Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
Thread Navigation

Old 02-22-2013, 04:51 PM
richardt
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 29 richardt has a reputation beyond reputerichardt has a reputation beyond reputerichardt has a reputation beyond reputerichardt has a reputation beyond reputerichardt has a reputation beyond reputerichardt has a reputation beyond reputerichardt has a reputation beyond reputerichardt has a reputation beyond reputerichardt has a reputation beyond reputerichardt has a reputation beyond reputerichardt has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,005,128,167.18
great poster - thuggery Props for cutting for Roy Jones - Boxing Goat Great poster - Boxing Goat first ballot hof poster - sugarsmosley 

Someone said it is because of Technology. No, it has nothing to do with Technology, the Internet, Social Media, because ALL SPORTS would be affected, not just Boxing! So John's question remains - why are the newspapers not focusing on Boxing as in the past. I don't know the real answer other than I think in ways Pac and Mayweather have helped Boxing but also hurt it by not fighting each others when ALL THE GREATS of the 70's/80's fought each other and Prima Donna's Pac and Floyd have not. Plus now the news has more to do with PED's than the inside life of a Boxer. If Guerrero beats Maweather, he becomes a great story of a Boxing Star who leads a crusade on Cancer. THAT deserves front page news for many reasons. Hey Ice.....it's me Richard......you know my last name starts with a "T" so I won't write it here for privacy but I wanted to give you a hollar out an say hi without giving myself away.

Last edited by richardt; 02-22-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 02-22-2013, 04:58 PM
richardt
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 29 richardt has a reputation beyond reputerichardt has a reputation beyond reputerichardt has a reputation beyond reputerichardt has a reputation beyond reputerichardt has a reputation beyond reputerichardt has a reputation beyond reputerichardt has a reputation beyond reputerichardt has a reputation beyond reputerichardt has a reputation beyond reputerichardt has a reputation beyond reputerichardt has a reputation beyond repute
great poster - thuggery Props for cutting for Roy Jones - Boxing Goat Great poster - Boxing Goat first ballot hof poster - sugarsmosley 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAME2010 View Post
as said above... technology.. internet.. etc
Wrong answer. All sports would be equally fazed by Technology, not just Boxing. Thats why the question came up regarding Boxing having to take a backseat on Newspapers.......the internet is an even playing field, but newpapers are no longer glorifying Boxing like they used to.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:06 PM
Dr Rumack
Vaya con Dios

Rep Power: 18 Dr Rumack has a reputation beyond reputeDr Rumack has a reputation beyond reputeDr Rumack has a reputation beyond reputeDr Rumack has a reputation beyond reputeDr Rumack has a reputation beyond reputeDr Rumack has a reputation beyond reputeDr Rumack has a reputation beyond reputeDr Rumack has a reputation beyond reputeDr Rumack has a reputation beyond reputeDr Rumack has a reputation beyond reputeDr Rumack has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 3,017,000,137,648.27
knowledgeable poster - thuggery for being a solid poster - Cuauhtémoc1520 Great poster - E.P.T. Good poster. Thumbs up, Doc! - CubanGuyNYC eat fresh - sugarsmosley 

It's not on TV. Boxing (or its promoters) ran to the big bucks of HBO and their ilk, putting it out of the reach of a huge proportion of the US population. Of course people aren't as interested in it if it's not on their TV that much.

And why would the main networks stir up interest in a product that's controlled by HBO and Showtime? They wouldn't, and they don't.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:13 PM
richardt
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Rumack View Post
It's not on TV. Boxing (or its promoters) ran to the big bucks of HBO and their ilk, putting it out of the reach of a huge proportion of the US population. Of course people aren't as interested in it if it's not on their TV that much. And why would the main networks stir up interest in a product that's controlled by HBO and Showtime? They wouldn't, and they don't.
Very good answer!! Even though other sports are also on cable/dish networks too - the Super Bowl, the World Series, etc., are on free TV!! When was the last time current TOP fighters like Floyd, Pac, and other PFP fighters were on free TV? Never. There is a big part of the answer. That makes me dispise the fact that Canelo, Floyd, Pac, Chavez Junior, and other names charge an arm and a leg for PPV when the freaking Super Bowl, the World Series is on free TV!! The SUPERFIGHTS should be on free TV to build up interest but money grubbing a$$holes have monopolized the sport. I remember when Chavez Junior vs some clubfighter of the month was on PPV!!!!! Chavez's old PPV cards weren't even worthy of HBO/Showtime or even ShowBox, more like ESPN and yet they were on PPV!! What the absolute fuk??!!! Now I'm getting started....I need to calm down, lol. I could calm down a lot easier if I could punch out some Execs who helped move Boxing away from free TV......but at least NBC is sort of back in the Boxing Biz....this weekend as an example and now Floyd is working with CBS. But whoever put a number of those gravy train Chavez vs Clubfighter PPV cards together should have the crap beaten out of them. They were essentially charging PPV for an ESPN type of card. Money grubbing fuks using the Chavez name. But Juama was also on a PPV card 2 weeks ago right after losing 2 fights in a row by KO!!! Juanma vs a no name on PPV???? Anyone have an Alka Selzer by any chance??

Last edited by richardt; 02-22-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:02 AM
F!x
It's In!

Rep Power: 7 F!x has a reputation beyond reputeF!x has a reputation beyond reputeF!x has a reputation beyond reputeF!x has a reputation beyond reputeF!x has a reputation beyond reputeF!x has a reputation beyond reputeF!x has a reputation beyond reputeF!x has a reputation beyond reputeF!x has a reputation beyond reputeF!x has a reputation beyond reputeF!x has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 535,827.26

It's because of the nature of the sport and more politically correct, humanitarian society that is being pushed - even though I think that is largely for show rather than a genuine ideology if you look at Guantanamo Bay, and the US attack and occupation of Iraq - the government are still very much war-mongering savages.

But a sport like boxing, where one of the main elements (for many fighters, not all) is to cause physical harm to the opponent, it's something which brings morality into question - at least that's the reason given for it's decline by the mainstream moral guardians. It's viewed as "barbaric" and "brutal". But like I say, it's hypocritical - they invade countries, murder innocent people and put that on display everywhere like a trophy, but they frown upon two men entering a ring for unarmed combat with strict rules and regulations to try and ensure their ultimate health and safety. Go figure.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:07 AM
paulf
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 30 paulf has a reputation beyond reputepaulf has a reputation beyond reputepaulf has a reputation beyond reputepaulf has a reputation beyond reputepaulf has a reputation beyond reputepaulf has a reputation beyond reputepaulf has a reputation beyond reputepaulf has a reputation beyond reputepaulf has a reputation beyond reputepaulf has a reputation beyond reputepaulf has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 6,328.11
Total Points: 6,080,660,561.21
you need gifts - TuRoK'em Have a slice - Toney Loc one of boxingscene's best - Freedom. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. happy birthday - -jose- 
A beer for the bday boy! - led 

I have tons of copies of the Milwaukee Journal that my grandfather kept, from the 40s-50s, and it's crazy how much boxing is in the paper.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:36 AM
TBear
Lords of Boxingscene

Rep Power: 431 TBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 538,273,446,238,532,736.00
Total Points: 538,273,446,238,544,832.00
great espn gallery!! , just finished wlad vs jackson.another great quality upload. - CAPT AMSTERDAM Some espn classic fights... awesome thread T!  I can't beleive I've never seen it - jose830 i couldn't green you , so here's a beer TBear!! - HUGH JASS GIF Thread: Distinguished Service Medal - Barnburner I be loving them gifs you post :fing02: - jose830 
One of BScenes best - jazluvr happy holidays bro - jazluvr thanks T...Merry Christmas to you too. - -jose- lol sorry about the rose, I meant to send you some bubbly lol - -jose- Happy Holidays, bud! - Talisayen 
Happy Holidays, TBear! - peyk-peyk Good looking out, TBear! - Fistic everything good T thanks for asking - -jose- blue parallelogram to you :D - lebrick legendary - lazy 
Classic Boxing Pictures - - Ram Raid - Hope you had a good long weekend. - -jose- Thanks for honoring your bet in a timely manner bro, cheers! - Tyler_Durden honestly T I believe you would make the perfect Mod you got my vote... is it cool with you if I post that on the thread? - -jose- tried to green ya but ive given too much in the last 24 hours, i still got your bakk - Tha_Greatest 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - S A M U R A I Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - S A M U R A I Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - S A M U R A I Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - MANGLER Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - MANGLER 
Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - MANGLER World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - !! AI-Holmes!! Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - cooper5 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Izrock AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Raider Monkz 
Head and Neck Cancer - Izrock Childhood Cancer - ??? Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ??? Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Hard Dick Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Unknown Champ 
Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - BABYBOXER Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Daniel Alpha Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Trudoe 

I remember that era. I also remember getting up Saturday and Sunday and first thing checking the tv-guide to see what time all the fights were starting on free network tv. The afternoons were crowded with boxing action. Great times. We would have Tuesday night fights on USA, Monday night fights on Prime and another weekly show thanks to Top Rank and espn. Really, there were too many fights on tv a week! And I never missed a one!
Old 02-23-2013, 02:47 AM
TBear
Lords of Boxingscene

Rep Power: 431 TBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond reputeTBear has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 538,273,446,238,532,736.00
Total Points: 538,273,446,238,544,832.00
great espn gallery!! , just finished wlad vs jackson.another great quality upload. - CAPT AMSTERDAM Some espn classic fights... awesome thread T!  I can't beleive I've never seen it - jose830 i couldn't green you , so here's a beer TBear!! - HUGH JASS GIF Thread: Distinguished Service Medal - Barnburner I be loving them gifs you post :fing02: - jose830 
One of BScenes best - jazluvr happy holidays bro - jazluvr thanks T...Merry Christmas to you too. - -jose- lol sorry about the rose, I meant to send you some bubbly lol - -jose- Happy Holidays, bud! - Talisayen 
Happy Holidays, TBear! - peyk-peyk Good looking out, TBear! - Fistic everything good T thanks for asking - -jose- blue parallelogram to you :D - lebrick legendary - lazy 
Classic Boxing Pictures - - Ram Raid - Hope you had a good long weekend. - -jose- Thanks for honoring your bet in a timely manner bro, cheers! - Tyler_Durden honestly T I believe you would make the perfect Mod you got my vote... is it cool with you if I post that on the thread? - -jose- tried to green ya but ive given too much in the last 24 hours, i still got your bakk - Tha_Greatest 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - S A M U R A I Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - S A M U R A I Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - S A M U R A I Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - MANGLER Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - MANGLER 
Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - MANGLER World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - !! AI-Holmes!! Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - cooper5 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Izrock AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Raider Monkz 
Head and Neck Cancer - Izrock Childhood Cancer - ??? Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ??? Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Hard Dick Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Unknown Champ 
Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - BABYBOXER Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Daniel Alpha Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Trudoe 

But I do remember the times where boxing was not ignored by the main stream media. Shame on them! Their loss!
Old 02-27-2013, 10:36 AM
ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 34 ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY has a reputation beyond reputeICEMAN JOHN SCULLY has a reputation beyond reputeICEMAN JOHN SCULLY has a reputation beyond reputeICEMAN JOHN SCULLY has a reputation beyond reputeICEMAN JOHN SCULLY has a reputation beyond reputeICEMAN JOHN SCULLY has a reputation beyond reputeICEMAN JOHN SCULLY has a reputation beyond reputeICEMAN JOHN SCULLY has a reputation beyond reputeICEMAN JOHN SCULLY has a reputation beyond reputeICEMAN JOHN SCULLY has a reputation beyond reputeICEMAN JOHN SCULLY has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 23,071,428,901.59
Total Points: 23,171,786,750.97
boxingscene's Top Ten Serious Posters - mickey gomez ICE IS THE MAN! - S a m u r a i Paid his dues - RunW/Knives Cash for the Iceman - RunW/Knives Sick fighter all heart - RunW/Knives 
Skill and Know also, but Lion Heart. - RunW/Knives BScene's treasure! - jazluvr Thanks for the help and Happy New Year! - The Surgeon enjoyed your fights, you are awesome - happyman one of the great posters - jas 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - street bully Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jazluvr 

Boxing during that general era was at its peak in terms of being widely and frequently watch...so many big fights on free TV on so many different stations...
Old 02-27-2013, 11:17 AM
komodo
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 18 komodo has a reputation beyond reputekomodo has a reputation beyond reputekomodo has a reputation beyond reputekomodo has a reputation beyond reputekomodo has a reputation beyond reputekomodo has a reputation beyond reputekomodo has a reputation beyond reputekomodo has a reputation beyond reputekomodo has a reputation beyond reputekomodo has a reputation beyond reputekomodo has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 275,240,307,271,753.62
Total Points: 279,167,697,080,812.81
here you go bro - chiguy91 have a beer bro - Talisayen egt - D.I.E.S.E.L egt - D.I.E.S.E.L egt - D.I.E.S.E.L 
drink up.. - AL YANKAB*TCH No Message - eddie_monster cheers bro! - chiguy91 gift - MANGLER have a TV bro - chiguy91 
Some popcorn for ya - arraamis Have a pretzel - eddie_monster Here you go - ??? bottle of drank - MANGLER have an apple this time. - chiguy91 
Chocolate Milk :D - Very Rich Man thanx - Starof David Cheers bro - dan_cov No Message - Starof David A gift, a book, knowledge is important for this World :) - Jadon 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ??? Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - AL YANKAB*TCH AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ??? Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - MANGLER Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Very Rich Man 
Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Starof David Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Starof David Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Starof David Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jose830 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jose830 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Jadon Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - Jury Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Jury Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - MANGLER Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - MANGLER 

TBF I don't really know much about the sate of the boxing game in the States when it comes to mainstream coverage, but in the UK the big domestic fights or big fights involving domestic fighters usually get a lot of coverage in the mainstream media which can only be a positive for boxing in general.