favor of the popular fighters/money makers.

But that goes on regardless with all promoters from as large as Top Rank to as small as the Miami company that promoted the Barthelemy fight earlier this year.
Well then that's the price we'll have to pay, I guess. As long as we get unification bouts, with no BS.

The most important thing to me is, knowing who the best is at each weight class.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:59 AM
RichardPerez
Undisputed Champion

Location: Los Angeles / Sylmar / San Fernando Valley, California
Rep Power: 8 RichardPerez has a reputation beyond reputeRichardPerez has a reputation beyond reputeRichardPerez has a reputation beyond reputeRichardPerez has a reputation beyond reputeRichardPerez has a reputation beyond reputeRichardPerez has a reputation beyond reputeRichardPerez has a reputation beyond reputeRichardPerez has a reputation beyond reputeRichardPerez has a reputation beyond reputeRichardPerez has a reputation beyond reputeRichardPerez has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 119,882.06
Send a message via AIM to RichardPerez

GGG golofvkin aint toprank, also I see HBO teaming up with Zanfer probably to fill in gaps for fights.